Rumor: 2026 Bid in Jeopardy

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by manfromgallifrey91, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    #626 Three and Three, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    I don't care. Someone raised the topic. I attempted to shine a bit of educated light. If one can consider the influence of our president, one can try to make sense of a curious vote.

2. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I saw complaints on Twitter from the Guinea football federation over the voting, after its vote for the U.S. instead of Morocco was revealed.

So Guinea and Brazil cancel each other out.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  3. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    #628 Three and Three, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    But for the those who care, the Brazil vote merits explanation.

I don't care. Fifa politics bore and disgust me. But there's a cultural dimension at play, one that goes beyond - I'm reluctant to say "transcends" - soccer.

I'm not surprised. I don't care.

4. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we can all agree that culture, politics, and money were/are heavily involved in FIFA.

Half of Moroccos bid was that the US Soccer Culture is poor and wouldn't know today's stars.

Trump had a part, probably some negative and some positive. My take is he was probably a net positive. He probably talked with leaders about it, from a purely business side of it. And he showed a real interest in winning the bid.

My guess, and this is all it is, is Brazil was probably part of an alliance with countries who stated privately theyd vote that way. Then changed their minds before the public vote happened. But who knows, the great thing is I can take my kid to a world cup game and soak it in. I'm thrilled.

CU soccer and Three and Three repped this.
  5. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Three and Three repped this.
  6. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    By the way, one can care and celebrate. If someone gives the old cowardly chop or flops when honestly marked, I'm going to remember win, lose, or draw. One would be silly not to remember.

7. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    While we're at it, has anyone come across a quote from Michael Bradley? Or is he too busy with the correspondence work from Fletcher?

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    No one is obligated to vote for a given bid. In a way, South America has gone against its own interest voting for the USA, since that means the 2030 "Mundial del Centenario" is less likely to be awarded to the Argentina-Uruguay bid.

Unless CONCACAF has promised their votes, that is. Brazil was supposed to go along with Spanish-speaking Latin America (they almost always do), but I guess they had some lateral geopolitical considerations (read: business with China in Africa) to push their vote the other way.

9. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Perhaps, but his three (possibly four) attempts to buy an NFL team, his two (probably three) attempts to buy an MLB team, his backing of the Independent Baseball League, and that notable time when he bought the USFL's New Jersey Generals and led an ambitious scheme to directly compete with the NFL and force a league merger which led directly to the USFL's meteoric decline and bankruptcy - these were all investments straight from the heart. He certainly didn't profit from any of them.

Completely off-topic but mildly interesting tangent:
    To the 90% of people who don't know what the USFL was - it was a startup gridiron football league in the 1980's which had early success by avoiding competing with the NFL, instead playing the spring, focusing on smaller markets, and building low-money rosters. They benefited from a lull in the NFL's popularity, and introduction of rule changes that changed up the game (eg. the 2-point conversion). Then Trump convinced the owners to a more aggressive strategy, so they would go directly against the NFL, by playing in the fall, signing big-money contracts, and playing in major cities. They promptly lost all broadcast deals, went way over-budget, and went bankrupt in a year.

Then they went to their plan B: they sued the NFL, claiming it was a monopoly. They sought damages of $567 million - which, under antitrust law, would be tripled to $1.7 billion. Their plan was to win the case, forcing the NFL to the bargaining table, at which point they'd make the NFL agree to absorb their teams. And they actually won! The court ruled that the NFL was indeed an unlawful monopoly, and that the USFL was in the right.

However, the court also ruled that the USFL's bankruptcy had less to do with the NFL's monopoly and more to do with their terrible business decisions - so instead of $1.7 billion, the court awarded them ... one dollar.

Which, under antitrust law, was tripled to three dollars.

Marko72 and Winoman repped this.
  10. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3/4ths of the state legislatures and 2/3rds of the House and Senate. In other words, the equivalent of San Marino defeating Spain in a Euro qualifier: Impossible.

11. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    There has been 27 of them so even though they are difficult, impossible isn't the right word here.

12. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *17 of them. The first 10 came in as a group in 1787.

13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There have been 16 in the last 220 years, and 2 in the last 50, while political polarization has increased dramatically in the last 2 decades.

Impossible is the right word, given how difficult it has been and how much more difficult it has become.

Marko72 repped this.
  14. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Of course. Furthermore, Brazil could have read the tea leaves and concluded that its vote would only be symbolic, yet still strategic. I never suggested, by the way, that Brazil was obligated; I was merely addressing the question of motivation.

15. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Can we please frame this thread for all eternity?

Bluecat82 repped this.