21 June game versus Gold Pride [R]

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Sol' started by Tsunami, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Mosan

Mosan Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Munich
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Finesse pass by DiMartino and brave finish by Adriane.

2. geewizzz

geewizzz Member

Sep 4, 2008
    LA Sol are just too strong... they defend as a unit.

3. sandaroo

sandaroo Member

Jan 26, 2006
    2nd to last defender
    Wow... Good Game!

Sol really played well together today. Very nice passing throughout the game.

My only question is: What was up with Marta not pulling the trigger in the second half? She must have had three opportunities to shoot, and instead she tried to pass it off.

4. Older And Bolder

Older And Bolder New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Just got back from the game. FCGP need Candace Wilson. We looked great as long as you remind yourself that for every National Team quality play Cox makes there will be a WTF??!!:eek: play...so Cox was a wash. Rest of defense looked good...Makoski a little rusty after a game off but decent. Marta of course, is worth the price. Miyama, Abily, Boxx, Falk, Franco, LeBlanc had great games. Wagner was decent but I think Zerboni is more dangerous. Bock seemed to be a day late and a dollar short on many plays=defender beat her to the ball. The Bench: I thought Barnes looked different and then realized it was Schnugg...Barnes waived. I don't think Cameron was on the bench. Zerboni was in sweat pants and a huge gray parka. She wasn't listed as ill or injured so???? Henderson was in uniform so ankle aside, she may have been in better shape than Cameron in an emergency. And then there is Han Duan. There is no chemistry between Duan and the other players. She seems like she isn't trying??? It may be that she is not a good fit in Rogers' system. Case in point was when Marta had the ball just over the center line in our offensive half with several GP players closing in. Marta passes to the side line where Duan should have placed herself. Instead, Duan is up the sideline where Marta can't see her and where she can't pass as the defender is of course, goal side. Soccer 101. Place yourself in the space where the player can easily use you as an outlet pass. Cox is always positioned perfectly on the side line for quick outlet passes. Boxx doesn't even look to see if she's there because she doesn't have to. I'm ready for Schnugg up top with Marta and leave Duan on the bench. Beautiful soccer weather and a clean match.

5. soccermavin

soccermavin New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Hey Older & Bolder, I think Barnes would look good in an FCGP uniform as an attacking back, that was her specality at WVU. The FCGP D was schooled today.

6. soccermavin

soccermavin New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Does anyone know if LA has the oldest average age?

7. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009

I watched the Webcast...

Rogers must have listened to posters in this forum...He used subs!
    Indeed, Sol has to play on Wednesday in St. Louis.

Duan had some chances to score...But, Barnhart blocked the shots...I guess she indeed deserves to be Solo's backup on USWNT.

It was nice seeing Mia Hamm and Joy Fawcett for the celebration of '99.

Duan and Marta not being on the same page...I am reminded of Robbie Keane and Fernando Torres situation...Liverpool manager Benitez got Keane at the start of 08/09 season. Keane and Torres didn't really play well with each other. In January of this year, Benitez sent Keane back to Tottenham, Keane's original team.

I guess Sol could also trade Duan later...

8. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm always rooting for Han Duan but I have to agree that maybe she would excel more on another team perhaps?? She doesn't seem to be at her best on this team. she missed a header that Marta perfectly kicked for her and didn't run fast enough to get away from the defenders... or maybe I'm being too hard on her?? I don't really know.

she did strike the ball in the goal but Barnhart got it... I gotta give credit to that goalie, even though she let 2 balls go in, she made a bunch of great saves, SOL put a lot of pressure on her at times....

9. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got to yesterday's game only 20 minutes before kickoff because of traffic coming up from San Diego - I knew that there would be a sparse crowd from the lack of traffic into HDC. As it turned out, there were a lot of late-arriving people, so the attendance wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (although it was still disappointing that it didn't match up to the other Saturday/Sunday attendance.)

Cameron was there for warm-ups, she took her regular turn between the pipes. Henderson, on the other hand, didn't show up until half time.

An entertaining game, wish there had been more replays where we could see what went wrong with some of the Sol's chances to score - and what went right when they stopped some of the Pride's chances that looked to be sure goals. There was lot's of cheering and groaning in the area around me.

For awhile I thought that half the Pride team would go down with leg problems. And I was surprised that Tiffeny started, and wonder if Weimar and the other forwards were suffering from nagging injuries.

The starting 11 did look pretty good in there. I wish that the team had scored a couple of more goals - I wanted to see if the coach would substitute early to allow some starters to take a rest. After all, from the time of the final whistle to the start of the St. Louis game is only 70 hours.

10. chinadaiyi

chinadaiyi Member

Sep 11, 2008
    China
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    han duan didn't play for 3 games.and today no as a starting-line.

although got 3 chance. Bernehart saved well.

Marta did well in the season.and more personal passing or made other teamer didn't know what to do ?

Han duan needs change a team in the next season.

although sol can win more games with marta.

when marta get injury or not on his best conidition?:cool:

11. Merlin777

Merlin777 New Member

Mar 26, 2007
    Superb game by the Sol with their crisp passing, solid defense and good finishing (at least in 1H). The team really looked good and like they were in a true offensive rhythm. The give and go passes were beautiful to watch, in particular Miyama and Abily shined in this area with multiple combinations. The midfield looked very good in this game along with usual brilliance from Marta.

This was, I think, one of the best all around games for the Sol this season. My only quibble is 2H finishing needs to be better, but have to also give credit to Barnhart who made some great saves and with a 2-0 lead it did not matter.

Le Blanc and the rest of the defense played their normal strong game. They are almost always in position and never give up any breakaways or easy shots for opponents. Well done and another shutout.

Next - onto the blast furnace of St. Louis with temps in mid 90's and humidity the same.

12. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Han has a back injury. She was not benched for bad play, but is working her way back after hurting herself.

No need for her to change teams.

13. Older And Bolder

Older And Bolder New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Agree. I was telling her to shoot and not pass twice and she didn't hear me.;)

14. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marta could have made two more goals but she always looks for her teammates to pass the ball to

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Let me guess. Things I thought I'd never read on the Internet.:p

If I hadn't seen the match, I'd ask if y'all were confusing your teams(although I can understand one thinking Landon Donovan plays for the Sol).

16. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    That is bizarre. They are also the only team with a "plus" anything right now, ie only team above 0.500 as they say in baseball.

17. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
    Having a positive goal difference is not unusual...Look at the top 4 teams in English Premier League last season...I think they all had positive goal differentials...