28, sooner or later

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Sport Billy, May 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The fact that the pace of expansion has been drastically slowing down makes you nervous?

The NASL went from 12 to 24 teams in 2 years. Anyone that showed up with a cashiers check could get an NASL franchise.

There has been nothing remotely comparable with MLS. The last two teams granted have spent over a year having every piece of their business plan examined and vetted.

mike4066 and Dune repped this.
  2. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    MLS is certainly much more careful than NASL, as I noted. But even with careful vetting there's reason to be a little nervous. Example - NASCAR 2007 was the next big thing, with crowds of 100,000+ on a regular basis; NASCAR now has crowds half that size. NASCAR agressively expanded into California and other places outside their base, and then discovered that the new fans weren't committed enough to hang on through the Great Recession. MLS has been more planful in it's expansion, but I'm hoping the new owners aren't expecting that Seattle and Atlanta represent the future level of support for their clubs.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It’s a different time and league. While to this day I still believe the old NASL players (at least when you compare eras) were better, MLS cubs today own, operate and control their own stadiums and are somewhat profitable. What owners aren’t making off the league games, they are making a return from other events held at their grounds. The old league wasn’t anywhere near what today’s MLS is doing. The only threat of a team relocating is Columbus and that is only the second in 23 years of the league. From 1974-1983, I think there were something like 10 club relocations. This doesn’t even include the clubs who came and went. Atlanta back then couldn’t draw 7000 fans and Houston had a 5,900 attendance average. There is simply no comparison.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  4. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Well stated. It's not really about comparing NASL and MLS as much as MLS keeping it's head during the good times. Maybe my worry stems from supporting a club that's about to bet it's future on Wayne Rooney.

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soooooo Sacramento and......... Phoenix?? Maybe Tampa bay? San Antonio becomes palpable when Columbus stays and Austin screws the pooch? Detroit decides....... not An nfl stadium Is the way to go? Charlotte isn’t ready for this party, nor is Indy. Raleigh might be. Vegas always has the “ out of left field” threat.

I know stuff changes but Phoenix is a clear and present danger to Sac next

6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure the biggest threat to Sacramento is Sacramento..

7. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kevin Nagle and the new ownership regime are the biggest threat to Sacramento getting a team.

SourCream&OnionUtd and OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  8. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    So now that Cincy is in, I'm assuming that if Columbus stays put, the Detroit bid is toast.I'm pulling for a "Hell is Real" derby.

9. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Detroit's bid is dead if they still insist on playing at Ford Field.

RaisedEverywhere repped this.
  10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, but it wont stop MLS from using them as a patsy for other teams, see here

Notice the not so subtle namedrop of San Antonio. Once Austin is scuttled, theyre back in the game.

Of the other names mentioned, San Diego is something they wish for and are not gonna get local government backing

Vegas is always a threat because you could literally trip over an impromptu ownership group there. And now with the success of the Golden Knights, their citiy council will be more open to playing ball than they were before i think.

Sacramento is, well, Sacramento now.

No mention of Phoenix at all.

Most importantly, no timelines. I think they learned that lesson. If you are ready, you are ready.

11. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3311 OWN(yewu)ED, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    more post cincy comments

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/soccer/fc-cincinnati/2018/05/29/garber-q/652714002/

"No specific details on the teams or even the timing of the next round. What I will say is we started with 12 and now we’re down to a handful of markets where we still have ongoing discussions. Very productive discussions with Sacramento, as well as in Detroit where we’re working with that ownership group on possible modifications of Ford Field that could, perhaps, make that city more MLS ready than it is today. There’s a lot of engagement going on in San Diego. Recent news out of Las Vegas, who has a thriving USL team and their mayor reached out to us very recently. San Antonio remains on our list and we have great respect for what the NBA ownership team has done there. So there remains a lot of interest in MLS and we’ll continue to get back to work and figure out what the next steps are."

Vegas looks like its back in the game, folks. If the mayor is reaching out, that's good news.

I still don't know of any good news in San Diego whatsoever, but the continuous name-dropping shows how bad MLS wants them to get their act together.

And I think the San Antonio name drop is A) Either a thinly veiled threat at the Austin situation and/or B) Don resigned to the fact that Austin is probably not going to happen and will get to work on his Plan B for texas team number 3.

12. RaisedEverywhere

Mexico
    Aug 9, 2017
    Detroit
    Yep. Not really sure why some keep insisting that we have a shot. No way we revert back to a SSS and ZERO chance we get shot down this round, (like we did) and then get a spot in the next round with the EXACT same bid. It's crazy that a market this size will be the only one without a team in a growing league.

13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I think a lot of people around here are a wee bit to hung up on geographic distribution of teams without really understanding geography, or the fact that - at this point - it's a pretty negligible concern.

jaykoz3 and Cincy Liverpool fan repped this.
  14. Cleat-USA

Cleat-USA Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Re: another one of the 12 applicants, Rowdies owner Bill Edwards put out a congratulatory statement after the Cincinnati and it included a bunch of optimistic language about the clubs future and USLs future. No mention of MLS: their bid, the league...anything. So one could read between the lines there that the Rowdies are pretty content with the status quo. Personally I find nothing wrong with that. They've got a pretty cool setup on the waterfront in St Pete. The player on the team all seem very happy to be there. The fans who are regularly engaged with the club are all very pleased with their product. I think that I a case of a club that is probably better off as they are currently constructed (even if the Miami project ends in failure).

