23 Tickets to Brazil

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by flem16, May 18, 2011.

1. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    Midfield is the strength of our program right now and we should move forward with a 5-man midfield in mind.

Here's my preliminary 30-man roster.

Goalkeeper
    1. Tim Howard - Self-explanatory.
    2. Brad Guzan - The only thing holding him back is Tim Howard.
    3. Dominic Cervi - #3 GK is a crapshoot and the least important spot on the team. Cervi, being younger would seem to have more long-term upside than Yelldell or Rimando.

Fullbacks
    4. Eric Lichaj (LB) - Barring injury, he seems to have punched his ticket for Brazil and Russia.
    5. Tim Chandler (RB)
    6. Steve Cherundolo (RB) - Has a chance if he can stay healthy. With Lichaj on the left, there is less pressure on him to play end-to-end on the right.
    7. Jonathan Bornstein (LB) - The national hero of Honduras is still young enough to have an impact... and Bob loves the guy. He puts nation before club.
    8. Sean Franklin (RB) - Not as good as Chandler, but is very athletic and can play a similar style in joining the attack upfield. Needs to face a higher level of competition to develop his defensive game.

Center backs
    9. Clarence Goodson - With Bocanegra aging and Onyewu's body breaking down, Goodson will have to provide leadership and experience on the back line.
    10. Omar Gonzalez - Has the physical tools to succed but needs to move out of MLS.
    11. Tim Ream - Looked horribly raw in the Gold Cup. Needs a lot of work and has to leave New York to get it.
    12. Gale Agbossoumonde - Very young; pure potential.

Midfielders
    13. Stuart Holden - Our most creative offensive player and best option on set pieces.
    14. Landon Donovan - Self-explanatory.
    15. Clint Dempsey - Versatility and passion will keep him in the mix as he ages.
    16. Michael Bradley - As long as Bob is coaching, Mike is automatic.
    17. Jermaine Jones - Bit of a late bloomer, but he has been our best player this Gold Cup. If healthy, he is a vital part of defensive gameplans.
    18. Maurice Edu - Nobody else in the midfield pool can provide a change of pace and spark off the bench like Mo. Would like to see him out of Scotland and into a more competitive situation.
    19. Alejandro Bedoya - Really like his energy.
    20. Benny Feilhaber - A great decision-maker who will have to fight for the spot to play in the nation of his birt.
    21. Mikkel Diskerud - Lots of potential.
    22. Joseph Gyau - Potential
    23. Sacha Kljestan - Would not be on here if not for his solid play in the Gold Cup.
    24. Jose Francisco Torres - Not as athletic as his competition; he will have to prove his worth as a smart, creative player.
    25. Sebastian Lletget - Potential.

Forwards
    26. Jozy Altidore - Still our best option but that can change real fast (like in the next two games)
    27. Juan Agudelo - Needs more playing time with club.
    28. Teal Bunbury - Has been ineffective in MLS
    29. Charlie Davies - Has to work on regaining his form.
    30. Jerome Kiesewetter - Longshot, but what the hell... German-borns have been working out well.

If they're good enough, MLS midfielders and forwards can get by with their talent (Donovan, Agudelo). However, the mental aspect of the defensive game is different. Defensive players will not improve by playing in MLS; they must get solid experience against strong, cohesive attacking units, and that can only come in Europe. If Gonzalez, Bornstein, Ream and Franklin are stuck in MLS two years from now, we need to explore other options.

2. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to go with something like this.

GK: Howard, Guzan, MacMath
    LB: Lichaj, Shea
    CB: Goodson, Bocanegra
    CB: Ream, Agbossoumonde
    RB: Chandler, Kitchen
    AM: Donovan, Bedoya
    CM: Jones, Edu
    CM: Bradley, Diskerud
    AM: Holden, Feilhaber
    FW: Agudelo, Altidore
    FW: Dempsey, Gyau

Super meh on the CBs. Love the attacking mids though.

3. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I think mine would look something like this.

4. Curva Nord

Curva Nord Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overall a pretty good list. Certainly a few position/people are crapshoots at this point in the cycle.

