28, sooner or later

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Sport Billy, May 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Regionalliga Nord, Regionalliga Nordost, Regionalliga West and Regionalliga Südwest! :thumbsup:

3. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    25) Sacramento
    26) St. Louis
    27) Detroit
    28) Celebrity Death Match between Las Vegas, San Antonio, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis. Which will end when Anchorage runs in and knocks everyone else out with a steel chair.

QuietType, soccersubjectively and owian repped this.
  4. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to recap the other 2 threads, this is were I think the expansion sits currently, correct me if I am wrong...

#21 Atlanta 2017
    #22 LA 2018
    #23 Minnesotta
    #24 - #26 Detroit, Miami & Sacramento
    #27 & #28 St. Louis & San Antonio

Miami - if they cant get there shit together then Detroit or Sacramento has a good chance to be number 24
    Detroit - has a good chance to be number 24, 25 or 26 (they need to figure out the land deal for the stadium)
    Sacramento - could be 24, 25 or 26
    St. Loius - Garber said they wont join until after 2020 (maybe they could be number 25, but Ithink Detroit and Sac have a better chance)
    San Antonio - Garber said "expansion is premature" and "they are not as far along as other groups"

EPJr repped this.
  5. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    #5 Initial B, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
    I'm pretty sure that any divisional setup will be North-South within time zones to provide the greatest flexibility in scheduling the season so teams play in favourable climatic conditions: They'll play in the southern cities during Feb, Mar, Oct and the northern cities in July and August. They will also probably want to keep Rivalry Cup teams in the same divisions, cause, you know, gotta build them traditions.

Based on the changing news over the last few months, my new estimate of the 2022 Conference layout (and likely cities) is, from North to South:

EASTERN CONFERENCE:
    Atlantic Division:
    New England Revolution
    New York Red Bulls
    Philadelphia Union
    DC United
    Atlanta United
    Orlando City FC
    Miami Beckhams (or Charlotte)

Central Division:

Montreal Impact
    Toronto FC
    New York City FC
    Detroit
    Chicago Fire
    Columbus Crew
    St Louis

WESTERN CONFERENCE:
    MidWest Division:
    Minnesota United
    Colorado Rapids
    Real Salt Lake
    Sporting KC
    FC Dallas
    Houston Dynamo
    San Antonio

Pacific Division:

Vancouver Whitecaps
    Seattle Sounders
    Philadelphia Union
    Sacremento
    San Jose Earthquakes
    LA Galaxy
    LA FC

Now, if Miami falls through and the Beckhams end up in Las Vegas, then LV would take MinnU's spot in the MidWest, MinnU would move to the Central, and NYCFC would move to the Atlantic. A Carolinas team, in a desirable geographic location but with no sugar daddy in sight, would end up on the outside looking in. They would have to wait until the 29-32 slots start getting filled.

I would imagine Las Vegas and Charlotte would get the 29-30 spots, and the 31-32 spots would go to the East and West Conference Div II (whatever that ends up being, probably a mashup of USL and NASL) clubs that finished top of their respective tables the previous year and rotate on an annual basis. But that wouldn't happen for at least another decade...

6. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Sucks for Philly.

scott47a and UCFWayne repped this.
  7. hallam

hallam Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being in two division gets us double the ability to win......I am pretty sure that is how it works

8. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Revolt repped this.
  9. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    St. Louis has about as much chance as San Diego and Cincinnati at this point.

10. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because?

(Seriously, how come?)

11. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm saying this because I haven't heard much about their case but folks keep putting them in the last 2 teams in.

At least Cincy has the whole grass roots thing going and San Diego does have a potential MLS owner if we can get a stadium.

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't Cincinnati also have billionaire owners? And doesn't St Louis keep being mentioned by Garber as a front runner?

Hardly the same.

13. Initial B

Initial B Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Club:
    Ottawa Fury
    Gah, that should have read Portland Timbers in the Pacific Division. Cut and Paste error... :oops:

But as much as Garber likes St Louis, based on attendance, Cincinnati is making a case to take one of the -25-28 spots...

14. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cincinnati has gotta have San Antonio looking over their shoulders at 28. If that owner caves and funds a SSS, theyre getting in. But......he seems pretty stubbornly against it right now. That works in San Antonio's favor. I still like the later at 28.

UCFWayne repped this.
  15. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my whole point. St. Louis isn't ahead on Cincy or SD at this point IMO and they are actually behind IMO as well. But for some reason the keep getting mentioned ahead of the other two.

16. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Detroit was a lecture in that though. I know everyone in this thread was like? Detroit?? There is absolutely nothing going on there, why do we keep bringing up Detroit hoping something will happen there?

Well.........someone knew something. I suspect someone knows something in St Louis too for it to keep being brought up.

17. fighting muskie

Mar 30, 2016
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It seems like the expansion candidates fall into two groups: cities that are desirable to MLS brass that have no viable ownership group in place, and cities with viable ownership groups and fan bases but are lacking in something that that makes it a deal breaker for MLS brass.

Places like Charlotte, San Diego, and St Louis are attractive markets but have no one there pushing for MLS.

MLS is not a fan of either the market or stadiums or both in Cincinnati, Indianapolis, San Antonio, and Sacramento.

18. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Diego does have an ownership group but no stadium...yet. Lots depends on if the SDSU expansion gets approved AND we figure out what is happening with the Chargers.

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charlotte - desirable market for MLS and is being championed as a MLS expansion club by current USL owners, who stated their desire for MLS when they started the USL club last year.
    San Diego- again, desirable market by MLS and stadium project championed by SDSU and reportedly former Padres owner is interested in owning the MLS team
    St. Louis - MLS wants it, gov't and local business leaders interested in using MLS to fill the gap created by the Rams. USL team and local super youth club St Louis FC involved, possibly others with former NFL and Busch connections.

mike4066 repped this.
  20. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can have all the grassroots support and big attendance numbers you want. You have to be a market Garber/MLS want. Thats why Detroit just swooped in out of nowhere and why St Louis is getting a bunch of attention. Big, strategic markets.

21. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, that. But, Sacramento, Cincinnati and San Antonio have team and ambitious owners. That gives them an edge to be one of the 24 to 28 teams. Detroit seems to be further along than St. Louis but MLS wants them both. My guess is that the four 24 to 28 expansion candidates will come out of this group. My guess for teams 25 & 26 would be Sacramento & Detroit right now with Cincinnati, St. Louis & San Antonio competing for slots nos. 27 & 28.

22. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

23 teams... Not 24

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chungachanga repped this.
  23. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously, that's a not so subtle public hint to the Miami-Dade County Government - as if anyone in local government cares.

24. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also a reminder to certain places that Minnesota is not going anywhere. :)

25. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cincinnati puts Miami on the outs for the next batch. 5 slots remaining (24-28): Sacramento, St Louis, Detroit, San Antonio, Cincinnati. Maybe Miami will get back into the hunt if they go to 32.