28, sooner or later

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Sport Billy, May 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    So, basically, if Nagle showed up with a big enough check Sacramento would be in. And, before Nagle showed up, Sacramento couldn't write a big enough check.

2. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hes rubbing me off as another precourt type.............which scares me because birds of a feather and all.. I know in the deepest, darkest fathoms of conspiracy in MLS that Columbus to Sacramento is an option for some. I couldnt palate that though, that would be unacceptable. Id want MLS...........but not like that. That is benieth the dignity of sacramento supporters.

3. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, no. Even with Nagle they can't write the check. Their bid needs a Billionaire or more in order to help fund the team for at least the first five seasons in MLS.

Additional they need more investors to help pay for the Stadium, the training facility, building out their academy, expanding their operations and technical staffs, etc. It was reported that the cost of their stadium has risen to more then $250M now, in addition to the $150M expansion fee.
    This article has been posted before: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/city-beat/article200400399.html

4. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    It's hard to gauge with Koch because at USL level we are among the top spenders while in MLS we will likely be average spenders. I think he is great in a one off like the cup run showed, but jury still out over a season.

BlueCrimson repped this.
  5. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    *whispers so the fan boys don't hear me* Koch is not a good manager. even in the open cup the loss was on him. he had the team turtle with 20 minutes left and we played the entire overtime and final 20 minutes of regulation without a striker on the field. The FO went out and spent a fortune (by usl standards) on the team this year and....they can't freaking score. Harkes got boned. he should still be the coach. just my two cents

6. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    In the open cup loss, it was obvious BWP was NYRBs target and he would run to the top of the penalty arc when FCC lost the ball. FCC just needed to mark that area and clear the ball when they played it in.

The plan was to park the bus and try to steal a goal. Stealing one goal was quite an accomplishment, getting 2 was a miracle. I agree with Koch's plan, but not the execution. This plan was really their only way to win. They should have been able to absorb pressure and ride out the game.

No one complained about Mourinho using that tactic to win the league at Chelsea.

7. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    I complain about mourinho's bus parking all the time. I hate mourinho

artml repped this.
  8. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    The issue has been lack of consistent players and line up. I really want us to pick a formation and style and struggle a bit as players come to grips with our identity. I have no idea why Albadawi took 4 matches to finally play, but it was evident that he has skills and also hasn't played much with other FCC players.

It does bother me when I see all the offensive signings and we put out a 4-5-1 with two holding midfielders. We should be bold enough to go for goals than play for a 1 goal win or a draw.

Comparing Harkes to Koch is hard because it deals so much in hypotheticals. "Harkes would have won with these resources" or "Koch has a USL that is much tougher now than 2016". To me it comes down to results and if we bomb out for third straight year in the first round of the playoffs I think Koch should be held accountable. He may not be because my sense is he is well liked, but Berding has made it clear with the money spent 2018 is title or bust attitude.

9. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    I liked our style of play under harkes, I liked his personality, I liked that he moved to the city with his family and that he actually immersed himself in the city. I met him at UC basketball game after his first season, little did I know berding was going to axe him for no good *stated* reason a few weeks later after an incredibly successful 1st season.

10. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
  12. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3213 OWN(yewu)ED, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    clickbait article is clickbait

it would be .1 percent of a chance a no because it was tied to the crew, and if it was it would be a height of stupidity never replicated before in American sports save for maaaaybe moving the Winnipeg jets to Phoenix (and even then thats still a big maybe........and it includes canada)

13. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    I guess it does make sense to see if this sticks and allow other moving parts (Columbus & the other 2 bids) come to a stop first.

14. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    I said at the time if performance was the issue then whoever succeeded Harkes would be immediately under pressure. My only guess is Harkes and Berding bumped heads possibly on control aspects within the club. Koch's job was saved by the USOC run based on the expectations set forth. Those games were huge for exposure, revenue, and positive press.

I may never understand, but right now focus on what we can do to win this season. On paper we were told have the most talent in USL. If that translates into a 5th or worse finish and early playoff (1st or 2nd round) exit questions have to be raised about our competence. There's always excuses for losing, but Louisville has been the class of the league for three years with less resources and they don't talk about expansion challenges or increased competition. They just win, and we need to do that with all the advantages we have.

15. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    nothing like a general manager whose soccer experience is limited to watching weekend morning premier league and hanging out at kings soccer telling a us national team legend who just took your randomly thrown together soccer team to a home playoff game in year 1 how he should coach....

16. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would also help if they stopped signing former Philadelphia Union Players too............

Cincy Liverpool fan repped this.
  17. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    LOL

18. Ollie L

Ollie L New Member

Sac Republic
    United States
    Dec 19, 2017
    Could it be that MLS is currently vetting potential investors? If so, you would think the investors are pretty serious to submit to the vetting process? The glass is 1/4 full.

19. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    3/4 empty

20. CharlottetownFC

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    Charlotte
    https://www.thenation.com/article/cincinnatis-soccer-stadium-scam/

Am I the only one that feels like the MLS is either being real smart in their decision making or being very manipulative in their demands for expansion. Nashville did what other cities were told they had to while NYC, Atlanta, Minny & Orlando all got in with deals that either weren't finalized yet (save ATL who got a Seattle type pads). Was it because those groups had NFL/MLB money that they got in with looming concerns while FC Cincy just HAD to build a relatively unnecessary stadium?

21. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. NYC has more money then god, literally. Same for Arthur Blank in ATL. MLS made Minny and Orlando jump through hoops though.

At this juncture, MLS doesn't HAVE to expand. They'd like to, but it's not necessary. So they aren't going to expand unless certain criteria is met in order to insure long term success. Yes, Cincy needs a stadium. More specifically a stadium where they control the revenue streams. Just like NYC, ATL, ORL, and eventually Minny have.

If you haven't noticed, they made LAFC build a stadium. MLS is also not letting Miami Beckham in without a stadium either.

22. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    FC Cincinnati had this at Nippert. The university was bending over backwards to make it work. Lindner gave up a position on the university board if trustees to eliminate possible conflicts of interest.

Heck, the Lindner's donations to various university funds probably rival debt service on the stadium.

23. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    The nation isn’t a credible source, might as well quote “field of schemes”