28, sooner or later

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Sport Billy, May 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lasted far longer than a couple of days and it required Garber to mediate... and still fell apart bad enough that the majority owner submitted the bid without the Republic owners...

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Look, I've only begun to recover from the trauma of that stupidity recently, and my denial is extremely important to me in that healing process.

3. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carry on then. Carry on.

4. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Besides, here in Sacramento, we require a certain level of stupidity in our team ownership groups, otherwise it just doesn't feel right.

The RiverCats ownership is, of course, exempted from this rule because they are in West Sacramento.

That bridge does funny things to you.

5. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    First, the NHL took decades until 'the TV contract was the money maker'. Same with the NBA.

Second, the pyramid scheme notion is played out. Do you really think the Pegula paying $1.3 billion more than Ralph Wilson is wrong? He should have paid the same as the original price in 1959? Same thing happens in every North American sport in the franchise league.

Third, one expansion fee is NOT more valuable than the TV contract. There are several individual components to the TV contract and the expansion fee, except for LAFC, is paid over long periods of time in MLS. So when Blank pays $70m it could be $5m a year for 14 years. Divided by 20 MLS clubs that $250k a year.
    As for your contention that the the top of the pyramid (I'm assuming you equate top as being the early MLS Owners) is definitely not making more than the bottom. You should look up the valuations or revenues of all the clubs - you'll see most of the top 10 started after 2006. And LAFC will join that list within 2 years I predict.

CrazyJ628 and The Franchise repped this.
  6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah. If it's a Pyramid scheme, HSG, KSG, and AEG are doing it wrong.

Len and aetraxx7 repped this.
  7. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And then they came together rand reached an agreement.......sorry, nothing to see here but two businessmen that played a bit of hardball negotiating.

No ownership discord either. MLS isn't looking at a fractured ownership group. This is a buyout; Nagle is buying out Warren Smith.

But, clickbait and all.......o_O

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should read up on how pyramid schemes work, then.

Expansion fees are a one-time offset to the rest of the owners for having to split the pie among more entities for the rest of time. And they get reinvested into the business, in most cases.

A pyramid scheme eventually collapses because the incoming investors' payments become incapable of paying the high (but fake) returns to the existing investors. Those returns go on and on, and they're unsustainable.

No one in New England or Chicago or Seattle is going to be looking for more expansion fees from Atlanta or Minnesota or New York going forward, and there will be an eventual end to that. But there also won't be a need for them, because they won't be splitting their eventual shared revenues with any more new partners after they reach whatever their final number of teams is.

The last couple to get in (whoever and whenever they are) aren't going to get that return down the line.

Threeke and aetraxx7 repped this.
  9. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    Meanwhile cincy is over here like :unsure::unsure::unsure:

10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they need to be in the same way Sacramento does. I know MLS will play hardball with the stadium thing but, you find a way to acommodate those numbers of fans. MLS gots to make it happen.

11. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    The stadium won't be an issue. Will go across the river from Paul Brown Stadium where the IRS building is. NKY will contribute with a sales tax on the bar and retail district along the river. The bar district on their side are clamouring for it. (Accountant gossip): friends that work in the IRS building in nky say they're already negotiating price.

The issue will be, "do we want to be in bigger splashier markets." It just feels like 2010 college sports realignment and cincy is gonna be on the outside looking in despite success

12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You should all support the Columbus Crew, right?

(Based on the logic people are using here considering Charlotte and Raleigh to be the same market or an either/or proposition)

aetraxx7 and Cincy Liverpool fan repped this.
  13. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, MLS doesn't need to make it happen. If the owners aren't satisfied with their bids, or if they like the bids from other groups better Cincy and Sacramento won't get in this go round. That's it, period.

Expansion clubs aren't awarded based solely on lower league attendance. Much more important criteria then that.

aetraxx7 and The One X repped this.
  14. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    Idk. Having actual customers seems to be important for successful businesses

QuietType and catfish9 repped this.
  15. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    Hahah. No. Columbus can eat a fat one

16. The One X

The One X Member+

Sep 9, 2014
    Indiana
    Club:
    Indy Eleven
    How many "actual customers" did Atlanta United have before MLS? Or NYCFC?

jaykoz3 and aetraxx7 repped this.
  17. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    Which takes us back to the gamble. Sometimes the gambles hit (nycfc & Atlanta), sometimes they don't (Chivas, Minnesota <although time will tell I guess> and a whole host of belly up franchises in the not so distant past).

The One X repped this.
  18. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Wait. What's wrong with Minnesota?

19. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    From my understanding attendance hasn't been to good, has some worried. I May be a misunderstanding the situation

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I forgot I was outside MLS N&A. Sorry for assuming a certain level of... nevermind

21. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering that they are sitting in the sixth spot and averaging just a couple of thousand less than Orlando, I'd say that your understanding is a little off.
    http://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2017-mls-attendance/
    Minnesota is ahead of both NY teams, the Galaxy, RSL, and Portland, despite playing one fewer game as of the publication of this chart. The only place that Minnesota is failing is on the pitch. Even there, though, they are not exactly the bottom of the barrel.
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/standings/mls/2017

Footsatt repped this.
  22. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a pretty good location. Does the federal gov't own that building/land? Would be easy to tie together with NKY convention center (use same parking). Could do great views of city across the river (a la Pittsburgh). Plenty of bars/hotels on that side of river. But question is do they draw like they have been @ UC? Does that location diminish attendance at all? I know most people are used to going to Reds & Bengals games just across river so wouldn't be different than that, but something seems so organic between fans & Nippert.

23. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without disagreeing you that they are doing just fine (they are), half of their 70k total attendance is from their first game. Since their first game, they've gotten a little over 17k per game, which would put them down by Houston at 15th.

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    If someone thinks 17k attendance for an MLS team is remotely disappointing or cause for concern needs to get their head checked.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  25. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given where the league is at now with average attendance, Minnesota being in the bottom half of the league, and the expectations that have been set for expansion clubs, I can understand why people would be concerned about the club. It's certainly nothing to be really concerned about and could just be a sign that they are just chilling until their new stadium is built, it could also be a troubling sign that the team is taking the cheap route on their team, both on the field and off.. It just seems like they are abusing the "expansion team grace period" a bit too hard. They also have the misfortune of coming in at the same time as Atlanta who are killing it on the field and off, so comparisons are naturally going to be made, even if they shouldn't.