28, sooner or later

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Sport Billy, May 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    complete silence in Sacramento...........theyve scuttled this. I will accept any billionaire at this point. I dont care if its Donald Trump, Kim Jong Un, Vladimir Putin, or Osama Bin Laden Jr. We need a hail mary from somewhere or this thing is toast.

2. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    You don’t mean this. I promise you, having a pro team with a terrible owner who refuses to sell or improve anything is worse. An owner who won’t fire a coach because he was afraid “a new coach would make him change the way he does things.” - Mike Brown, Bengals

He was also the reason a soccer team never took off before Fc Cincy, part of his stadium deal signed in 1995 said if any 1st division pro soccer franchise were to come to cincy, he would be the owner. Paul brown stadium was even designed to House a soccer team originally. The soccer franchise deal part expired and then Fc Cincy was formed

mike4066 repped this.
  3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Cincy now a for real done deal, even more so than Miami/Nashville, I wonder what the hold up on announcement is if one is not forthcoming soon?

Is there a promise to give Sacramento a certain amount of time to compete?

Some speculation on the Crew board is that it *COULD* have something to do with compensation for exclusivity/franchise rights. I know Citeh had to pay NYRB for infringing on their territory.

Assuming FCC would have to do something similar with the Crew. Unless they are already in Austin, or will be by the time FCC starts in MLS. Waiting could save FCC some cash.

However, if that liability is incurred upon the announcement, then they have to pay up now. Giving Precourt a wad of cash could help ease him out. Or more determined NOT to sell if he knows it is coming his way.

It could also help grease things with the $$$ needed to get McKalla up to snuff. Or for a stadium project in Columbus under new owners.

Lot of possibilities. Anyone more plugged in to FCC know if there has been talk of Crew compensation?

4. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    Rumors flying around town about Tuesday of next week

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    would be awesome......... hoping for the best. would be disappointed to see yet another team pass Sacramento, but cant be mad at Cincy for it. They did it fair and square while Nagle dropped the ball on the one yard line (or threw an interception on the one yard line with Marshawn Lynch as the runningback who is getting 3-4 yards per carry, however you will)

Cincy Liverpool fan repped this.
  6. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Nagle has been in discussions with 3-5 serious investors. I mean sure, he's been saying that for months now with no substantial updates or progress given to the public, but... discussions!

:mad::cry:

7. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool. Congrats, you guys deserve to be in. Hopefully we have a long & heated intra-state rivalry.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Or maybe they're buying the Crew from PSV!

9. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could buy it, but they can't move it to Cincinnati. The Modell Law requires the team to stay in the jurisdiction that gave them the public assistance unless they are given permission to leave. Since the City of Columbus is the one that has given the Crew assistance and given Columbus fighting the relocation, it is not likely they would give the Crew permission to move to Cincinnati.

10. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I told y’all and I told y’all. Who called Nashville? Me. Who called Cincinnati? Me. Sacramento is never getting in. I’ve told y’all. It’s true. You can’t have all the teams in California, Texas, and Florida.

11. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does that mean we need to ship more of our 40 million people to other states so we can't have all the population in California too? Maybe we ship some of our 5th largest economy in the world and tax money to other states too?(Oh wait, we already do)

mike4066 and owian repped this.
  12. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Do you want a cookie?

SourCream&OnionUtd and jaykoz3 repped this.
  13. Bisquick_in_da_MGM

Jul 26, 2013
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Yes. Oatmeal raisin.

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  14. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'll see what I can do.

15. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    Land mass wise, you are 4 times the size of 11 million ppl Ohio... in fact, Ohio (at 285) have more people per square mile than California’ 254. GDP, your 2.4 trillion is exactly 4 times the size of Ohio’s (which ranks 21st globally) which is in line with having over 4 times the land mass and 4 times the population. In reality California should be split into several states

16. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You obviously don't understand the origin of states. What you're thinking of is something like the House of Representatives.

QuietType repped this.
  17. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn’t realize we were awarding MLS teams based on population density. Good news for New Jersey!

You missed my point.

18. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    Your point was you’re California so everyone should suck you off, got it.

19. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    No, it should be split into three states imo. I believe there is a petition that floats around in California every few years to do it. The secession talks from California and Texas are comical, It’s not 1840

20. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If done correctly, dividing California into three states could give the Democrats four additional U.S. Senate seats.

21. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just strolling in to nip this little discussion in the bud.

mike4066, Len, USSoccerNova and 2 others repped this.
  22. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point was I'm tired of people saying California has "too many teams" ignoring the fact that we have more people living in our state than live in Canada. Even if California had 4 teams that's One team per 10 million people. That would still be underserved compared to lots of other states/markets in MLS. Either people are ignorant of this fact or are willfully negative about it.

You can tell I'm tired of this stupid talking point.

mike4066, Justin O and AndyMead repped this.
  23. RedRover

RedRover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 15, 2007
    Give it one with rat droppings in lieu of raisins.

24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Just a couple of random expansion related thoughts....
    As an old timer going back to the NASL era, the current pace of expansion and selection of cities makes me little nervous. It's hard to get over the bias that Nashville and Cincy aren't soccer towns. Of couse I felt that way about Atlanta too... That said, Garber and MLS have been very careful in vetting expansion bids. Accepted cities have had to have strong ownership and viable stadium plans.

The old mantra that making the playoffs in MLS is no big deal is no longer valid. Well over half the teams are seriously committed to winning, and within the next few years the numbers of clubs running on a shoestring will be reduced to a handful. MLS doesn't have pro-rel, but the pressure to make the playoffs will be intense, and the clubs that don't make them on a semi-regular basis risk virtual relegation as their attendance, and associated revenue streams, erode.

Congrats Nashville and Cincy and best wishes to all the other candidates.

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.