News: 2020 Season and Virus Talk

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by nbrooks503, Jun 30, 2019.

1. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we all know the type you speak of Westie! Hahaha!!!
    Cowardly Lion - It Takes Courage.jpg

2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, you are talking to a guy known as Legendary Internet Hardman Westside Cosmo

3. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yeah, but the difference is Widder is smart/professional enough to keep a low profile. You didn't see her jump on twitter and start arguing that she's being misrepresented or that Nigel "has an ax to grind."

With these things you either need to take a lesson from your boss and fly under the radar, or else get Jordan/Walker to teach you how to interact. Say what you want about their processes, but those two at least have an understanding of how representatives of a business should communicate and aren't going to get drawn into petty arguments with fans on twitter.

I don't think the Dynamo are an organization that has a proactive social media monitoring process in place, so you're probably left alone until someone from outside the organization lodges a complaint and then you find yourself called in to and told to knock it off/be sacked depending on the nature of the comments you make.

He also has the "opinions are my own" by-line in his twitter profile, so I'm guessing he subscribes to the Ricky Bobby "with all due respect" line of thinking:

4. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of Bodyarmor and Lil' Pea...

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/mls-bodyarmor-announce-partnership-with-support-from-kobe-bryant/

https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-...-joining-la-galaxy-would-be-beautiful-for-mls

"Bryant also said he thinks the signing of Hernandez highlights that MLS should no longer be seen a retirement home for top stars from European leagues, adding: "When the league first started, we [MLS] were looking at bringing stars that were at the end of their careers.

"Now you are looking at MLS going and bringing stars in their prime. That changes the game drastically."

Soccer was one of the first sports that Bryant played. He was introduced to soccer as a child when his father played basketball in Italy, and he grew up as an A.C. Milan fan.

Bryant isn’t the first NBA star to become interested in MLS and the sport of soccer as a whole. NBA players such as Luka Doncic travel to games in America and abroad, and the two sports have seen increasing overlap between fan bases and players alike.

To Bryant, this comes from a shared style of play in the two sports.

“It’s the connectivity in the sport itself,” Bryant said. “You have to use each other, you have to communicate with each other verbally and through the ball. You have to read each other, open space for each other. There’s a lot of similarities between basketball and soccer.”

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Walker and Jordan never say anything of substance publicly, even when their lips are moving and noises are coming out of their mouths. I don’t even bother to listen to Jordan interviews because he gives annoying non-answers.

This organization has had a very odd vibe at times, like an us vs. them mentality against their own fanbase.

6. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rey, our club's latest marketing slogan for Season 25th just got sent to me today!

"Houston Dynamo home games in 2020, one of the few places you can go to enjoy yourself without having a good time!"

Borrachin, renegade_seagull and *rey* repped this.
  7. nate19

nate19 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #1457 nate19, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    "The Houston Dynamo organization has removed fun from the matchday experience because we know all fans are different, and we want you to have flexibility in determining your benefits package. Members can customize their experience, such as infusing fun into Dynamo matchdays, by redeeming Orange Rewards."

8. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Keeper we drafted is apparently drawing interest overseas, so that's a thing. Currently training with a Premier League Club and has interest from Scotland and England.

Both Maric and this guy expected to miss the start of preseason.

Again this is from Lester, so some amount of Jordan PR might be baked in.

On the other hand, immediately losing a draftpick who signs overseas would be about par for the course for Matt Jordan in the draft. I guess we'd have dibs if he flopped and decided to come back three/four years down the road though.

9. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or can be this “Come and watch all the great players on other teams kick our ass!”

CeltTexan repped this.
  10. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Cheech to Galaxy done according to Grant Wahl, so guess that's a sell out for the Dynamo for the opener. How long will it take them to remove all single game tickets from sale for that game and turn them into 3 or 4 game bundles?

Also can't wait for all the marketing that features a player from the other team.

MLSNHTOWN and *rey* repped this.
  12. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have some 4 pack and 10 pack that includes the LAG opener, Dash opener (free) and then 3 or 9 more Dynamo games.

Gonna laugh when I see all the dynamic priced “premium” games are all teams with expensive DPs - Brener figured out a way to make even more money off of the owners who actually spend, even if 50% of the crowd isn’t there to cheer the Dynamo

CeltTexan and *rey* repped this.
  13. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That's one way to fill the stadium.

I see this Tyler Miller trade happening and have to wonder why we weren't involved in those discussions versus the panic buy situation. Maybe we already mortgaged all of our TAM/GAM.

Orlando's linked with the Peruvian national team keepr.

