News: 2020 Season and Virus Talk

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by nbrooks503, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yeah, I really don't understand why he is even having these conversations. I mean, he isn't suddenly going to drop internal sales figures (he immediately bowed out of the last confrontation when asked to do so, just bowed out of this one and yeah, I'm sure he isn't allowed to), and he just comes across as petty (NO YOU GIVE ME FACTS AND FIGURES!), which of course makes the organization as a whole look petty.

There's absolutely zero to be gained out of these interactions, and to his credit I guess he belatedly realizes it, but not until he and the Dynamo by extension look like asses. The absolutely bewildering thing is he's tried to mix-it up twice. I don't know how he came away from the first interaction and thought "Yeah, I'll stick my face into the woodchipper again."

I mean maybe everyone is stunned and they really are turning the attendance ship around (doubt it, although Chicharito on opening day probably gave the sales team an erection), but even then you'd be better off letting the pictures and attendance do the talking for you.

I'm again mystified that no one higher up in the organization has shut him down (I'm guessing they're ignorant of it) because lordy.

2. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'm sure the sales team is psyched that there's a thread at the top of the Dynamo subreddit reminding people to cancel their auto-renewals.

nbrooks503 repped this.
  3. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe my stock with the Dynamo has sunk this low. From This To Blocked :devilish: FOTY.jpg

4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wanna get a drink at the Roosevelt Lounge with Tyler Deric? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

CeltTexan, Borrachin and nbrooks503 repped this.
  5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh boy, now we got some sort of dynamic pricing scheme for "premium" games. By "premium" do they mean "featuring at least 5 members of the Honduran National Team"?

+Single-game tickets for all 2020 home games will go on sale Wednesday, Jan. 22 at 10 a.m. CST at HoustonDynamo.com/Tickets and BBVAStadium.com on a first-come, first-served basis. New this season, the Dynamo have utilized variable pricing for their home schedule, which features four “premium” matches and five “value” matches."

http://www.houstondynamo.com/promotions

And more for all of you who paid for full season tickets: "For 14 matches this season, 40 percent of the inventory inside BBVA Stadium will be priced at $32 or less for single-game tickets. This is a departure from last season, in which no regular-price single game tickets were available for less than $30." My guess this is one of those accurate yet misleading statements, I gotta say $30 still seems high for this squad

6. nbrooks503

Jun 1, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what most of the EPL and lower division teams have done for years. I'll assume that the "premium" matches will be the ones with visiting teams who have crowd drawing DPs.

I wonder if those will be subject to an increase in the amount the club has to kick back to the league

7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Part of me wondered if by doing that variable pricing scheme that it makes it impossible for STHs to figure out that they aren't really getting a discount by making the math all goofy with adjustments for "premium" games.

8. nbrooks503

Jun 1, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1433 nbrooks503, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    I'm interested to see when the single seat pricing is published next week. My seat for 2019 was $97. For 2020 it would have been $123 at the 5yr+ tier. The seat actually went for $105 or $109 walk up price depending on the opponent in 2019.

I can't believe it would be around $180 walk up price in 2020 which would reflect the price needed to make the $123 an average 35% savings.

But it doesn't look like I'll be able to ask Jay for an explanation :)

Westside Cosmo and houhen repped this.
  9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that 35% average claimed savings - if even legit, not like they have to show their math - was calculated by taking things like the lower level seats they made supporters seats that are probably 50% off and averaging that with seats like yours that are like 2% off. Not dollar value-weighted.

Their inability/unwillingness to show their work and communicate with a long-term club seat holder tells me they have limited respect for their customers and flat can't support their claims.

TX Bill repped this.
  10. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, I can't help but notice this week while other teams are spending on transfer fees and DPs the Dynamo FO is churning out a series of announcements about sponsors and bobbleheads and manufactured supporters' alliances to distract from their own lack of action on improving the roster.

