2021 U17 World Cup Cycle

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by David Kerr, Nov 1, 2019.

1. watke

watke Member

United States
    May 9, 2019
    In that case I am likely wrong. I was going off a couple players I'd consider locks having not heard yet.

Edit: (Or maybe some MLS academies will release, and some won't? I should stop speculating)

2. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is being reported that Larry Sunderland will be the new u17 coach. This is a much better hire than Hudson was.

Tactical Hipster and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think some clubs will release kids but with GA cup i wouldn’t be shocked to see them say no. Chicago’s team will qualify for the championship division no matter what even if Slonina and Rodriguez aren’t there, that team is GOOD. And Toure hasn’t really been with the 17’s all year. Kids like Rokus Pukstas are who I’m wondering about.

4. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brandan Craig is another pretty major snub from the roster

Jack0503 repped this.
  5. watke

watke Member

United States
    May 9, 2019
    I don't believe Quinn Sullivan was called up either. I think Jeff Dewsnup (GK, RSL) was.

Edit: Sullivan could have been called up but not released, I don't know

6. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you’re right Watke. This might be a very heavy Europe/non-MLS camp with a few exceptions

7. Jack0503

Jack0503 Member

Liverpool FC
    Sep 24, 2018
    Are we sure that the MLS clubs will release the players for this trip? Why would US soccer schedule a camp right in the middle of GA cup qualifying

8. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because a UEFA tournament is happening too. It’s up in the air on what academies deny kids for now.

Jack0503 repped this.
  9. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Antonio Leone is in the US U17s and so is Nicolas Perez Guillen.

Mexico rolled out the red carpet for Leone at their last U15 camp. He started all of their matches and wore the captain's armband for the final one. Might be the early top '04 CB prospect of both nations. I haven't heard of an '04 Mexico U17 camp yet. So far he's yet to turn down a call-up from either nation.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I heard the same about Leone.

A lot of these players are going to see how they like both programs. It's certainly not good news if they are in a camp for Mexico, but there was no indication that Leone wasn't going to return for the next US camp. I don't believe he even missed a US camp for his age group.

Luksarus and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  11. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That brings the confirmed list to Antonio Leone, Allan Rodriguez, Dantouma Toure, Gabe Slonina, and Fede Oliva. The confirmed snubs are Kenan Hot, Quinn Sullivan and Brandan Craig. I really hope they were snubbed for the GA cup because those are three of the top 10 players for this age group. I would really hate to see them become the next Josh Atencio.

12. slider4CU

slider4CU Member

Borussia Dortmund
    United States
    Apr 12, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leone really impressed me the last time I watched him.

Jack0503 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  13. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aethan Yohannes is apparently in.

Dewsnup was invited, but we'll see if RSL releases him.

14. DeweyEvans

DeweyEvans Member

United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    Hearing some players were denied release by MLS academies. Seems very short sighted of them.

15. Befuddled

Befuddled Member

Swansea City
    United States
    Mar 27, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure it was due to GA Cup conflicts. Short sighted is USSF scheduling national team games during GA Cup imo

Stupid_American repped this.
  16. DeweyEvans

DeweyEvans Member

United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    Well, isn't it during the qualifying games for the GA Cup rather than the cup itself? Seems counter to player development to deny them a chance to train with the National Team.

17. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Not USSF fault. This is a tournament that the US was invited to. They didn’t pick that date.

Jack0503 repped this.
  18. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    What is the general early opinion about this player cycle. I haven’t paid as much attention to the ‘04s as I did w/ previous age groups (and know even less about the ‘05s) but from what I’ve seen I’ve mostly been unimpressed. Too many non-athletes

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It’ll definitely be better than last cycle.

‘04 is a little like the 01’s. It’s somewhere around an average age group. There are good players, but no clear standout that has created separation between themselves and the rest. I can’t say which players USSF will decide to play or that you’ve seen, but I would say it’s an extremely athletic and physical age group (the most so that I’ve seen). Main strengths are in goal and all the midfield positions. Fullback is a little weak and striker depth is entirely lacking.

‘05 looks good or better, but it’s obviously very early. Clarke has separated himself from the rest of the 05’s very quickly, and hopefully we’ll see him in this team for the full cycle. There are some other good players who could contribute to this team.

20. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Justin Reynolds was not called up.

21. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Is the head coach sorted out?

22. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is without a doubt for GA Cup reasons. Him, Kenan Hot, Quinn Sullivan, and Brandon Craig should be locks for the u17 roster.

Jack0503 repped this.
  23. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Is it possible that because the games are in the UK the Feds want to look at more overseas players?

24. abcdefghi

abcdefghi Member

Real Madrid
    Trinidad and Tobago
    May 31, 2018
    Not GA Cup reasons. Just wasn’t called up.

25. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSL players Jeff Dewsnup and Zach Booth with both be with the US U17s.

David Kerr and Pl@ymaker repped this.