*rey* and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Peter Vermes in the Athletic - it’s nauseating to think about the Dynamo’s ownership and their quest to merely exist as a cash flow business rather than thinking about strategy and vision in terms of use of TAM and DPs. We use them just to lower cash costs (and use league TAM only, not owner-funded TAM) rather than to build a club

“People miss this, but TAM by itself, if you had zero DPs on teams, and went to TAM, it has no impact on the league,” Vermes said. “But TAM with DPs on teams has a huge impact. There was a time when there were a lot of teams that had DPs and they didn’t win a championship at the end of the year. There was criticism: they spend all this money and they’re not guaranteed to win. … When the TAM opportunities came, what it did was it gave those very good DP players a much better supporting cast. And it made them that much more valuable and productive within their teams. And that’s why you’re seeing now the teams that have good DPs are winning as well. Because that quality has risen.

“We have to continue to progress, we have to continue to progress in the area of being able to compete around the world in the recruitment and acquisition of players. You have to continue to inject more – whether it’s cash, whether it is player mechanisms, I don’t care what it’s called. Just continue to put yourself in a position where you can compete in the global market.”

TX Bill repped this.
  15. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This organization is pathetic if they think selling tickets because of Chicharito is a good thing

1218243386290921472 is not a valid tweet id

16. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    I mean it is objectively a good thing. More money is never a bad thing. The bad part is their inability to keep people coming back because of how they manage the team on and off the field. People see through tha .

17. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I mean, he ain't wrong. The issue is that they don't really have a great track record of converting these guys to Dynamo fans.

I'm skeptical that you are going to get fans who show-up and watch a team that is irrelevant to the league, but you know, maybe the next logical step for the Dynamo is to stop marketing as a "Houston team" and start marketing to the other teams and players.

Maybe we'll take a page out of Dallas' books and have Chicharito jerseys for sale in the stadium.

18. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When the game ends at 4:30 on 2/29 the next time 50% of the crowd will think about going to a Dynamo game is when LAFC comes in and the 2021 Galaxy game.

Not to mention the ability or capability of the Dynamo and BBVA Stadium staff to actually be able to adequately handle a sellout crowd - maybe not a great first impression

19. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    If we really want to be like them we'd have Chich wigs as giveaways.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may not like it but it’s the truth. #ForeverDelusional

21. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    I'm ********ing pissed about this still. How in the actual ******** were we not even in the discussion! Like we don't have a massive Mexican fanbase here. I mean surely ownership can see that this investment would pay massive rewards.

Just be in the bidding, that is what I'm down to at this point.

Dynamo_Forever and CeltTexan repped this.
  22. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    After Cubo, which was more their fault than anyone else's, they're a bit gunshy.

23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This seems quite optimistic. I mean I can't recall more than a handful of games when the Dynamo actually had large crowds at BBVA where I was able to get a real good price reselling my seats. The last few years I had tickets you just wanted to get your money back on any tickets I had to sell.

I don't doubt it will be a sellout - the opener usually was until Brener took over.

24. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    #1474 Varus, Jan 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020

Looks like joint RGVFC-Dynamo preseason. There's a ton of guys in this video that I don't know. Also looks like maybe a handful of academy players.

I see:

1.) Memo
    2.) Luka Prpa? ('20 draft pick)
    3.) Kyle Adams (RGVFC, but was out of contract)
    4.) Garrett McLaughlin ('20 draft pick)
    5.) Andrew Samuels ('19 draft pick/RGVFC)
    6.) Isidro Martinez (RGVFC)
    7.) Zero clue
    8.) Nico Lemoine (RGVFC)
    9.) Fuenmayor
    10.) Timo Mehlich? (RGVFC)
    11.) Taiberson (RGVFC)
    12.) Robert Coronado? (RGVFC)
    13.) Bizama
    14.) Lundkvist
    15.) Zero clue
    16.) McCue
    17.) Hansen
    18.) Junqua
    19.) Ramirez
    20.) Palomino
    21.) Manotas
    22.) Figueroa
    23.) McNamara
    24.) Salazar
    25.) Elis
    26.) Boniek
    27.) Vera
    28.) Martinez
    29.) Struna

Definitely didn't see Quintero (they're showing pictures of him though) or either of the new keepers there (draft pick or Maric). Pretty sure Ceren wasn't there.

Also didn't see Pena, Valentin, Nelson but I'd probably struggle to pick them out of a line-up

25. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Yeah, I think this pretty much translates into the Dynamo being set, no further off-season moves to be expected outside of draft-pick and maybe an academy signing or two (they're still short a keeper and have to find someone to fill that spot).