And lets face it, they probably are shopping Elis and Manotas and if they don't sell Elis in this window and he leaves on a free transfer instead of re-signing with the club then its really a misfire

11. nbrooks503

Jun 1, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe they have any respect for the long term customers. They're going after the woke hip-hop generation.

It's a pity, because they really don't understand anything about the game.

12. nbrooks503

Jun 1, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's an idiot.

I know I'm an a$$hole, but I'm retired and don't GAS. No one can do anything about what I say or cause me harm because the only person I'm accountable to is Mrs Brooks.

The kind of crap he's engaging in can bite him in the a$$ if someone took exception and complained. Its just foolhardy.

Ethos repped this.
  13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, his last tweet at you was only liked by one person as of 10:00 - WebTilton. So that says something right there

I'd say if season tickets were selling like hotcakes for the Dynamo and Dash he probably wouldn't have the time or inclination to battle with you on twitter like a defense attorney

14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can certainly understand wanting to attract that crowd and demographic and look at trends and data. But I also recognize that most of the FO leadership in key positions came from the NBA and in markets very different than Houston in many ways. Some historical knowledge of this market would help.

I think they went out to LAFC and felt they could replicate that environment and ticket sales in Houston without adjusting for the market, quality of stadium (LAFC's is nicer than BBVA) and talent on the field.

Here's my analogy - they took the blueprints of something designed for the metric system, crossed out the units of measure, and told someone to build it by changing all of the meters and centimeters to yards and inches without conversion. It may be proportional to some degree but not gonna work as well.

Borrachin repped this.
  15. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still had my season tickets back then! Well if it makes you feel better, your stock has come down because you care about the team and the solution to fix it is so obvious. Only idiots can see what is happening around the league and think hey we got a shot at winning a championship. It is not going to happen. I hope more people react like you and I and stop spending our hard earned money on this team until they lose so much money that they decide to sell and a passionate owner buys the team and invest in it all while also making a lot of money.

TX Bill, CeltTexan, Ethos and 4 others repped this.
  16. nate19

nate19 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Someone recently posted a Twitter convo between the famed sales guy and Dynamo fans about season ticket sales. I'm paraphrasing, but the gist was people wrote that season ticket sales must be down, and the well-known salesperson's retort was those comments were incorrect and demand was in fact incredibly high.

I didn't renew my season tickets a few years ago. Market changes impacting the industry in which I'm employed entirely drove the decision, but reduced enjoyment from continued poor on-field play coupled with my perception that ownership wouldn't resolve those issues and the aggressive anti-fan tone from Dynamo office staff at the time made the decision to drop easier.

Every offseason, Dynamo sales reps call and ask about renewal. Usually, I politely decline. Two days ago, I got the call and the salesperson, clearly motivated to hone his selling skills, started the pitch even after I declined. When he finished, I asked why they waste time on former ticket holders if demand was so great? He said he's calling former season ticket holders because there are open seats. I then asked if he called former season ticket-holders often? He said yes.

Interpret what you will from the exchange. My guess is there's a fair amount of open stadium real estate.

That was the third sales call I've received this offseason.

17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You better not go on twitter and post this or Jay Adelberg may challenge you to come down to the MetroRail stop in front of the stadium and have a duel or something.

I think they did mine pretty deep into the former season ticket holder list this offseason, received a few calls for first time in a few years. Now, that’s actually a good business practice but it goes against the notion that season ticket sales are gangbusters and we will all be shut out if we don’t act now.

18. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    They've put in place a lot of things this season that make this feel more like an NFL or MLB team in terms of how it is run off-the-field. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but one of the few attractive features of the Dynamo (and maybe MLS in general) is it hasn't in the past felt like a big impersonal sports franchise. When you start imitating the Texans or Astros or Cavaliers or whatever, you lose that.

I've been contacted by sales people this off-season as well. Which is a good thing, that wasn't happening before. But somewhere between the complete shitshow that Canetti ran and this new more professional but impersonal business approach is the right place to be.