I am not sure that I agree with your comments re: MLS or other leagues. What a player needs is playing time and a team committed to his growth. Moves out of MLS have been bad for some people (Adu, Altidore) to name but a few. They probably would have had better growth in MLS. That said, there lack of playing time was probably not only their fault but also do to changes at the club situation.

I want our guys to be in stable club situation where they get plenty of PT. Obviously, you would rather have them in higher leagues (La Liga, Serie A) rather than lower ones but league strength is not the end all be all.

Overall though a good list.

5. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Anyone care to amend their list to include Fredito?

Here is my list (with ages in June 2014 in parens):

Forwards: Altidore (24), Agudelo (21), Adu(25), Buddle(33)

Attacking mids: Donovan(32), Dempsey(31), Bedoya(27), Shea(24), Mix(23)

Holding mids: Holden(28), Bradley(26), Jones(32), Edu(28)

Fullbacks: Chandler(24), Lichaj(24), Bornstein(29)

Centerbacks: Goodson(32), Gonzalez(25), Ream(26), John(27)

Goalies: Howard(35), Guzan(29), Hamid(23)

Last cuts: Torres(25), Convey(31), Agbossoumonde(22), Rimando(35)

6. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    I was referring mainly to defensive players. Adu and Altidore are offensive players who could have used more time stateside to mature before chasing European glory. I don't think anybody believes that it would be better for us if Lichaj, Goodson or Bocanegra were in MLS.

7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If the USA morphs into a 4-5-1, you have to think of 10 midfielders, of which at least two are pure CAMs.

I can also see the two DMs/CMs shifting more to a pure DM and a pure B2B CM.

----------------------Guzan/Cervi/Johnson-----------------------
    Chandler/Spector---Goodson/Gale---Gonzo/Ream---Lichaj/Bornstein
    --------------------Mike/Edu----Holden/Diskerud-----------------
    Bedoya/Bunbury----------Adu/Sacha----------------Shea/Starikov
    -----------------------Agudelo/Altidore--------------------------

Expecting:

- Spector going back to RB, after some trials in CM/RM.
    - Sacha becoming more a full CAM.
    - Bunbury adjusting to a winger position (it's happening).
    - Agudelo becoming greater than Altidore.
    - Starikov and Chandler sticking to the USA.

This is the 23 I expect more for the 2014/2018 transition, but I'm putting them out there, thinking of a young team, young enough for 2014 and even after.

8. AEK21

AEK21 Member

Jul 23, 2009
    People with knowledge of Bornstein's past/current club play:

Any chance we see him move to play CB? I feel like people have mentioned it in the past and he would add some quickness to partner Goodson. He gave a good account of himself in the WC and is widely hated on BigSoccer--surely a sign of quality.

9. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    Does anyone know the status of Danny Mwanga's pursuit of citizenship? At one point, he was said to be in line for it this summer (I recall a discussion or two about whether he would have it in time for the Gold Cup). Mwanga is roughly between the ages of Agudelo and Bunbury, and he is actually producing more in MLS (11 career goals in 37 matches, compared to 13/2 for Agudelo and 39/8 for Bunbury).

Teal has stagnated this year, Mwanga's improving even in a crowded forward pack at Philadelphia.

10. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't know that Teal stagnated. He scored two high quality goals in week 3 and was very dangerous up until then. It's almost like he woke up and forgot how to play one day. All of a sudden can't pass, not just missing, but by a lot - just strange. Part Vermes fault, part yips to me. CJ Sapong though is looking like a CF for the future. Hopefully his game continues to progress. He wins balls up top that I'm not sure any other player in MLS could win. Freakishly athletic.

11. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goalkeepers(3):
    Tim Howard
    Brad Guzan
    Bill Hamid

Defenders(7):
    Timothy Chandler
    Eric Lichaj
    Omar Gonzalez
    Jeff Larentowicz
    Zak Whitbread
    Tim Ream
    Jonathan Bornstein

Midfielders(9):
    Michael Bradley
    Jermaine Jones
    Maurice Edu
    Sacha Kljestan
    Landon Donovan
    Clint Dempsey
    Brek Shea
    Joseph Gyau
    Stuart Holden

Forwards(4):
    Freddy Adu
    Jozy Altidore
    Juan Agudelo
    Eugene Starikov

Starting Lineup (4-6-0 ish):

---------------------Howard---------------------
    Chandler--Larentowicz--Gonzalez--Bornstein
    ----------------------Edu-----------------------
    --------------Holden------Bradley-------------
    -------------------------------------------------
    Gyau-------------------------Altidore---------
    ------------------Dempsey-------------------
    -----------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------

12. Agudelicious9

Agudelicious9 Member

Jun 9, 2011
    How in the name of anything do you have Bornstein starting, and Lichaj not?

13. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does Larentowicz become a WC starter at age 30? How many actual central defenders do we burn through to get to that point? lol

14. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Very good questions.

15. Agudelicious9

Agudelicious9 Member

Jun 9, 2011
    I'll bite on the starters though...

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Altidore, Adu, Dempsey, Bradley, Diskerud, Donovan, Lichaj, Goodson, Ream, Chandler, Howard[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Forward Sub: Agudelo
    Midfield Sub: Holden
    Defense Sub: Cherundolo
    GK Sub: Guzan

16. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Great roster, except...

What has Cherundolo done over the past two weeks to convince anyone he won't be there?!?!?!?!?! He looks to have a lot left. Ditch Kitchen, keep Stevie!!!

No opinion on 3rd keeper for me.

Other than that I'd take this

Edit:
    wait a minute...forgot about Freddy!!!!...could beat out anyone...maybe..maybe...
    Benny will be injured of course, Freddy on!

17. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lichaj is right-footed.

And Larentowicz is the most underrated player in MLS by a mile (including Brad Davis). Plus our CB pool sucks. I doubt anyone expected Robbie Findley to start at this point in the last WC cycle.

18. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I have seen a lot of right footers play the LB spot and do fine. One of the best LBs in the world is right footed.

Has Larentowicz played CB before? I agree he is underrated but I dont see him starting or getting time for the national team unless he goes abroad or starts consistently playing CB well enough to be considered one of the best in the MLS.

19. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    i actually see holden starting. call me crazy.

20. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If healthy, I don't see how he can't barring some mysterious drop in form. Him and Chandler are going to be the 2 best players on this team in 2014.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Ideally, no one 30 or over will be considered essential.

I doubt it, though.

22. drumline123

drumline123 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    [LINEUP-4-4-2]Altidore, Davies, Dempsey, Bradley, holden, Adu , Lichaj, Goodson, Ream, Chandler, Howard[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Forward Sub: Agudelo
    Midfield Sub: Donovan
    Defense Sub: Cherundolo
    GK Sub: Guzan

im worried about ream, goodson pairing because they are slow.

23. RiceBubble

RiceBubble Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope we see a George John and Omar Gonzalez partnership in the back at some point in this cycle. I think it could kick some serious butt.

24. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't necessarily agree on that. Dempsey for example could be essential and as long as he doesn't lose much, I'd have no problem with that. Same for Donovan actually (despite his recent dip in form)

25. warmblooded

warmblooded BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 17, 2004
    Clowntown, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a real stretch. (Seems like that's the second time I've seen Jeff's name thrown in the CB hat on these boards in the past couple of days... unless it was you both times? Strange.) Considering we have a player like George John out there. Or even someone like Ricardo Clark, who is out of the congested CM picture but has been plugged in at CB i the Bundesliga recently with Frankfurt.

I like Larentowicz a lot. But he benefits from playing with Mastro, who may be the most underrated US National teamer of all time. Larentowicz is of a similar level as Beckerman (who I also think is a great player). All of those camp cupcake (and 2009 Gold Cup) caps allotted to Logan effin' Pause definitely should have gone to Big Red. A Beckerman-Larentowicz pairing would have been much more exciting than the Beckerman-Pause pairing we saw. That was brutal.