211 To 1: World Cup 2018 Elimination Timeline [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by EvanJ, Jan 15, 2015.

1. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    After getting pummelled in the very first one - Canadian law now prevents them from participating in any Hex

Look it up.

J

2. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    62. Ghana

Ghana scored with the final kick of the game, but the goal was scratched off for a ridiculous offside call (preceeded by a terrible non-PK call). I doubt Egypt will not win tomorrow (hence will qualify anyway), but Ghana has all the reason in the world to report this game to FIFA. I know its unheard of, but since it was the last kick of the game Ghana should get three points and not be out just yet.

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if the game isn't appealed, you can't list Ghana as eliminated. It will be a shock if Egypt doesn't win hosting Congo, but before then UEFA could have eliminations.

4. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    O, sorry. Right. Missed that - thought Egypt had 10 pts. Ghana still theoretically in.
    I've never heard of FIFA or anyone reviewing the result of a game based on a bad call at the death... Seems unlikely, even if fair. VAR would have not let this stand.

5. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    UEFA Group I is the real group of death, 4 of the top 27 teams in the world!

Iceland, Croatia, Ukraine, Turkey (E)

6. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Not to mention Serbia, Wales, Ireland, and Austria.

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    62. Zambia

Nigeria beat Zambia 1-0 to make Nigeria qualify.

8. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    62. Zambia

Nigeria first to qualify from Africa.

9. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Only because of how FIFA's ranking gives a huge boost to all UEFA countries. There are quite a few teams ranked below Turkey right now who are significantly better....

10. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But even without the FIFA Ranking, just look at the teams logically. It is definitely the group of death.

Croatia have the players to be competing with the top honestly. They are inconsistent but I believe they are capable of beating anyone when they are at their best. Modric is one of the best midfielders in the world, if not the best.

Iceland is quite a strong team.

Turkey is quite strong as well. Sometimes they can be weak, but overall they do have talent and Turan plays for Barcelona.

Ukraine has a quite a bit of talent as well with Konoplyanka and Yarmolenko. Also a great team.

Finland and Kosovo are no pushovers. We just saw what Finland can do in the last few games. Kosovo as well despite being a new team, I think they can be a slight threat. Just like Luxembourg on how they drew with France, and Macedonia on how they drew with Italy.

11. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    So here's my best analysis of the 2nd place teams in UEFA. Point totals are for purposes of deciding the playoff teams, and therefore do not included points earned against the last place team in each group.

Group F will be represented by either Scotland (on 14pts, if they win @ Slovenia) or Slovakia (12 pts, +5 GD).

Group D will likely be represented by Wales, unless Ireland pulls an upset in Cardiff. If Wales win, they clinch a playoff spot. If they draw, they finish 2nd in their group (12 pts, +2 GD), but still could be eliminated because they will finish behind the 2nd place team in Group F, and could finish behind the 2nd place team in group I (Ukraine if they win, Croatia if they draw while scoring 2 more goals than Wales do).

Group I will be either Ukraine (14 pts, +1 GD or more) if they beat Croatia, or Croatia (12 pts, +2 GD) if the match between the two ends in a draw.

Additionally, if Scotland wins away to Slovenia, things then get really confusing, because all the teams currently on 13 points (Sweden, N.Ireland, Denmark, Greece) all come into play.

12. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    61. Bulgaria
    60. Gabon
    (or did I miss someone else?)

EvanJ repped this.
  13. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That looks okay.

14. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    And Scotland are out after failing to beat Slovenia.

15. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Also, this thread seems to be WAY OFF in counting eliminations.

As I type, there are only 52 teams who have yet to be eliminated, which means that if we started with 211, 159 teams have been eliminated, not 63......

IASocFan repped this.
  16. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    #516 Every Four Years, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    T-59. Scotland and Slovenia

As mfw13 noted, Scotland's failure to win in Slovenia eliminated it. That leaves it with 18 points, the same as Slovakia, but Slovakia has a better goal difference. This result also simultaneously eliminated Slovenia, which could technically still have finished second had it beaten Scotland and Slovakia had failed to beat Malta at home.

57. Montenegro

Montenegro's match in Poland concluded just a minute or two after Slovenia-Scotland, and its 2-4 loss saw it go out with 16 points in the final group standings, 4 behind second-placed Denmark.

EDIT: Actually, technically, Slovenia was eliminated when Slovakia v Malta finished 3-0 a couple minutes earlier even before its own match concluded. So, technically, it should be: 59. Slovenia; 58. Scotland.

beamish repped this.
  17. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Hey Guys, any of you know which team is better Egypt or Iceland? Like who would be favorites if they face each other in 2018 World Cup? I really want to see that game so badly!

18. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    56., 55 - Ghana, Uganda

19. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It's pretty even, I'd actually say they'd tie.

20. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Ghana was already eliminated yesterday, weren't they?

21. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    No, an Egypt loss meant Ghana were still in it.

thedragonrik58 repped this.
  22. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Ah, okie dokie.

23. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Possibly yeah. I think Iceland might be slightly better but it is close. I have always been fascinated to see those countries play each other for no real reason. Completely random, but for some reason I always wanted to see them meet somehow. Hopefully same group!

24. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    #524 Every Four Years, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    If you like both teams, wouldn't it be counterproductive if they're in the same group? I agree that could be a fascinating encounter though. Both are relatively new at this level. Iceland is a debutante (though we got some glimpses of what they could do at Euro 2016), while Egypt isn't, but hasn't been to the World Cup for ages. It would be interesting to see what they'd do.

EDIT: Iceland would be a debutante. It still has to beat Kosovo tomorrow.

25. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I'm not mistaken, Bosnia is now officially out too, and they cannot finish as a top-9 runner up, no? Maximum only 11 points?