2022 WC Qualifiers

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by Primitive Ways, Jul 17, 2018.

1. midfield.design

May 13, 2015
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    No. Correct me if I'm wrong we won gold at the Panamerica games once before.

2. cabezamagica

cabezamagica Member

Feb 10, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    We did win it at Panamericanos,but this one carries more weight as a Conmebol tournament.

3. cabezamagica

cabezamagica Member

Feb 10, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Ok,now I guess this squad is the best one so far,or do we still think other ones are better.:thumbsdown: Jeje.where are the rest of posters.come on mang,we finally won something on the national level.:D

4. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I'm very happy we won. This was a moment in history for us. It's our first cup we've ever been awarded at any level (the panamericanos do not count).

Going back to your question, I think Sixto Vizuete's squad was just as good or possibly even better. But here's the key difference: our mentality. Celico is a coach that has steadily improved throughout the years. He used to be like Juan Ramon Carrasco who would only attack and leave his defense naked. Somewhere along the way he LEARNED what balance is all about. His teams are very attack-oriented, they pressure a lot, but NEVER do they leave their defense dismantled. Never is positioning in question. And most importantly, NEVER is their mind set on being satisfied with the bare minimum. This team is hungry and eager to win anything ALL-THE-TIME. That's the difference. Celico in his beginnings at U. Católica was not that, but he worked his way there. He would get slaughtered up to 7-0 at times. I'm sure some of you guys remember that. That's not the case now.

I hate to say it, but we needed an Argentinian, Uruguayan, or Brazilian to come teach us THAT. It's about will power and not setting limitations on yourself. The main issue with Ecuadorian players that keeps us behind the elite squads is ONE thing: "Tienen que creerselo". I'm not the first to say it.

Campana is just as good as Edson Montano was besides the fact that Edson would create more opportunities, and in turn miss more chances to score...but he still ended up scoring 5 times in the 2011 edition in this tournament (vs. 6 goals Campana scored this time making him the top Ecuadorian scorer in one tournament at this level). Renato Ibarra and Marcos Caicedo were not of lesser quality than Alvarado and Plata. Rezabala is not lightyears beyond Juan Cazares. Porozo is not a hundred times better than John Narvaez was during his time. Moises Corozo is not that much better than John Jaramillo was, in fact I'd dare to say Jaramillo was even better. It's about believing how great you are. Celico convinced these kids they are. And unlike Vizuete's Ecuador, they never encountered a moment where they looked like they were satisfied with what they had accomplished. How do you teach THAT?

With Bolillo, I find it hard to believe that will break THAT barrier because he is the first one to set it amongst our players. "No vamos a la Copa America a quedar campeones. Mi objetivo es legal al mundial." -> That right there is why we need to refresh our main squad with a different mentality.

5. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    The highlight of the tournament to me was just about every player who was a part of this squad. But the biggest stand outs were Leonardo Campana, Moises Corozo, Sergio Quintero and Jose Cifuentes (my two favorites), Jackson Porozo, Emerson Espinoza, John Espinoza, Exon Vallecilla, and Richard Mina.

Honorable mention to: Jordan Rezabala, Alexander Alvarado, Gonzalo Plata, and Diego Palacios. I think Plata is the most talented of the 3, BUT I think he has a lot to improve and that move to Sporting Lisbon may have distracted him just a little, but he has a bright future. I hope he is the guy who will fill in the spot that Antonio Valencia leaves vacant because it will be vacant VERY soon and must be filled. Alvarado and Rezabala IMO are not cracks like many believe. They remind me a lot of Sornoza and Uchuari, but with a lot more depth and finish which is the positive aspect. I find it hard to see them succeeding in a big league in Europe due to their size. I know, everyone is going to say, but look at Messi and Neymar....BUT, they don't possess that level of talent. If they can increase their muscle mass and continue developing, I think they may succeed in a league like Brazil or Mexico....but we'll see. Personally I find them over-hyped, despite the fact that they had a big tournament which I congratulate them for. I've seen many Joao Rojas, Jeff Monteros, Fidel Martinez, Angel Menas, and Uchuari's....these kids will have to convince me they aren't the same. As far as Diego Palacios, he attacks better than he defends. Looks like another Cristian Ramirez. Not bad at all for his age, but he has a lot of improving to do before he gets to the senior national team. He has lots of ups and downs during games.

6. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Let’s say these kids do an amazing job at the WC....will they be given a chance by Bolillo?

7. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Pretty awesome we finally won a cup! Watched the whole tournament and these kids are the real deal. Talent potential might not seem as good as Vizuete’s squad in some areas, but they are already more refined skills wise than any of Vizuete’s players ever were.

The positioning and skills are way ahead than other U20 teams I’ve seen from Ecuador ever. This is because these kids come from better youth schools now, and Celico’s coaching and leadership made a huge difference as well.

Also, this team is probably actually U20 in age lol. Anyways, it feels great to see Ecuador pull through, and instill a sense of “can do” attitude to all Ecuadorian around the world. So happy for the kids, can’t wait to see them evolve into NT players.

cabezamagica repped this.
  8. cabezamagica

cabezamagica Member

Feb 10, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Positioning is one of the main things that impressed me with Rezabala and his vision of play is fenomenal as well as his technical skills.I saw some footage of him from his sub 17 days,where he ran around defenders but to his detriment,he held the ball too long.I think in this tournament he made an improvement but still has. some work to do there.He really deserves some credit for his early performances in sub 20 and most important of all ,that last minute pass in the Colombia game ,that allowed the team some breathing room.