28, sooner or later

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Sport Billy, May 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    There always is. Sometimes it is legitimate concerns over governmental oversight and transparency. Other times it's opportunistic attempts to get a seat at the trough.

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what @soundermiki has said previously, I'm not sure the person that may be filing the lawsuit is interested in a seat at the trough.

AndyMead repped this.
  3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Pencil not pen.

Garble said today that Austin is likely. Though I am almost certain he is trying to push things along with that language. Heck, he won't even say Columbus is done yet despite announcing the home opener yesterday.

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well the Crew will exist in 2019 regardless of the sale's success or failure. I think that's pretty much moot at this point. Worst case scenario I see the league stepping in like it did the last year of Chivas USA. But I also fully expect the Haslam deal to be finalized.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #3730 falvo, Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    What I don't understand is not how Precourt sells the Crew but at what rate does he buy Austin? Will he pay the current expansion fee or will he pay exactly what he got for the Crew?

6. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hopeful we'll hear something come Feb next year.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    He's not "buying" Austin.

He's relocating his franchise rights from Columbus to Austin.

Haslam's group is the one buying the expansion team and given the keys to the current Crew.

That said, PSV will have all the other expenses related to building out an expansion team.

When Saturday Comes repped this.
  8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If it actually happens, that is great for both Columbus and Austin.

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happens in Feb?

10. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing but I believe FSI's exclusivity agreement ends in Jan and I know SDSU has had talks with MLS and they were "positive" according to the AD. Last I heard on the radio was that he would check back in the new year so I am basing my comment on that.

11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    aetraxx7 repped this.
  13. aetraxx7

aetraxx7 Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That left me scratching my head a bit...
    If StL is number 28, then the midwest is pretty much shored up. Hard to see Indy or even Louisville getting in as 29-32 at the at point. Detroit is a different story though...
    Phoenix and/or Vegas seem to be probable in those four slots. I am not convinced that Sac still has a legitimate shot, but they could possibly be California #4. I'd guess two from this group will be in the "final four" (assuming 32 teams like the NFL & NHL is the target).
    Despite Austin being in, my gut tells me that something is up with San Antonio, but I am not convinced that they are going to be a fourth team in Texas. What about a reversal of the Spurs' NBA/G-League situation with the Spurs coming in as part owners of MLS Austin (assuming Precourt could accept that) while running the USL affiliate squad in San Antonio? It is possible that MLS goes with four in Texas, but that seems to hinder possibilities in nearby places like New Orleans and Oklahoma.

14. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3739 SteveUSSF_ref8, Dec 29, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Actually looks like MLS will be expanding to 30 not 32. Therefore, it looks like they are set with:
    #27 Austin
    #28 St. Louis
    #29 Phoenix
    #30 Sacramento
    They will wait for sometime in the future for teams 31 and 32. I would say maybe 8 to 10 years after team 30.

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    at this point, theyll let in whoever is ready to go. That said, thats gonna be a naturally slow and not rushed process it looks like.

16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure that if there's a business case for growing beyond 30 they'll pursue it.

San Diego and Detroit are missing pieces in Garber's puzzle.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  17. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Diego's chance went down with the soccer city vote. As to Detroit they are pissed at them over the bate and switch to Ford Field.

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We thought it was over in STL.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    #3744 AndyMead, Dec 29, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    What the hell are you on about.

MLS is definitely going to 28. They'll probably go beyond that, I was at the State of the League Address in Atlanta, and Garber definitely kept that option open. But that's all he did.

I have heard/seen nothing from the league putting a line a 30/32/36/48 or even 64. I would love to know what makes you actively assert "Actually looks like MLS will be expanding to 30 not 32." - because I certainly have seen nothing whatsoever that indicates one number is more likely than the other, and frankly I don't think the league has a hard stopping number in mind. Market forces will naturally put a brake on expansion.

Your post is 100% speculation, yet your language is definitive. It actually looks like you don't have any actual facts.

C-Rob, aetraxx7 and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  20. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chance isn't dead, just very minimal now.

21. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were and are. But since the Crew staying is condition precedent for what happens with everything else (and MLS did say they were an expansion team), I thought I would just list them again.

Back when I originally said there would be a two team solution (which still is not a done deal yet) I just listed Austin & got a bunch of confused dorks posting THAT was confusing. Now your smart@$$ stuff. Wonderful.

22. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh? Sounds like it is little more than NER’s annual leaks to the press about a Boston stadium that just so happen to coincide with the season ticket drive.

24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that actually makes perfect sense, unfortunately.

25. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte

Just a tweet but seems like Tepper may be doing some negotiating behind the scenes. I think the biggest thing will be what happens with Bank of America stadium, he has talked about major renovations or a replacement in the same location. His hiring of Tom Glick and his commitment to getting the most out of the stadium (which is owned by the Panthers) is very telling. He has the money to jump the line but I am not sure if he has the time to make things happen before we fill out the league.

Edit: https://www.bizjournals.com/charlot...-panthers-owner-on-his-first-year-in-the.html