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Club Statement on FC Cincinnati’s MLS Announcement

CARY, N.C. (May 29, 2018) – “The North Carolina Football Club would like to congratulate FC Cincinnati and the entire City of Cincinnati for being awarded a Major League Soccer (MLS) franchise. Today’s announcement by Major League Soccer does not impact North Carolina Football Club’s effort to bring an MLS franchise to the Triangle. While the club was not among the initial two markets to be awarded, MLS has indicated that North Carolina Football Club continues to be in consideration for one of the two remaining expansion spots which will be announced at a later date.

North Carolina FC remains committed to pursuing an MLS franchise and is continuing to work diligently to secure a stadium in downtown Raleigh. Momentum for the project continues to build and we look forward to continued dialogue with the community and with MLS as we demonstrate why the Triangle should be home to a franchise.”

16. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    #3316 Cincy Liverpool fan, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
    pretty fun time last night, 5-10 k showed up on fountain square and the invite only event at rhinegeist. the videos mls made for the invite were pretty sick. got chills when david villa (one of my all time favorite players going back to his Valencia days) welcomed us to MLS on the video. team will play in nippert for the first couple of seasons and it seems as if MLS was actually okay with nippert if the west end stadium had fallen through.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hmm, and I apparently missed this a couple of weeks ago:
    http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article210847274.html

There's been no buzz in the area about the downtown stadium. I certainly don't see anything developing by the end of the year, but I don't know what's going on behind the scenes. Honestly, I think NCFC is similar to Sacramento, but further behind. Sac is larger and has the stadium ready to be built, but both are looking for more investment. I think Malik being a pro representative on the USSF board does help, but I think his assessment about the stadium is correct. If NCFC can get a stadium deal done, they'll get in (the inference being that the other concerns will take care of themselves). I agree with that based on what I know of the other concerns and the area and some of the players who are not publicly connected with the team. However, I don't have any real confidence that a stadium deal is going to get done in downtown Raleigh.

18. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [QUOTE="OWN(yewu)

I still don't know of any good news in San Diego whatsoever, but the continuous name-dropping shows how bad MLS wants them to get their act together.

[/QUOTE]

San Diego is still alive and kicking. Soccer City's plan is on the ballot in November and they have an official kick off party for the new campaign on June 6th. So I expect to see a new round of Footie Mcfootface with Landon Donovan ads on social media and local TV.

19. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    awwww man, id love to see both Cali teams get in just to drink up the oceans of haterade that would be flowing if it happened. how good do you guys feel about the vote?

20. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    36 team league, split into east/west.

West:
    (13)Current: LA Galaxy, Los Angeles FC, Seattle Sounders, Portland Timbers, Vancouver Whitecaps, San Jose Earthquakes, Colorado Rapids, Real Salt Lake, FC Dallas, Houston Dynamo, Sporting Kansas City, Minnesota United, Chicago Fire

Expansion:
    14. Sacramento Republic
    15. Phoenix
    16. San Antonio/Austin
    17. Saint Louis
    18. Las Vegas
    Contenders: Tulsa, Omaha, loser of San Antonio/Austin, Albuquerque, San Diego, Oakland/San Francisco, Oklahoma City, New Orleans, Milwaukee

East:
    (13)Current: Atlanta United, Orlando City, Columbus Crew, New England Revolution, Toronto FC, New York City FC, New York Red Bulls, Montreal Impact, Philadelphia Union, DC United, FC Cincinnati, Nashville, Miami

Expansion:
    14. Detroit
    15. Charlotte/Raleigh
    16. Indianapolis
    17. Tampa Bay
    18. Birmingham* (may pick a Western contender and push Chicago Fire back to East)
    Contenders: Pittsburgh, Rochester, Baltimore, Hartford, Jacksonville, loser of Charlotte/Raleigh, Buffalo, Cleveland, Virginia Beach

21. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mixed, when the plan was first floated it polled pretty well, had a majority of the city council, and the mayor in support. Since then though some powerful opponents including rival developers, some unions, and San Diego State have all lined up against the plan. State has a rival plan on the ballot as well that would include a smallish stadium (possibly able to host a MLS team) although it is not nearly as fleshed out as the Soccer City.

If the election were today I would say SoccerCity loses to SDSU but the SoccerCity group has been much better organized since the start so maybe they can turn some people by November. To make a long response short I have no **** clue.

22. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    Interesting theory. Add sac city in the west to go with nashville and Miami entrances in 2020 and you have a perfect 3 conference league? But how would playoffs work? https://reddit.app.link/PBmL4UEonN

23. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The thread started in N&A, rightfully got moved to Expansion. The way the posting is going, I'm not sure it shouldn't move again to "You Be The Don".

25. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings