Rumor: 2026 Bid in Jeopardy

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by manfromgallifrey91, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
  2. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Wow - what a straw man.

UEFA FA's do not have umbrella contract's where they've ceded control of their national teams, their league, and the ability of other countries to cultivate fan bases in their nation to a business entity.

Why would Gulati say that anyone who thought the U.S. would play in the '19 Copa was delusional?

So, really, your post is totally non-responsive.

TOAzer repped this.
  3. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    SUM makes money from those matches. They aren't going to stop.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Tide may be turning: CONMEBOL endorses USA/MEX/CAN World Cup bid, even if it's not good for their planned 2030 ARG/URU Centenario bid.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-wor...rth-american-joint-bid-to-host-2026-world-cup

South American confederation CONMEBOL endorsed the United Bid of the United States, Canada and Mexico to host the 2026 World Cup, giving the proposal a significant boost on Friday.

The endorsements of CONMEBOL's 10 members, combined with recently announced support from Saudi Arabia, have given the United Bid a needed dose of good news in their battle to win the hosting rights over a rival bid from Morocco.

edcrocker repped this.
  5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You kind of suspected it was never going to be in the cards for Morocco.

Pity. The team for 2026 will be a crap American marketing nightmare. There's no way the marketing suits let us deploy a team based on merit. I feel so sorry for the USA soccer fan.

6. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big soccer has been bad enough recently. Can we please not turn it into a conspiracy theorist haven?

7. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I just think any rules concerning rotation between confederations or hemispheres or whatever are out the window. Otherwise, CONCACAF would be a slam dunk this time around. So, I don't think CONMEBOL has anything to worry about for 2030 on that score.

8. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What is the conspiracy you are concocting?

TOAzer repped this.
  9. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The biggest concern for CONMEBOL's bid for 2030 is the fact that Europe has never gone 3 tournaments without hosting. There will still probably be a strong push from UEFA to host 2030 regardless of who wins 2026.

10. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have evidence that "the marketing suits" are preventing coaches from picking a team based on merit by all means lay it out.

tomásbernal repped this.
  11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Why in the world would the coaches pick a team on merit when they are paid for picking a marketing team?

Oh, please, I'm American. The dollar is king. Don't be stupid. If they have no pressure to pick a team on merit they would be fools to do so when they can hype a marketing dream. I'll never forget the teams we picked for Basketball Olympics until one day we lost to totally inferior competition and we realized that we had picked the "flash" team, the team we were supposed to pick for marketing purposes. they had zero chemistry, nobody could shoot, nobody was suited for the interntional game and we failed to win the medal game, losing to totally inferior competition. Trust me, that is exactly what will happen in 2026. There is zero doubt in my mind.

la torre repped this.
  12. la torre

la torre Member+

Dec 27, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, well this seems like a tinfoil hat conspiracy theory to me. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Lookingforleftbacks and Excellency repped this.
  13. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to cross that bridge when we come to it. We aren't hosting yet, and NOBODY knows what the team will look like ~8 years from now.

Feel free to lament in my stead, I'm going to focus on the present.

14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Couldnt agree more. 2022 is all important. 2026 will be a waste and 2030 is just too far away. So 2022 it is. Qatar of all places. At least the Euros wont have an advantage on us. Let's go for it. First order of the day is to clear out the marketeers and the special interests and put together a team made up of real footballers.

15. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First things first. Get the morons out, or at the very least, hire competent technical staff, competent youth coaches, and a competent manager. I don't mind the suits so much if they aren't making soccer decisions.

Once we have that, then we can debate over the good players on each roster. Meanwhile, we just have to bear with Sarachan a little longer I suppose.

16. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have an idea. Lets let Excellency pick all future MNT rosters. Then we'll all be comfortable that we have put the "best footballers" out there. :ROFLMAO:

Lookingforleftbacks and Pegasus repped this.
  17. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Some MLS starter the American public never heard of vs. some guy in Europe the American public never heard of. Sounds like a marketer's dream.

18. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Last I checked we don't have really any marketable stars to the extent other sports do (your basketball analogy.) Which key "marketable players" are you worried about being selected that push out another better player? Bring back Donovan? Hell make Alexi Lalas the coach? He is a entertaining guy, etc.....

The best marketing plan is maximizing the chances to go deep in the tournament, as that is what the average casual American fan cares about. From a marketing standpoint, our players are all relatively obscure in the big scheme of our sporting landscape. Its a non factor.

SilentAssassin, Baysider and largegarlic repped this.
  19. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marketing??? Seriously? This is America. You have to win something before you become marketable.

20. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well... it doesn't sound so much like a "conspiracy theory" as it does the notion that "The kinds of Idiots that could f$ck up the Dream Team could f$ck up any team".
    Now that notion may not be chock full of respect for the acumen of our beloved leaders in the arts of politics, moneymaking or sport. It may even be accused of the no doubt 8th deadly sin of taking "what's past is prologue" to heart, but it doesn't particularly sound like a conspiracy theory.

21. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

FIFA cares about money, nothing else. Which wouldn't be so much of a problem if they weren't constantly moralizing and claiming sainthood.

Three and Three and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  23. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Doing so placates the sponsors, of course.

24. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Are we swapping USSF with the FA? What possible "marketing consideration" roster meddling could possibly occur in 2026?