Rumor: 2026 Bid in Jeopardy

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by manfromgallifrey91, Feb 28, 2018.

1. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why Morocco? Does FIFA want to continue to be a laughing stock? It's just ridiculous. Last 2 WC's have been shaky, Russia may be OK, and Qatar is a mess.

South Africa had kangaroo courts to combat sky-high crime, a terrible ball, and vuvuzelas.

Brazil cracked down on crime too, though it's the building of the 500 million dollar bus depot in Brasilia during riots and economic strife that's the most ridiculous part of the whole event.

Russia may not be horrible, Sochi, aside from the doping, wasn't the worst event. But Qatar's going to kill a couple thousand migrant workers, prop up a modern-day slave state (300,000 Qataris, over 2 and a half million non-citizen workers there), and change the soccer calendar around to compensate for the fact that they couldn't create artificial clouds (although, they will build an artificial city, and if you stand in certain spots, you will be able to drink Budweiser... maybe).

I get it, we didn't qualify for the World Cup. Boo hoo. But we're a million times better-suited to host the expanded World Cup, coupled with the history and passion of Mexico and the patina of virtue of Canada, I don't see how this is anything other than a no-brainer!

No, better give it to a random North African country who will, as part of its bid, build 8/14 of the requisite stadiums, and all of the infrastructure will be in place to allow safe and reliable transportation to all of them. I'm sure that'll be easy to do!

monere and tyguy repped this.
  3. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    They don't care about that. They gave two distinct reasons that had very little to do with merit, money, or qualifying for the last world cup.

It does seem that a Mexico or Canada solo bid or Mex/Can joint bid would likely win much easier than the current bid.

Editor In Chimp and Winoman repped this.
  4. The Real Sekrah

Jul 23, 2013
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    #4 The Real Sekrah, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    So, heinie hurt from us putting all their corrupt confed execs in jail is going to land another third world country a 48-team World Cup?

Beautiful.

Let Morocco have it . I'm having trouble gathering any more energy to support US Soccer as it is. If they don't care, why should I?

RalleeMonkey, monere, Pl@ymaker and 5 others repped this.
  5. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Let's not forget we are in the climate of travel bans and sh1tho1e country rhetoric. How would officials at home in those places explain their votes? Also with all countries having a vote there may be less breaking from the block.

The issue/ risk is not from lack of care from the US officials.

spatz, superdave, onefineesq and 3 others repped this.
  6. The Real Sekrah

Jul 23, 2013
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    I was referring to the myriad of other issues with US Soccer that US officials have no interested in taking care of. Sorry if I am having trouble getting excited for another USSF money grab.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  7. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Unfortunately that is a fair point

8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The article specifically cited concerns about Trump Administration rhetoric and policy, though obviously the impact of the corruption investigation cannot be underestimated. Not sure how Morroco would host an expanded WC.

9. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch 2022 get stripped and awarded to England. FIFA then gives 2026 to Morocco to keep Africa happy. FIFA gets their Africa World Cup and gets to stick it to the US. It's a win-win for them.

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Much of FIFA hate England as much as they to the US.

jnielsen repped this.
  11. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    This is pure crap speculation clickbait.

NA is gettting 2026. Everyone stop worrying.

12. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Indeed, FIFA is very political and the North American bid isn't fooling anyone. It's being viewed as a US bid. To turn this around, United 2026 needs to promotes Mexico and Canada far more than what's being done now and needs to redistribute the games more evenly. Letting go of the opening game would also send a better message.

13. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Sorry, but I don't want to the United States pushed around by FIFA. They can play it in Sudan for all I care.

14. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Moreso, probably, and have done so for longer.

russ repped this.
  15. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Yeah, if the check clears.

This leak says "Show me the money"

Paul Calixte repped this.
  16. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    That's how I feel too. I'd like the US (and our NA neighbors) to host, but I don't want them catering to any FIFA demands. As far as I can tell, the names of the higher-ups in FIFA have changed, but it's not clear their practices have. No new bribery has been reported since that round of arrests (right?), but they clearly didn't treat the ethics investigation or the punishment of the guilty parties seriously. I'd guess they'd go right back to accepting bribes if they feel the coast is clear.

And I don't buy the anti-Trump excuse. Trump is doing plenty of damage to our image around the world, but Obama was president when FIFA screwed us out of the 2022 tournament, and they're clearly willing to do business with Putin and other internationally disliked leaders. I'd bet it's just FIFA hemming and hawing in order to get the NA bid to sweeten the pot a bit.

jnielsen, 7E23, gunnerfan7 and 2 others repped this.
  17. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The voting system was different

Russia and Qatar - FIFA Council (encourage bribery)

2026 and beyomd - All the FIFA members gets 1 vote. (Politicizes FIFA)

So the Trump behavior and telling Africa was a shithole just caused the bid 1/4 of the votes. Why would African Nations vote US after being insulted and humiliated by that same country? Same for the Muslim ban where Middle Eastern nations are on both Asia and African sides which is FIFA biggest voting bloc.

If we were in the old FIFA Council system who decided who gets the World Cup, this wouldn't be a factor, but the new system changed the game

jnielsen, spatz, DaveBrett and 4 others repped this.
  18. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    This cracks me up. And the two reasons are...

The US stood up against the corruption and self-dealing of a bunch of assholes at the FIFA Executive Committee hell bent on enriching themselves.

The US president is a shining beacon of corruption, self-dealing, enrichment, and assholery.

I mean, damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

19. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    We have a country to run. And it's ours to run, not Fifa's. By the way, do the people at Conmebol have any idea how many South Americans live and thrive in the United States?

Anyway, here's an idea: have a promoter put together a Brazil-Argentina friendly for Miami. Then have the USSF shoot it down. Go hold your hard currency grab elsewhere, gang.

RalleeMonkey and FC Tallavana repped this.
  20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Unpopular opinion: I don't want us to host a World Cup, jointly or solo. The venues are too far apart, and the tournament won't resonate much beyond the stadiums themselves. Morocco can have it.

jnielsen, song219 and Three and Three repped this.
  21. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    No need for that, pal. Congratulations, though, for you were the first to step in it.

22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Don't bid?

23. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Disagree.

24. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'll happily eat crow in 8.5 years if I'm wrong. Mark it in your calendar. :)

Fighting Illini repped this.
  25. Chastaen

Chastaen Member+

Alavés
    Jul 9, 2004
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although FIFA has taken actions on that behavior on more than one occasion in the past, as football is to be kept separate from politics. This will be only the beginning of the impacts to FIFA and future world cups.