211 To 1: World Cup 2018 Elimination Timeline [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by EvanJ, Jan 15, 2015.

1. keremistanbul

keremistanbul Member

Fenerbahçe
    Turkey
    Sep 6, 2015
    İstanbul
    Club:
    Fenerbahce SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    We we will be out for 20 years without reaching world cup finals if we can't make it in 2018. We have strong clubs such as Fenerbahce, Galatasaray and Besiktas, however we don't have a national team that matches these expectations.

We have an important away fixture on monday against Croatia. Terim left Turan out of squad. We have lot of capable players but team cohesion is far away from quality. We are only good at when it comes to chaos football, which shows our lack of tactical variation.

Despite all negatives that emerged last 3 months, i am hopeful for 2018 Russia

2. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Canada's chances of recovering a 5 goal differential are slim. Guatemala's chances are microscopic.

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We know, but we still don't list them on the elimination timeline yet. Guatemala plays before Canada, so Guatemala (or USA if something with a one in a million chance happens) will be eliminated before Canada or Honduras.

4. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It's just commentary. I doubt everyone knows.

Anyhoo, this is a bit of a kerfuffle.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ribe-canada-2018-world-cup-qualifier-honduras

Salvadoran players will understandably be nervous of keeping appearances given the 2013 scandal.

5. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
  6. Fuera del Area

Jun 27, 2007
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Club:
    Club Deportivo FAS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #256 Fuera del Area, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    111. Guatemala

After the 110th team tonight, there won't be any additions to this list until March, which is the earliest possible match date that an OFC team can be eliminated.

Dr. Gamera and thedragonrik58 repped this.
  7. Dr. Gamera

Dr. Gamera Member+

Oct 13, 2005
    Wheaton, Maryland
  8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about CONMEBOL? CONMEBOL had 4.5 spots, and Colombia and Ecuador are tied for fourth with 13 points. Venezuela is last with 2 points. Let's say the Top 3 (Uruguay, Brazil, and Argentina), Colombia, and Ecuador win all their games in October and November not against each other and Venezuela loses every game. If the Top 5 could all get to 21 points (19 more than 2 with 6 games left), Venezuela could be eliminated this year.

Matchday 9: None of the Top 5 play each other. If they all win, it would be:
    Uruguay 19
    Brazil 18
    Argentina 18
    Colombia 16
    Ecuador 16

Matchday 10: Colombia vs. Uruguay is the only game between two of the Top 5. Since Colombia would be 3 points behind Uruguay, I'll make it a Colombia win. The standings would be:
    Brazil 21
    Argentina 21
    Uruguay 19
    Colombia 19
    Ecuador 19

Matchday 11: Brazil vs. Argentina and Uruguay vs. Ecuador are between two of the Top 5. Since Brazil and Argentina would have reached 21 points by this game, I'll make it a draw. I'll make Uruguay vs. Ecuador a draw also. The standings would be:

Brazil 22
    Argentina 22
    Colombia 22
    Uruguay 20
    Ecuador 20

Matchday 12: Argentina vs. Colombia is the only game between two of the Top 5. Both of them would have already had 22 points, so it doesn't matter what outcome I make up for it. If Uruguay and Ecuador both draw or win, all five of them would be up to 21 points.

It may not be likely for Venezuela to be eliminated this year, but it is possible.

Dr. Gamera and edcalvi repped this.
  9. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    #259 edcalvi, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    This was bitter sweet for us.

Our Fish Carlos Humberto Ruíz scored five goals and broke a world record by becoming the highest scoring player ever in WCQ history with 39 goals.

He reached 68 goals overall tying Gerd Müller, Hossam Hassan, and Robbie Keane.

http://m.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y=2016/m=9/news=all-hail-ruiz-the-record-breaker-2831275.html

ceezmad and Dr. Gamera repped this.
  10. KiarashM

KiarashM Member+

Mar 2, 2014
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
  11. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Cameroon with better qualifying odds than Nigeria and Algeria??? Something is obviously off...

12. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #262 Rickdog, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    - Portugal "looking as good", same as Switzerland, after they lost their only match, preciselly against them
    - Japan "looking good", whom lost one match at home, with 3 pts.; while Saudi Arabia undefeated with 6 pts. in the same group "need some luck".
    - South Korea a "near lock" and Iran "looking good", both with higher odds than Uzbekistan who is also "looking good", but where Uzbekistan has more points than both the other two (and also got more points vs. a common opponent to South Korea), in the same group.
    - We (Chile), "need some luck" with 47 % in odds, while at the same time, Paraguay, odds in 11 % and "looking unlikely", when they not only have one more point than us, but also they defeated us recently.
    :rolleyes:

That chart is more bias, than any other thing......
    And what's worse, it's off-topic

13. Yacine9

Yacine9 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Algiers
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    Yeah, I'm just saying... If anything I have them 3rd but you never know.

Nacho scored another one today, his form has been really good lately

14. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Assist on the first one too. Still, a bit more luck than sheer brilliance on either ;)

Yacine9 repped this.
  15. Yacine9

Yacine9 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Algiers
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    - Switzerland is like 14% more likely than Portugal to advance. And it's like only 1 game outta 10, played in Switzerland with Portugal missing their top player.
    - Japan had a rocky start but KSA looked unconvincing while beating the group's 2 lesser teams. They have yet to play Japan, Australia or evern the UAE (whom they got 4 outta 6 last round, tbf). I wouldn't reverse them but giving KSA higher odds would be more fair since this is their best team in years.
    - This seems more like on pedigree and experience as Uzbekistan failed to even make the intercontinental playoffs last 3 tries. They have yet to face each other but it wouldn't be shocking to see Iran & SK take the 2 direct WC spots. IMO, the biggest issue with the group is I think Iran should have higher odds than Korea.
    - Chile will probably battle for 4th/5th place at this rate. Paraguay's having a better showing than last time around but IMO won't end among the top 5. Still more than half the games to go.

Some of the biggest issues I have:
    - Cameroon not only ranked 1st in the group but having a WHOLE 30% more chance to qualify than both Algeria & Nigeria is asinine.
    - Tunisia & Congo DR should have way more chances to qualify than Guinea. The group will probably be a showdown between both.
    - I don't think France should be a near-lock. I think they'll go to Russia but it'll hardly be THAT easy.
    - Mali should've more chances. They've been looking good lately.

KiarashM repped this.
  16. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Non related but what is up with Brahimi? Porto seems to have frozen out all their African players for no reason whatsoever.

17. Yacine9

Yacine9 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Algiers
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    I have no idea. It seems like they were close to selling him to Everton but it finally didn't happen. He's also not very liked by the fans as well...

18. thedragonrik58

thedragonrik58 Member+

Los Angeles Football Club
    Mexico
    Jul 5, 2011
    Palmdale
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Not to mention he is a fvcking ballhog.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

19. Yacine9

Yacine9 Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Algiers
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    Yes, he is and tries to force things on his own too much. I would've liked him to leave the club too

20. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think they got to re-shift their categories on that.

I do not consider Italy to be "looking good" if their odds are only 51%. That is basically a toss up.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Not to mention better than Italy too! :laugh:

Netherlands 34%? lol

Just cuz someone makes a big table doesn't mean we need to post it on here.

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see a problem with somebody posting a big table and people disagreeing with it.

JLSA and KiarashM repped this.
  23. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Venezuela will be eliminated if they get 0 or 1 point from their 2 games in November, and depending on other games they could be eliminated if they get 2 or more points.

24. Fuera del Area

Jun 27, 2007
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Club:
    Club Deportivo FAS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's what I have regarding a potential Venezuela elimination in November:

Venezuela is out with:

Two losses (to Bolivia and Ecuador) AND
    Uruguay/Ecuador ends in a draw AND
    Two Argentina wins (against Brazil and Colombia) AND
    Two Paraguay wins (against Peru and Bolivia)

Venezuela would only be able to get to 20 points under this scenario. Brazil already has 21, and if Uruguay and Ecuador end in a draw, they'd both have 21 points. Two Argentina wins get them to 22, and two Paraguay wins get them to 21, which means Venezuela could finish no higher than sixth.

There could be other scenarios, but this is the simplest one I could find.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    hmmm... according to my calculations they have no chance to get eliminated if they get just 1 point in November.