28, sooner or later

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Sport Billy, May 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
  2. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    http://gobearcats.com/news/2018/1/2...pert-stadium-scoreboard-project-underway.aspx

I still think that Lindner's preference is Nippert. Why put in a new TV and stereo if its not your livingroom.

MLS doesn't like Nippert because they know that Lindner will have the pre-game receptions in the new Lindner college of business building just outside the stadium. They think its ostentatious.

3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Link?

4. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    http://business.uc.edu/news/departments/college-relations/2016/aug/new-building.html

That's the view of the building from the entrance to Nippert just outside the Bailey. MLS's attitude is speculation. (its amazing how many times the article uses the Lindner name).

One other thing about the West End site... Here is an article about the property that FC Cincinnati supposedly have options to buy: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ne...-board-lets-talk-west-end-stadium/1056386001/

Here is the location of the Citirama just announced by the city:
    https://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/community-development/news/citirama-coming-to-the-west-end/

Looks like the same property.

5. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    The school raised money for that stuff, they do have a football team lol

6. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    They are next to each other, important to note that the property options Fc cincy bought are adjacent to the highschool football field. Cincy Public Schools (CPS) will ultimately decide this for Fc cincy

7. Traumer

Traumer Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Cincinnati
    And I'll wear them with pride. It doesn't bother me. I don't see it being any different from "Reds" or "Bearcats". In time what ever we are called will be so ingrained we'll fight like hell if they try to change it. Names, colors, branding, it all gets mixed into the memories we have watching the club, and that's where the wmotional attachment comes, those memories.

8. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wouldnt be a smart move unless their little birdies in Sacramento know they are up **** creek without a paddle. They must know they can buy time for something better. They know they can spare the extra time I think. Lots of cause and effect going on here, when one team has news come out, it kind of says something about the other(s).

9. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    I am wrong, part of the options are on the "CiTiRAMA" site. Possibly relocating ppl?

10. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    #2985 Cincy Liverpool fan, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You missed my question. You supposition started:

I'm asking for a link to anything real that backs that up.

12. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    I addressed that. I said it was speculation.

The article says that they raised the money from Lindner. Maybe its in-kind rent.

From my take, none of the properties that they have options on are adjacent to the CPS site and of themselves are not large enough for a stadium. That's not to say that the graphic showing the properties is accurate, but it is confusing at this point.

So, the Cincy stadium situation is summarized as:

1. Newport - Don't call us, we'll call you.
    2. Oakley - It's still in the back of our mind.
    3. West End - We bought options, but they aren't near where we want to be.
    4. Nippert - Let;'s buy them a new stereo.

Seems clear as mud.

mike4066 repped this.
  13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Based on nothing. Or baseless speculation. Got it.

14. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    I'll add, Lindner's initially wanted Nippert, but conceded that they may have to build a stadium to satisfy MLS. They've made investments there to improve that stadium, widening the field, adding the video board, and sound system. They have an option to lease Nippert for FC Cincinnati for 30 years.The Lindner family has been very generous to UC. None of this is speculation. I'll leave it an exercise for the reader to do the google search.

For some reason, FCC are pursuing other options. Speculation is that MLS does not like Nippert. Surely, its financial (speculation) as most other stadiums, most game day revenue goes to the primary tenant. Paul Brown Stadium is out for just that reason. We know NFL stadiums are used where the NFL owner is also the MLS owner. Heck,Yankee stadium works because the Yankees co-own NYCFC.

The costs of building a stadium is estimated at $200 million. Amortize that over 20 years, and divide it by the number of tickets you plan to sell. Its over $20 per seat for a 25k seater with 20 events per year. Given the history and relationship between the Lindners and UC, it seems that they could strike a mutually beneficial deal between them.

So, I'm not convinced this isn't FCC jumping through a few hoops to satisfy MLS that Nippert isn't the best option.

15. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    I mean, when your family gives 100 million to the school they make sure to thank you ever chance they get but they did fundraise for the improvements.

16. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for Miami. I always like to see cities that lost a team get one back.

MLS needs some forward momentum. The Crew/Austin debacle & the 2nd expansion bid still unresolved are both black eyes for the league.

They want to roll out the positives as we head into the season: LAFC, Nashville, Miami. Plus new stadia in LA, DC, and Minny.

19. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is my view that 32 is what they are aiming for.

1) In line with other major NA sports leagues: NFL (32), NBA (30), MLB (30), and NHL (31).

2) Easy scheduling. 2 conf =
    A) 34 games: 28 once + 3 twice
    B) 36 games: 28 once + 4 twice
    C) 38 games: 28 once + 5 twice
    Or, four 8 team divisions =
    D) 38 games: 24 once + 7 twice

3) If we assume Miami is Monday + Cincy, Detroit, and Sac all get in, there are still some pretty good markets out there who have expressed interest: Phoenix, San Diego, Tampa, St. Louis, San Antonio, Charlotte/Raleigh, Indy + some who have not: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Milwaukee, NO, Vegas, Austin, Memphis.

Point being, more than enough for a legit, stable, 2nd division.

owian repped this.
  20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's also possible that teams go a year without playing each other.

TrueCrew repped this.
  21. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    32 game schedule
    We could have a 33 team league (32 game schedule) and have every team play each other once.

or

38 game schedule
    Go to a 4 divisions, play each team in your division twice = 14 games and every other team once = 24 games for a total of 38 games.

22. Cincy Liverpool fan

Fc Cincinnati
    Jun 16, 2015
    Cincinnati, USA
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    Garber claims the 2nd expansion team will be announced before the first game of the season (March 3rd)

23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    man Im 0 for 2 now on predictions. If Im Columbus im officially scared of the Crew moving to Austin now. or cincinnati and sacramento ever getting a team.