2nd game: USA VS. Argentina (r)

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by jpg75, Jun 22, 2007.

1. soybostero

soybostero Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Miami
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Wow...I'm arrogant because I believed the first 45 minutes were dull?

The US attacked twice in the first half, quite adventurous.

And you may be correct sir on the fact that Argentina hasn't won anything in a while, yes, since the last time they won a World Cup was over 20 years ago. But well there is World Cup played every 4 years, meaning they won 1 of the last 6. 2 of the last 8 I believe (I'm doing the math in my head). Meaning we've won roughly 25% of the last 8 World Cups, no?

Enlighten me and the rest of us please and remind me of what World Cup the U.S. has ever won please? You mention Diego as being fat and retired "a long time ago", again please grace us with a name of a U.S. soccer player that can live up to the greatness that surrounds Diego, that has done for the game what Diego did for Argentinean futbol. Please Captain America before you pin me arrogant, because I simply have an opinion on the obvious style of play that the U.S. brought to the field of a defensive mindset, check yourself.

Our A team indeed did what it was supposed to do, beat the U.S. whether it be A, B, C or Z the team that was presented to us, we defeated.

No one told the U.S. to bring their F- team, nor did anyone tell Brazil not to bring their best team, etc etc etc. Argentina has done what every other team had the right to do, bring as many stars as they could.

Sorry that superstar Argentinan players are so readily available and um, there aren't any superstar U.S. players out there, not the fault of mine nor the fault of Argentina. Arrogant? maybe. Right? definently.

Oh and not to make this political, but Arrogant and U.S. go hand in hand, try asking all the countries the U.S. of A has shit on for their benefit.

2. Acekiller

Acekiller Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Um, yeah, not to make it political or anything. :confused: :rolleyes:

3. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    look at ole's rating. I can't believe they rated heinze a 5.5. the dude worked his ass off to ensure width for the team and he gets a 5.5, the right side which was inactive and forced the left to make width gets 5+6.5/2 = 5.75
    especially veron. the whole fault was his to not laterally displace and yield room for zanetti to push, and he gets a 6.5 for taking 1 good shot on goal?

Roberto Abbondanzieri (6): Aunque no tuvo mucho trabajo, se mostró seguro en cada intervención y en el juego aéreo.

Javier Zanetti (5): Se proyectó con inteligencia aunque lo buscaron poco. Aportó recuperación.

Roberto Ayala (5,5): Fue voz de liderazgo con complicaciones.

Gabriel Milito (4): Se llevó puesto a Johnson en el penal. Muchas dudas en la marca. El árbitro le perdonó la vida.

Gabriel Heinze (5,5): Centro exacto a la cabeza de Aimar en el gol. No desbordó tanto, pero cuando lo hizo fue aprovechado por la izquierda.

Juan S. Verón (6,5): Metió un zapatazo que rompió el travesaño. Cuando se juntó con Messi se vio su mejor versión.

Javi Mascherano (8): Se adueñó la mitad de la cancha. Ordenado, prolijo y preciso para entregarla.

E. Cambiasso (4): Poco volumen de juego. Le faltó mostrarse más y ayudar a Mascherano en la mitad.

Román Riquelme (7): Participó en los cuatro goles argentinos. Volvió a la Selección su guante en el pie derecho.

Lionel Messi (7): Arrancó jugando algo discontinuo. Levantó mucho su nivel cuando el Coco lo mandó a que se moviera por la banda izquierda.

Hernán Crespo (8,5): Un goleador con todas las letras. De cuatro situaciones que tuvo, dos terminaron en la red.

Pablo Aimar (8): Su ingreso aportó dinámica, velocidad, fútbol y gol.

Carlos Tevez (7): Supo aprovechar el poco tiempo que le dieron. Se juntó con Riquelme y convirtió. Otra pasó cerca.

Fernando Gago: Entró cuando el partido estaba resuelto.

4. Acekiller

Acekiller Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Damn, tough grader. What was his average grade for U.S. players, a 4?

5. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    Olé is an argentine football paper.

i thought US did pretty well in the first half, didn't expect them to dictate tempo of the game, and for a while looked like they did. the vietnamese kid in particular was impressive.

6. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas
    Not sure you had in mind. Nguyen was on the bench the whole game. :confused:

7. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    not mapp, who was the other winger for US yesterday?

8. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    and feilhaber did well too. initiate attacks from rear center midfield, taking shots...

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I don't know what you consider important, but Argentina has shown its class.

They finished at the top of Conmebol in the last three WC eliminatorias. (the last one they tied in points with Brazil). That is where all South American teams play each other home and away, and where everybody brings their A team. Conmebol is tough, it is no fluke to finish on top. I'd say that is something important.

Also Argentina won the Olympic gold medal in soccer. I think that is something important.

Also, Argentina has won a number of youth titles recently. I think that is something important.

