News: 2020 Season and Virus Talk

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by nbrooks503, Jun 30, 2019.

1. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, I just do not know how someone in our marketing department didn't raise their hand at the business team meeting last week and be bold enough to mention what an investment in a Chich would do from the business angle, the marketing angle.
    Correctomundo!
    It's like our FO was that kid at his first ever school dance there in 7th Grade, he asked the attractive girl to dance and it didn't work out for him.
    So he now resides on the sideline, leaning against the wall, shy and full of mistrust to ask any other girl to dance for fear of repeat hurt feelings.

2. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    What's even worse is the amount of fans we could have created across the country and Mexico. It would have put eyes and attention on the Dynamo and many of those people could have easily become lifelong Dynamo fans.

TX Bill and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

they were all too busy arguing with @nbrooks503 on twitter and devising ways to prevent opt-outs in July rather than actually growing the business

TX Bill, CeltTexan and nbrooks503 repped this.
  4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Jordan just spend time over the weekend memorizing a press release about all of our offseason activity so he could use that as an answer to the question if we were looking at more acquisitions? He finally said something at the end but did he need the lengthy run-up?

he says almost nothing of value at all - ever

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a good thread. Some guy named Jacob Young must be buddies with someone in the FO to defend the team that hard

6. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    He's on the RGVFC Down in the Valley Podcast, which has the overlap with GenOrange, so usual suspects.

7. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I must have said this like a dozen times in the past month (feels that way anyway). However, I absolutely do not understand anyone who thinks this is going to be a great team and that the Dynamo did a fantastic job during the offseason.

I mean, I can understand being so in love with the team that you are going to stick with supporting them through thick and thin, but to not at all be objective and not only think they are going to be fantastic but to verbally attack those who don't think it is going to be a good team. Oy vey.

There's also the bit where people seem to think Tab Ramos will be a savior. And hopefully he turns out to be a great coach, but that is a lot to put on a guy that is preparing for his first season as a coach of an adult professional soccer team. It is dramatically different from coaching a youth national team.

ElNaranja, nbrooks503, *rey* and 2 others repped this.
  8. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I mean, the tweet above is even more insane because it's somehow trying to make the argument that the ownership group isn't cheap (or in nice terms is low-spending) apparently? That's a completely indefensible take to the extent that you don't even see the Kool Aid folks go there. They'll usually just argue at length about how you don't need to spend to compete.

9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think you are capturing the sentiment about spot on. Excited about Ramos but to imply or argue that the team has spent or done enough compared to to other MLS teams is ludicrous. It’s saying the roster was already good enough and Ramos puts it over the top.

10. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot about GenLoser Radio. The below tweet referring people to Circle of Suck guy says it all. I did just check and their last episode was almost 2 hours which has to be some sort of production made for audio torture at Guantanamo or something.

*rey* repped this.
  11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this guy - BTW, what do the Dynamo do if they sell Elis or Manotas in the next few weeks (depending on transfer windows into other leagues)? Are they going to try and sell not replacing them as some sort of upgrade or claim they replaced them with Ramirez and Quintero?

http://mobile.twitter.com/DynamoTrump/status/1219378704582881282

12. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    hahaha. No mames Westside. You can’t quote your own twitter account.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I had thought of it first

14. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Something tells me he isn’t going to admit he was wrong (again, not like he can, so why pretend?)

15. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1490 nbrooks503, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    View attachment 167405 View attachment 167404
    I'm waiting til Wednesday for the tickets to the season opener to go on sale. I figure I'll go ahead and see if the walk up price for my seat is actually 35% more than the price I would have paid had I renewed. Then I'll see if he blocks me for asking.

That would be actually pretty funny, and would shed some light on their average 35% savings claim.

loyalty.png

16. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the Dynamo team is “pleased” with their acquisitions while the real soccer teams are ecstatic with the players they brought in this off season.

17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just can't stop laughing at this - I'm thinking this guy is tweeting these things just to be a wiseguy in an argument. You can't seriously believe this has been a great offseason by the FO unless every single move turns out to be a home run

18. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yeah, this is delusional and/or someone who doesn't understand league funding mechanisms. This is one of/arguably the worst off-season (it's more or less the 15/16 winter window, but worse because that at least was a bunch of swings and misses versus essentially sitting on your hands). I mean, did they spend money besides the keeper for the transfer fee? Maric couldn't have been more than low-mid six figures, which is peanuts next to the teams around us breaking transfer records with fees that are probably 10+ times more than Maric commanded.

I'm talking money out of their own pockets, not league funny money that's use it or lose it.

If you want to talk about a season they cared point to the 16/17 winter window. I'll even take '18/'19 window because they did break-out the pocket book and buy guys on loan, re-signed Manotas for a big salary and marginally upped spending to get us out of lowest payroll in the league.