19. nate19

nate19 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Sales champ seemingly hurt his long-running argument that ticket demand is high with the comments a few days ago that attendance is sparse for select matches due to short sales time. Dynamo teams of yesteryear had short-turnaround matches, and I recall the stadium being near full. My take is they can't fill those seats because, unfortunately, fewer people are currently interested in the product.

On a side note, I can't fathom how Dynamo management approves of the aggressive fan approach some sales folks take. I'm not inclined to want to give money to people who proactively belittle me. Then again, some Dynamo supporters appear to back him, so I guess it's acceptable in wider circles.

*rey* repped this.
  20. nbrooks503

Jun 1, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Im on the "Do Not Call This Guy's An A$$hole" list.

One of the reasons I did not renew was because of my interaction with sales. When they introduced new pricing and loyalty levels I had very specific questions about the scheme, the published 35% savings, etc. I put those questions in writing via email and the responses I received were "lets schedule a call to discuss". Well I don't do it that way - If I put something in writing I'm old school and believe it deserves a written response.

As time went on and no written answers came I again asked the ticket rep for answers in an email. I was flat out lied to about published tier level pricing being told there were no published pricing for my level but if I was interested in another section to call and I'd be given my price.

After one exchange the ticket rep screwed up and apparently cc'd me on an email I wasn't supposed to receive. It was a forward of some questions I had about the club level, and the forward to a supervisor basically said "do you want to jump in on this, I've tried to call but he refuses to answer and I've answered all of the questions previously". Well that was in fact not true - I had no definitive answers to my questions, just generalities and stuff that evaded (we anticipate increased attendance and in fact expect the club section to be completely sold out this coming season).

Prior to this, I had never had any problems dealing with the organization and had very little interaction with ticket sales, renewing every year since 2008. But this new regime is totally different.

After the initial home opener in which they will be selling like crazy because the Galaxy will have one of the most name recognized Mexican players, I suspect that the truth about attendance in the stadium will be quickly revealed.

In September of last year I was told by Walker that season ticket renewals were at around 80%. While that might be considered good, you have to take into account the massive decline in season ticket renewals since the stadium opened in 2012 - from around 12 thousand to between 6 and 7 thousand in 2019.

If we factor in the imposed deadline of August 31 to renew or lose tier status, a 20 percent reduction from between 6 or 7 thousand is pretty significant.

In spite of being dismissed as having an axe to grind, being a hater, being a toxic fan, or simply being fairweather and not the kind of fan the organization is looking for, I am in fact deeply committed to the sport and dismayed at what they have done and failed to do to the team.

Borrachin repped this.
  21. renegade_seagull

renegade_seagull New Member

Aug 5, 2019
    I dropped my season tickets after the 2017 season when I was told that they were raising prices for the third straight year. I told my 4th ticket rep of the season that I was no longer willing to spend any more money on the team until the owners showed that they would spend theirs. I hadn't heard a word from them till about a month age when I started getting weekly calls and emails from rep that was so desperate to make a sell that he gave me his personal number. The worst part about all of this is they have sucked the fun out of being a fan, I went to two games last year and the experience was absolutely depressing.

Borrachin and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  22. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    fixed your post. :D

at this point, i go to see my friends and get white girl wasted. you have to find a way to make your own fun.

23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was definitely some sort of blitz in December to old STHs. Like every 3 days a contact for a few weeks. Maybe to give us all a last chance to get in before the stadium is sold out for every game!!!!! Don’t get shut out!!!!!!

Borrachin and Danwoods repped this.
  24. slycat

slycat Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    [​IMG]

*rey* repped this.
  25. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dynamo chief revenue officer was on a sports industry sales seminar video calling season ticket holders who don’t renew timely as “holding the team hostage” and promoting a pricing scheme that relies upon folks not knowing exactly what others paid for their season tickets. That’s who you are dealing with over there.

The only Dynamo supporters who back Circle of Suck sales guy are the same small group of FO knobschlobbers and supporters who want to be “in” with the FO.