23 Tickets to Brazil

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by flem16, May 18, 2011.

1. nnelli

nnelli Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The dribble statistic is more of a "successful take on defender" type statistic. How many times a player dribbles past a defender.

COMtnGuy and jaxonmills repped this.
  2. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    re: replacing Bedoya over Donovan because of his defensive workrate; no smart coach would settle for a far less productive wing forward because he plays better defense. A dangerous wing forward occupies two opposing defensive players. That is defense.

Berks, StillKickin and Excellency repped this.
  3. nnelli

nnelli Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Agreed. Bradley definitely comes out looking like more of an AM/playmaker type role. I was also surprised at how good Davis' numbers are. I wonder if he gets the start on the left opposite Zusi?

As for the through balls, I got those stats from WhoScored.com. They list through balls as "An attempted/accurate pass between opposition players in their defensive line to find an onrushing teammate (running through on goal)". Numbers definitely seem low, but I guess with the specificity and requirement of being successful, it makes some sense.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, an unsuccessful through-ball is a turnover.

5. nnelli

nnelli Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    A valid point!

6. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    That must be the reason why Rodgers always played Coutinho ahead of Henderson, or why Pellegrini always played Navas ahead of Milner.

7. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    i can only speak about Porugal and we cut Quaresma who was playing great ball but when reporters talked to him and on his twitter he left words of encouraement

futbal4eva repped this.
  8. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For any CB actually. Just as Edu would be for a CM and Boyd for a forward.

9. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here we go again....Bedoya can play flawless defense as RM and just ONCE he plays mediocre as a RB no less and the whole track record goes out the window. If you think LD's defense is better than an in form Bedoya as a RM, then I don't know what to tell you. Bedoya will force the opponent to get rid of the ball, LD will contain the attack, I have never (a little exaggeration) seen LD mix it up when defending.

futbal4eva repped this.
  10. apetgrave

apetgrave Member

Jul 21, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say that my one objection to excluding LD from the squad is the doubt that has been introduced.
    He has put a lot of pressure on the side, and himself with this move. I just hope JK is not about creating another David Odonkor, American style re: Julian Green.
    Do or Die, USA, all the way.

11. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Bay Area, California, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean this David Odonkor?

Because if all Green does is get subbed in and provide the assist for a game-winning goal, then I'm happy he's there.

12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That's all Odonkor did. And that's why everybody considers him a flop. Even if the goal he assisted was important, that does not detract from the fact that he was a disappointment.

Were Green to do that, and nothing more after, he'd also be a flop.

13. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'd be a flop, but he'd have justified his inclusion for this World Cup.

14. Bradley's Glare

Jul 31, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Preston North End FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

15. Bradley's Glare

Jul 31, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Preston North End FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was good not great I thought. Great set piece for the goal and dangerous corner kicking. He was as good in the possession game as usual. Donavan is no Claudio Reyna as far as feet go but he comes from the same school of diffusing pressure with the quick pass soccer brain. His start stop speed game with the ball doesn't really work anymore sad but true. He still takes great angles pressing the defenders. His first goal was a nice piece of running in the box to get past a flat footed defender. Of course, the elder statesman Robbie Keane was keen to set him up by running at the Philly back line all game.
    He will be missed

16. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If true, decent choice by JK

FW__, futbal4eva, StillKickin and 4 others repped this.
  17. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I'm fine with that. Makes sense.

18. camasterton

camasterton Member

Jun 26, 2001
    North Carolina
    Always believed Greene was not Donovan's competion. It was Wondolowski and Mix. Also believe it was Gonzalez, not Brooks over Goodson. Beasley over Parkhurst.

futbal4eva repped this.
  19. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Green = Odonkor. But I'd argue that really it is Yedlin = Odonkor. Short, but powerful and fast pure flank player, coming off one promising year as a 1st team professional.

Green is a wispy skill player, and he has essentially zero 1st team professional experience. Green is a different kind of gamble than Odonkor or Yedlin.

orcrist repped this.
  20. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good point, and you're right, he's a better fit style-wise. But I meant more in the super-sub sense. Odonkor was a pure "joker" in the German sense; that translates to "wildcard" in English, and it's the German phrase for supersub which I think is very fitting for Green, given his rawness combined with supposed high potential.

futbal4eva and Mr Martin repped this.
  21. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, JK surely is hoping Green can play the Joker role, although maybe more like the skilled, clever, mobile, tiny Oliver Neuville did for that German team in 2006. Neuville and Odonkor were the two attacking Jokers, one as a powerful flank runner and one as a skilled, clever, mobile attacker.

Of course, the soon-to-be 19 year old youth player cannot be expected to perform like the highly experienced Neuville. And that's a natural lead in to ... Donovan, who would be a natural Joker if that was what was desired.

Green is so raw, so new to the pro game and international soccer, that he's in some entirely different category from the classy skilled veteran Joker like Neuville, or the powerful workhorse flank running Joker like then 3d-year pro Odonkor.

orcrist repped this.
  22. orcrist

orcrist Member+

Jun 11, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. We can hope, though! Soon enough hopes and/or fears will coalesce. Or not :-|

futbal4eva repped this.
  23. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am always hopeful. I will root for the US 100%. World Cups are a thrill every 4 years.

But beyond hope, I also would prefer to play the odds. JK has taken a mostly logical roster, but in several key positions I think he has chosen the lesser odds. On the margin, I think he's taken too many defenders, 2 of whom will probably see zero minutes, he's taken a pair of redundant left-sided mids who won't contribute much, he's left the engine room in central midfield too thin for my taste in a group with tremendous midfield opponents, and he's left the best play-maker in US history at home, which created a cloud of controversy that will dog this team for the next month.

And he's still playing musical chairs all along the back line, the one place where stability and cohesion is paramount.

Hope only goes so far... ;)

ebbro repped this.
  24. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  25. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    To be fair, Quaresma didn't start and go 90 minutes in 70% of WCQs like Evans did. I bet if he had he'd be a little miffed.