It's clear that they're in cost-cutting mode this off-season because Elis and Manotas' transfers were both bungled and that's probably what they were counting on to finance any new signings.

Again, I circle around to Jordan here because I think he screwed up the sequencing and so we were probably left sitting at/near the cap post-Quintero and have zero funds to pursue anyone even if we weren't.

If anything I think this offseason has really driven home how badly we're outpaced relative to the rest of the league. I'll predict that it's going to get worse from here because the playing field is just going to continue to open up unless Hunt and his cheapskate owner group somehow stall the league's spending increases.

19. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, who's going downtown to the Fan Fest this Saturday?
    Did y'all download your free ticket yet?!?

https://www.houstondynamo.com/fanfest

Fan Fest Activities Includes:
    Dynamo Charities Fire Sale
    Get access to game-used and special team merchandise not available anywhere else. All proceeds go to Dynamo Charities.
    Houston Dynamo Open Practice
    Watch new head coach Tab Ramos put the Dynamo players through practice as they prepare for the 2020 season.

Dynamo Players in Attendance
    After practice get up-close and personal with Dynamo players.

Photos with Championship Trophies
    The 2006 and 2007 MLS Cup Trophies, 2011 and 2012 Eastern Conference Championship Trophies and 2018 US Open Cup Trophy for you to take pictures with.

Family-Friendly Activities
    Let the kids try their skills with entertaining interactions and games all throughout the concourse and get your photos taken with Diesel.
    Dynamo Team Store Deals
    Get 50% off all black jerseys and 40% off select items in the team store.
    Dynamo Members Benefits:
    (Check your weekly Member News e-mail for your Members ticket to Fan Fest)

Member Box Pick Up
    Members can pick up their Membership Box which includes exclusive items and member credentials.
    Early Access
    Members will get early access to the 2020 Fan Fest as well as to the Dynamo Charities Fire Sale.

Ethos repped this.
  20. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    I predict at least one Spoon in the next 3 years. No higher than 9th.

DynamoManiac repped this.
  21. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enjoy:
    https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/fo...in-on-unprecedented-shift-of-interest-in-mls/

For Darwin Quintero, that shift in perspective is evident every time he steps on the pitch.

The Colombian forward left Club América after four seasons to join Minnesota United in 2018 before he was traded to the Houston Dynamo for the 2020 season. In less than a decade, he said that he’s seen a steep change in the style and quality of MLS play.

“From the outside looking in, when I would come here when I played in Mexico, I definitely felt how physical the league was,” Quintero said through a translator. “I had two games where it just felt like they would just constantly tackle me. And you just had the understanding that this was a physical league. Now it’s evolved. You see everyone wanting to play more on the ground. If we want this league to be one of the top in the region, that’s how you get there.”

“Not only do Liga MX players choose MLS, but also players around the world,” Zelarayán said. “MLS is a league that is growing a lot. There are other players that are also doing things right that are having success here and they make this league attractive.”

MLS has often struggled to ignore comparisons to other leagues. As more Mexican fans and Latino players continue to turn their attention to the league, players expect the rivalry between the neighboring leagues to heat up.

Unlike in past years when Mexican club teams were viewed more favorably, Quintero said the atmosphere of MLS is beginning to become comparable to Liga MX due to the quality of facilities and lifestyle it offers to its players.

“There’s always a rivalry,” Quintero said. “For me, I think that the passion and how people live the game is a little bit different in Mexico in terms that it’s more day to day. That’s something you feel going into the game. But when you look at the infrastructure in other parts of the game here in the U.S., the U.S. is steps above what you will find anywhere else in North America.”

Ethos repped this.
  22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the presale is open on the team website. Prices are sort of all over the place - no club seats are for sale except field seats - based on the game day and opponent. They’ve actually jacked up some single game prices to the point that outside of the two LA teams I can’t see many buying tickets at those prices

23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One day on and these GenLoser guys are already on their knees and unzipping Ramos’ pants. I think Tab brings some excitement and probably better coaching and organization than Wilmer but I think you can stop the process of him being knighted like Sir Alex after one day of training

24. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.houstondynamo.com/post/...mo-staff-prep-preseason-academy-u17-u19-teams

As an old coach, this is good talk coming from our new profe!!!

“The most important aspect for them is that they gather hear me letting them know that if they do well they have every opportunity to go to the First Team but it has to be earned, nothing will be given,” Ramos said. “We could end up with ten youth players on the first team this year, or it could be zero, but that’s all up to them.”

25. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'm beyond jaded on how the Dynamo have treated youth players for the past 5 seasons, so I'll just say that I believe it when I see it. Otherwise my expectation until proven wrong is that they'll go rot on a bench in Edinburg.