28, sooner or later

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Sport Billy, May 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    986680790275842051 is not a valid tweet id
    Speaking of Miami....

2. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    If that is true, so be it but, that is not the only site reporting shady dealing in Cincy and potential punishment for at least one involved.

3. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    really dont like how MLS is doing cincinnati right now........ Its not like that stadium was easy business. Wish i knew why they havent pulled the trigger yet. If its purely Columbus related that is absolutely disgusting.

4. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    As much as people offer this as a suggestion, it's hard to see how Columbus is an issue for Cincinnati. The Crew's situation should be resolved one way or another this year. Austin will come together or fall apart this fall. The group working to buy them will close the purchase or move on by then. The clock is ticking on the lawsuit, and the 6 months time frame will be finished.

5. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    It’s looking more and more like that is the case.

6. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What exactly is MLS doing to Cincinnati? MLS will make their decision, and announcement when they are ready to, plain and simple.

They are deciding who to add as an investor. This is basically like deciding who you want to marry, not who you want to take to Prom.

7. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    MLS and FC Cincinnati have been dating for about three years now. It's time to put a ring on it.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  8. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. The lawsuit shouldn't be the determining factor. For what it's worth, in regards to the lawsuit itself, it's hard to see how Columbus can get what it wants out of this because MLS' Right to Travel (Privileges & Immunites Clause) and Commerce Clause seem to be pretty strong. Substitute McDonalds or Best Buy for MLS and think about it - will an Ohio court be willing to jump in and require a nationwide business to maintain business locations in certain states? I think that the most Columus probably can get out of this is the rights to use the team name, the team uniforms, ball & other gear. But, I don't think that an Ohio court will require MLS to operate a team in Columbus if it doesn't want to do so.

9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 year rule is science, thats what officially scares me about sacramento now.

10. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the thing....MLS hasn't been dating FCC or Sacramento for that matter. Sacramento and FCC have been courting MLS. MLS hasn't been courting them, they've been playing the field.

11. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    MLS is polygamous.

12. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Sorry, but if Columbus stays put, I can't see FCC getting a franchise as it would be too close for the population density. I'm starting to think that MLS is of the same mind about Sacramento. There are 3 spots left. If MLS wants to maximize their geographic exposure and TV revenue with no teams moving, what would be the best expansion bids, regardless of how far along the process each bid is? I think Phoenix is going to get in - MLS is just waiting for them to get their act together. That leaves two spots for either Sacramento, San Antonio, Cincinnati, Detroit, and Raleigh/Charlotte.

Now, if Columbus moves to Austin, Cincinnati is in, San Antonio is out and that leaves one spot remaining for the rest of the bids.

13. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. Columbus & Cincinnati would have a terrific home & away rivalry along the lines of the Cascadia rivialry involving Portland, Seattle and Vancouver. Adding Detroit to the mix down the road would create a full-blown Midwestern rivalry involving the Chicago Fire, Minnesota United FC, the Columbus Crew, FC Cincinnati and Detroit.

But, I think it;s almost certain that MLS owners/investors will let Precourt move the Crew SC to Austin -- if Austin's government is at all hospitable -- because most of them probably feel that Columbus is not really a major league city. Austin, on the other hand, seems to be a hipster/high tech wonderland along the lines of San Jose, Portland or Seattle.

14. RaisedEverywhere

Mexico
    Aug 9, 2017
    Detroit
    I've always thought the exact same thing. Mind boggling to think MLS would have 2 teams in Ohio. Makes zero sense. Even with the awesome support FCC receives, the population of the state doesn't warrant having 2 teams. NY/NJ has 2 teams but that is the epicenter of population in the US. I don't like it, but it makes sense. If FCC gets in, that means MLS is for sure moving Columbus out.

Full transparency here, I want Detroit to get in even though after the switch to Ford Field we never will. So my bias may be typing here, but I just don't understand how Ohio could have 2 teams.

15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Population of Ohio (2016): 11,614,373.

Ya sure?

16. RaisedEverywhere

Mexico
    Aug 9, 2017
    Detroit
    Population of Michigan 9.9 million. Ya, I'm pretty sure.
    You're.....you're not really trying to compare the population of Ohio to NY/NJ (which was used as my example for having 2 teams) are ya?

17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Well, you used population as an argument that it just cannot be, so...I'm asking.

The existence or non-existence of a team in some other location has no bearing on whether or not a completely different place can or cannot support two teams. And, of course, we all know that the Crew have traditionally drawn from your area, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, and Northern Kentucky, not to mention Pittsburgh, so pure renderings of state populations are not even a particularly interesting argument one way or the other.

SourCream&OnionUtd repped this.
  18. RaisedEverywhere

Mexico
    Aug 9, 2017
    Detroit
    I agree wholeheartedly with you on this point. My main point (subjective/biased as it may be) is that it makes no sense to have 2 teams in one state that is not named California, New York(NJ), or even Florida.

19. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Neat.

20. RaisedEverywhere

Mexico
    Aug 9, 2017
    Detroit
    Thanks brah, I think so too.

21. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Lived in Cincinnati area for nearly 30 years before moving to Salt Lake. Since ‘96 I never once saw a Crew ad on TV, heard one on radio or saw a billboard in the Cincy area. I’m all for the Crew staying but they’ve never “drawn” from Cincy or points south. That’s part of their problem

22. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Strange, because I kept meeting people from Cincinnati from 1999-2012 or so. Being from Akron, I never saw any ads either, yet I see all sorts of people with gear from here to Cleveland. It's almost as if people find out anyway!

23. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Guys!!! Someone tell the NFL, NBA and MLB that they need to move a hell of a lot of teams!!

24. RaisedEverywhere

Mexico
    Aug 9, 2017
    Detroit
    Bad comparison....but I'm pretty sure you know that.

25. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell that to the NFL and MLB.

Todorojo and aetraxx7 repped this.