Argentina's Boca Juniors has been the most succesful club this century, winning a number of international titles, over the best of the Americas and Europe. I'd say that is something important.

So, we've won enough to prove we are a soccer power.

If by important you mean the WC or Copa America, yeah, it's been a while. 1993 for Copa America, 1986 for the WC. It sucks to go out in the penalty shootout, as we did the last couple of times. But our teams always figure among the favorites. I am sure our time will come again.

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL! I was watching an interview with Diego Maradona, and he compared Johnson to Eusebio. He was talking about how he surprised Argentina with his speed, and he actually said he reminded him of Eusebio.

That is high praise.

11. graywolfe81

graywolfe81 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    North Lake Tahoe, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The funny thing is that I think just about every American viewer in the world had the same wt<expletive>? look on there face when Eddie "I was good four years ago" Gaven trotted onto the field. Few of us could have predicted the scale of the disaster, but the level of shock registered by just about every American soccer fan was vivid and deep, it would be like removing Gatusso and replacing him with Jeff Carroll in a tight game. Olsen is no world beater, but he's tough, and relentless. Eddie Gaven's last quality game for club or country was three summers ago.

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Doesn't Gaven play in the same team with Barros Schelotto? You'd think some good football would rub on him. :D

13. graywolfe81

graywolfe81 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    North Lake Tahoe, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who could hate Riquelme?!?!? 99% of the countries of the world wouldn't even think twice about starting him. Yeah it would be nice if there was more pace to his game, but there is no truly perfect player, and he's one of the few that truly approaches perfection in his better days.

14. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas
    Olsen? He played on the right and had a good game defensively for the US. Our right side became a highway as soon as he was subbed out (and Gaven subbed in).

15. graywolfe81

graywolfe81 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    North Lake Tahoe, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even Schelotto can't forestall the incredible Bermuda Triangle-like reality of CBus. CBus remains the city where promising American Youth Stars Careers go to die (including, but not limited too, Szetella, Buddle, West, Martino (with some Cameroon help), Robbie Rogers (hopefully ressurected starting tomorrow), and of course Gaven).

16. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF

twillman wasn't even doing much, so milito and ayala spend all those efforts just to cover eddie johnson. Those 2 definitely made EJ look good lol. having such hard time against a 2nd rated runner is pure shame! and then they had to go check the dude. instead of just play clean and get take the ball from him. poor class showing from milito and ayala.

17. HINCHADERIVER91

HINCHADERIVER91 New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    LOS ANGELES
    just like mexico.

18. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    ya, a dm that played at the edge. I thought it was the vietnamese kid first, cuz that position looked alot like a defensive winger. clark was partnering up feilhaber from US's left side right? if so then it's gotta be olsen.

the left (US right) opened up not just because the substitution. the argentine right side started overlap to the left, so it was getting overloaded for the US. I think bob bradley dropped your right side back for the same reason, but he went from dominant to submissive by doing that.

19. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    nope. the outside midfielders for mexico are defensively oriented, for argies they are offensive.

20. HINCHADERIVER91

Jun 27, 2007
    LOS ANGELES
    i meant that the mexican play that defensive counter crap against argentina all the time..
    relly boring games.

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Watching the Argentine players being interviewed after the match, one thing they were all talking about was the oppressive heat.

I think when we talk about a boring match, about the US bunquering, about Argentina playing at half speed, we have to take into account the conditions, that affected both teams.

Obviously the same heat and humidity that caused Argentina to play seemingly at half speed for much of the match also caused the US to run out of gas midway through the second half. It affected both teams.

It will be interesting to see how we can play against teams like Colombia and Paraguay, who are more used to the heat and humidity. It will be a challenge.

22. graywolfe81

graywolfe81 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    North Lake Tahoe, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The record says a lot different. I expect Paraguay to win monday, they are likely to be playing a mix of third and fourth stringers and U-23 Olympic Squad kids after all with a squad that represents most of their best, which is very, very good, but let's be honest here. Neutral field, A-side versus A-side, and it's a tight game, w/a coin flip probably as likely as anything to give fair odds on who might win. As things are, in the picking contest I'm going to take Paraguay 2-0, or 3-1 against this US team. I may change my mind once I see the lineup (No Nguyen, and no Davies again means a bigger butt-whipping).

23. HINCHADERIVER91

Jun 27, 2007
    LOS ANGELES
    ayala n milito are great.
    johnson is fast and really reckless somwhat.
    so its hard to keep up with a wild horse.

24. HINCHADERIVER91

Jun 27, 2007
    LOS ANGELES
    idk i hope we get it together to beat colombia so we can sit back n play a calmer game with paraguay.

25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    As they say, nobody is prophet in their own land. Many people question Riquelme in Argentina. No matter what he does, short of winning the world cup in brilliant fashion, if will never be enough for his detractors. A lot of it has to do with club rivalries, and in part with Riquelme's personality and style of play. But many people who should know better don't appreciate his game.