News: 2020 Season and Virus Talk

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by nbrooks503, Jun 30, 2019.

1. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the economy churning as it is for these past several years, get in on some other businesses that are in energy and or land development here in Texas! Do not worry about cutting our Dynamo Girls cuz their annual cost is "too high".

There is what I have always heard in pro sports, these teams are high end toys to these billionaires. Like what they and they alone can brag about around the country club locker room and diner.

Minor league baseball and the like. But the Major League type teams have TV money and a much for robust merchandising market to tap into.

Correct. Houston is the best city, in the best State of the best nation on our planet. Can we get an AMEN from our owners on just how Houston can be a Tier 1 club in the booming sceen that is MLS!

Thing is, FIFA has to approve such a shift.

2. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    So does Nigel retiring from season tickethood mean he is also retiring from taking pictures at the annual media game?

4. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be in Tucson at a reunion of former Jack Booted Government Thugs.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nbrooks503 repped this.
  6. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    Some Dynamo fan alter group is reporting Dynamo may be interested in Juan Quintero of Colombia and River Plate for attacking midfield.

My Colombian sources say that Chicago has actually have an offer to him.

Too bad we don’t try to get him as a #10 so we can kick worthless Martinez to the curb.

7. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    He's way outside our price range.

To be honest, I'd be thrilled if Tab could do something like convince Palomino to come back.

Is Andrew Carleton still in the doghouse in Atlanta? Maybe we could get him.

*rey* repped this.
  8. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a total cynic, I question a supporters "group" that only recently showed up and appears to be selling memberships at different price levels but don't appear to have any connection to the club.

Seems like some kind of money making project

9. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    Well, in answer to thier question, I support the Dynamo and only the Dynamo. While I hope RGV does well, I don't and won't live and die by them. Now, as is well known to you all here, I could care less about the Dash and they seem intent on being at their games too. Now, if I say that on Twitter we all know how I'll be flamed. Dynamo Twitter is all about that fake Dash passion.

So, if I join I'll be expected to go to all Dynamo/Dash events and my constant absence from one would eventually draw speculation. Just easier not to join.

CeltTexan, Westside Cosmo and Dynam0 repped this.
  10. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    I never felt pressured to support anything other than the Dynamo while I was with the SG. Granted that was well before this membership but I don't see either of the current groups pressuring anything other than supporting the Dynamo.

Encourage support for Toros or Dash? Sure. Not a requirement though.

11. Ethos

Ethos Member+

Houston Dynamo
    Apr 28, 2019
    Houston
    I just get the vibe that it would be a thing with this group. They've been all over Twitter. But I don't actually know.

12. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    If it was, they'd be the first Dynamo supporters group to care about the Dash or Toros. None of the other supporters groups show up for the Dash, we have our own supporters group: Bayou City Republic.

CeltTexan and ElNaranja repped this.
  13. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Then don't join The Surge. Join EB or TA, whichever you prefer.

Or don't join any and do your own thing in another section. Whatever floats your boat, amigo

Ethos and DynamoManiac repped this.
  14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The seem like hustlers probably backed by someone in the FO who gets a cut of it. I dunno, seems like we didn’t need another supporters group but since the business strategy is to have 47 of them then why not i guess.

They are relentless, like WebTilton hyped up on speed

Dynam0 repped this.
  16. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://mobile.twitter.com/samstejskal/status/1189572750744178688

“The days of clubs with the more frugal profiles of Salt Lake and Kansas City, Colorado and Dallas or New England and Houston meeting in the final are pretty much done. The MLS elite will likely solidify their position relative to the pack. The rest of the league will either have to start spending at their level or risk falling further behind.”

17. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #893 CeltTexan, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019

On the Front Office of ours inventing this Surge outfit, any Front Office driven supporters group goes 100% against the spirit of what makes pro association football different than say pro basketball in our nation. There is a level of organically motivated and planed devotion from the streets, from the people of a soccer club that cannot be bottled and then taken down from a shelf when a Front Office desires. Like what the NBA has tried to conjure up in recent years, copying what MLS and the world has demonstrated in organized supporter groups at games, the NBA perhaps has the correct intention but then limits or oddly places expectations on such fans. Again, the ol' "do this, or else" shtick that we came to endure from our very own FO.
    Example, our city's Rockets literally called our FO up in the Winter of 2007 and asked "What is going on with that drum section at your games" as former Rockets Head Coach Jeff Van Gundy wanted to go long on getting the Rockets FO to create the Red Rowdies. Thus, the Rockets FO offered free season tickets to any and all Rockets fans as long as they showed to each and every home game. This was the prerequisite. Skip a home game and you are out of the fan club. Sound familiar?

Correct. Noticed them over in the South end line area at BBVA.
    A supporters group for the Dash that does not show up to support our Dynamo right?

18. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Most of them go to Dynamo games, just not as an official SG.

19. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #895 CeltTexan, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    That's the Spirit!
    Grig.png

20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Walker was on Glenns radio show last night (they have a podcast up of just the Walker segment). The usual say nothing stuff - enhancing the supporters group experience, giving the rest of the crowd the “tools” to support the supporters (??), how great LAFC atmosphere is (maybe have something to do with top end players on the pitch, eh?).

Money question was Glenn asking on the Tab Ramos hiring if any assurances were given to Ramos about investment and Walker responded (paraphrasing here) that they discussed player acquisitions and that they all agreed that it was more important to acquire the right players not the most expensive ones.

Translation: Dynamo still will be in bottom quarter of MLS roster spending.

nbrooks503 repped this.
  21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since most of those players he’s referring to aren’t good enough to lead Houston to MLS Cup, I hope half of them aren’t on the roster next year.

Without a significant infusion of investment, these thoughts are starting to be proven to be delusional. Could the Dynamo as currently configured make MLS Cup? Sure, with an extremely low percentage of likelihood.

http://mobile.twitter.com/webtilton/status/1193628560126283781

22. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Word is Dynamo dealing a truckload of TAM for the rights to Darwin Quintero. Would have liked that better 2 years ago, but I'd take it. How impactful it is, obviously, depends on whether Manotas and Elis are going out the door or not.

*rey* repped this.
  23. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    He'd be an upgrade over Thomas...not sure its enough to justify expenses in comparison though.

*rey* repped this.
  24. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Signing someone who was good two years ago is on-brand for the Dynamo as an organization.

The last reporting on Manotas made me think he will almost certainly be gone in January to Russia, not sure if not.

I will say that the frontline in the 4-3-3 seems likely to be both older and slower in 2019, particularly if they manage to offload Elis.

ElNaranja, *rey* and Westside Cosmo repped this.