21 Tickets to South Korea: 2017 U-20 World Cup

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Mar 5, 2017.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I'm sure that early Judo training has helped you many times after being thrown for a loop on Big Soccer.

Winoman repped this.
  2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    And at least partial credit to having a full head of hair.

LouisZ repped this.
  3. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several heads of hair, looks like.

4. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    If only...

5. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With me is starting as a goalie, you learn how to fall when you begin to "fly".

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  6. Gooch_Onyewu

Gooch_Onyewu Member

Jan 30, 2008
    VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Farfan looked pretty good tonight.

Gacm32, TCS35 and Donny10 repped this.
  7. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah, I know Tab can be pretty stuck in his ways, but if he doesn't see this an an option, he's just being obstinate.

Gacm32 repped this.
  8. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My impression is that Farfan will be in consideration. Tab does rate regular first-team soccer (unless he knows for a fact he doesn't like a player). That's the smart approach too. I though in Costa Rica players with pro-experience were the bright spots.

9. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's starting for Everton U23s today and has started their last two PL2 matches on 3/3 and 2/20 as well.

Not that it's likely to matter from a U20 perspective.

Tom Collingsworth and Gacm32 repped this.
  10. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking I'm taking Glad off my 21 tickets right now

11. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    http://www.sltrib.com/home/5036233-155/cassar-says-glad-and-schuler-are

Cassar said the RSL medical staff are currently exploring other opinions on Glad's right knee.
    "It's some issues with the knee," Cassar said. "There could be some ligament stuff, but the good thing is that it's not fractured, we believe. But there could be some ligament issues."

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  12. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup

13. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DAMN....... is EPB still hurting or is he fit with KC?

14. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is USS lobbying CONCACAF to have Honduras and El Salvador removed from the next edition of qualifying? They should on account this wasn't an isolated incident rather a culture in those programs of trying to win by any means and if not take your frustration out on them. There should be some sort of deterrence, retribution, and restorative justice provided. If there was, this wouldn't happen outside individual thugs, which you can't do anything about other than punish them after the fact.

We have to protect our players better for mutual interest. If Glad's long-term ability is adversely impacted by this that could be millions lost in salary over the course in his career. Hard to put a price for the program on what losing the full contributions of EPB, Glad, Fossey, and Williamson over the years would have meant. Stuart Holden's injuries were not only very costly to his career directly but us indirectly. Do we lose to Mexico both times, once in WC qualifying to put us in a hole and the other in the Confed Cup playoff to miss out on that tourney, if Stuart Holden is on the field instead of gimpy ol' Jones? That's many millions in potential revenue lost. I thought the problem was foreseeable with how quickly Holden was rushed back to save Bolton's ass from where they are now. I said that at the time. May have learned with Geoff Cameron seeing doctors stateside for second opinions, even though that pissed off his club. Tough crap, it's the smart play. They didn't own his career because they owned his services for a few years. I would like to see USS do something about this instead of just forgetting about it quickly or compartmentalizing, enabling opponents to do the same thing in the future because they are inferior and unethical.

15. Trevor Fossey

Trevor Fossey Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fossey played at LB on 23th March for Fulham u23 and had a good game in a 1-1 tie with West Brom u23. DLT also played the full 90 minutes

http://www.fulhamfc.com/pl2/2016_2017/league/home/west-bromwich-albion

16. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I actually don't think we can lump Honduras and El Salvador together in this regard. I found El Salvador to have crossed the line. In the 2nd half, they had no interest in playing soccer. They wanted to turn the game into a street brawl to get players sent off and injured. It was a petulant display from flat-out losers.

I found the Honduras game, in which Glad got hurt, to be physical. We happened to get a couple of players injured in that game, but I didn't see the plays in which injury occurred as being "malicious." There was nothing in the tackle against Glad that you don't see every week in the EPL or MLS. Players get injured in this sport. Its gonna happen whether you're playing Honduras or Real Madrid.

Here was a headline that made me smile. I like it when our U20s are considered essential to the success of a team.

Can RSL get by without Justen Glad?
    http://www.rslsoapbox.com/2017/3/6/14834500/rsl-survival-chances-without-justen-glad

I can tell myself one thing. If there is one position this cycle at which the U20s can sustain an injury its centerback. We have a plethora of options if Glad is out. Foremost among them, of course, is Cameron Carter-Vickers. He was going to make the squad anyway if available. Instead of Trusty being booted from the squad, now CCV replaces Glad. If we're going to keep EPB in the midfield, then Redding/CCV is an interesting CB combo. EPB/CCV would be downright beastly.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  17. Alex Yang

Alex Yang Member

Mar 9, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Could be this U20 cycle's DeAndre Yedlin. I don't think he was on the qualifying roster in the 2013 cycle but was very good in the tournament itself

18. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe.. but DeAndre didn't just start for Seattle to start 2013, he played very, very well. Farfan is still a ways off from making the impact Yedlin did right off the bat.

19. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My latest 21

Klinsmann
    Marcinkowski
    Scott
    Fossey
    Herrera
    CCV
    EPB
    Redding
    Farfan
    Acosta
    Adams
    Weston
    Zelalem
    Taitague
    de la Torre
    Perez
    Williamson
    Jones
    Lennon
    Wright
    Ebobisse

Notes

- Glad is out with an injury

- Not sure about where Bogres injury

- EPB is a central defender now

- Borges vs. Farfan is a battle. Ramos does rate first team pro experience. This will come down to the April camp in England (from what I've heard)

- Will Ramos go with three central defenders? He was planning to do so in 2015 with just CCV, EPB, and Miazga. He only added Donovan when Canouse went out with injury.

- I think Olusunde could get one more chance to go as Fossey's backup if he impresses in April.

Gacm32, C-Rob and Winoman repped this.
  20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Does Ramos just not rate Vom Steeg or is Scott some wunderkid?

21. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Too Bad about Glad. Would like to see more speed on the wings. Akale? Only true wingers are Lennon and Perez. Seems like we have too many CM for 3 spots. That makes De La Torre, Taitague, and Williamson possible but they are really just more CMs.

22. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see Vom Steeg making it.

But I am just putting Scott in there since he's done well in recent camps and is the likely #1 to start next cycle.

23. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure Glad is out. I just don't think it's a good situation.

Akale and Lewis are certainly in the mix for the final team.

24. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    #174 ielag, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    I wonder if that's where Arellano could sneak back in? He's mainly a CB but has played some LB, which would leave two of, Acosta, Borges, or Farfan out in that scenario.

25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That would seem like a long shot unless he starts getting first team minutes with LAG or is completely dominating for Los Dos.