News: 2020 Season and Virus Talk

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by nbrooks503, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about this one? Now, spoiling LAG is as good as the USOC win to him and others!! Before you know it, they'll be willing to sell back the 2006 & 2007 cups to prevent Atlanta from something.

2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw this on Facebook in the Vancouver post-game thread. Thought it was a good synopsis of much of the fanbase:

"Manolo Guti We can talk all we want about the BS penalty, but we didn't score enough goals. As a supporter that has literally sold his blood to make enough money whilst in college just to follow this team to the other side of the continent, this doesn't feel like fun anymore. Supporting this club feels like work...work that I and many other supporters have to pay to do. Marketing is trying to make moves that they think will make the culture and support grow, but bringing outsiders in that care little about this club and city will bare little fruit and it marginalizes those that have stood by this club in this last heart braking decade. We're tired. We're tired of a supporting a club that doesn't seem to care, players that for the most part only seem to be here to collect a check...and who could blame them? When we have an ownership group that shows no interest in moving this club forward....no aspiration in being successful. I'm weary. El Batallón is weary. Do something, because this club is dying and we've been trying to keep it alive so future generations have something to be proud of...but it all seems futile."

CeltTexan and Dynam0 repped this.
  3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently this SoccerPat guy isn't a fan of BigSoccer. I find all of this Dynamo vs. Dynamo fan stuff quite interesting. The pro-FO faction seems to have a connection to the FO, a media pass, a supporter group line of contact to the team, or an in with the Czar of the Circle of Suck - and all of them like to parrot the line about the team being "better than their record" or some other nonsense.

Here is the harsh reality - since the beginning of the 2014 season (Dom's last) this is the Dynamo's MLS regular season record:

62 wins - 87 losses - 51 ties

Thats a win rate of 31%. Since the beginning of the 2018 season the win rate is 20 of 64 games or 31%.

This isn't "done wrong by the refs" or "deserved better" this is what the Dynamo have become, a bottom quarter MLS club due to lack of investment and poor management.

4. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #804 nbrooks503, Sep 16, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    I actually met some of the criteria you mentioned, used to have what I thought was an in with the FO, photo media pass for 11 years, know some in both supporters groups.

But I'm not renewing because I refuse to enable the strategy of the organization.

It seems to me that if the organization was truly interested in retaining season ticket holders for 2020, it would have announced a plan to invest in and improve the team before the cut off date for renewals (Aug 1).

It didn't. The current plan is based on a supporters alliance. All I say is be careful what you wish for and take a look at the political BS coming out of Seattle supporters.

This is a f'ing sport - not a political forum.

Westside Cosmo and Dynam0 repped this.
  5. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Well Pat, come in here and defend your viewpoint with the big boys and girls.

CeltTexan, ElNaranja and nbrooks503 repped this.
  6. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come getcha some homeboy

Pat from SNL.jpg

Westside Cosmo, Dynamo_Forever and Ethos repped this.
  7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. nbrooks503

Jun 1, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the auto-debit for that section is the lowest so it's not too bad of a bite. Celt can probably provide more info - but I believe the majority in that section buy individual game tickets rather than an up front season ticket.

As for the article, its kind of sad because she fails to recognize that there are people out there who genuinely are concerned with the steady decline of this team, and have no other option left but to show their displeasure by withholding their custom. It comes across as being blame those disloyal fans for the decline.

9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ethos and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  10. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct.
    Well, this used to be the way of being in the hinchada, half would be season ticket holders and the other half, i.e. men and women that work day labor and the like, perhaps work weekends here and there, this half just purchased tickets at point of sell on game day. Then the draconian tactics of one Chris Canetti starting in 2012 in our new stadium flat out demanded that everyone purchase season tickets in the hinchada no excuses. Canetti told those that had at the Rob days just purchased on game day that they can now go stand in another section. Thus this split the hinchada choir into a lower bowl and upper bowl in those first years at BBVA when we were wedged down in the corner by our FO. Remember when us supporters were in that lower corner by the flag?
    We also encountered this "or else" type pressure from him and our ticketing staff with the wristband policy. No ticket inside the hinchada, no wristband, no entry for new comers or the like. So one cannot just "bring a friend" to experience the supporters way of taking in the sport. Which just train wrecked our old Robertson way of life in recruiting to fill our ranks. The sport sells itself and so does the fun in the North End.
    All this has had a negative effect on our numbers and it shows. Why these old Canetti hangover effects are still lingering under new management is a headache to say the least. Just last Saturday I had a new friend who goes with his family but wanted to at least attend one home game inside the hinchada. But I couldn't get a wristband for him even though his game day ticket was 2x the face value of our supporter section ticket. I really hope that looking forward to 2020 that these old policies are dropped like a bad habit!

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Web just gonna toe the company line until the end. Doesn't realize that Zlatan was responsible for probably 25% of the crowd today. We beat the celebrity teams so often we finished 19th in a 24 team league - but we beat LA!!! Love that Dionna Widder liked his tweet about not wanting any star players on the Dynamo - fits right into the ownership plan

12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danwoods repped this.
  13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found this today.
    Fits for how some of us feel on our FO and who they click like on tweets and favor for "new" fans.

"If you want to know who your oppressors are, find out who you're not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire

15. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #816 Westside Cosmo, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    I think it’s clear at this point that regardless of the FO’s claim of wanting feedback and comments from the fan base, they really are only interested in hearing from those who give them confirming feedback on their strategy.

Everyone else are nuisance whiners whose opinion they discredit at their own peril. The visuals of a two-thirds empty stadium should jar them but they don’t. Gonna keep running the wishbone on 3rd and 23

Just for perspective, they’ve damaged demand to the point where they’ve had to convert the 200 club seats to some sort of non-club area (no idea how they enforce it) that our boy Web is now moving to and compress the club seats down to the 100s + President Club. The 200 club section was specifically designed for premium seating and they had to effectively undo it.

Meanwhile, they relocate others to make way for supporters who can’t even fill a full section for the finale!!

16. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    I just got this from the Dynamo (underlines are mine):

Thank you for your support this season, through all the ups and the downs, and giving us a great home field advantage here at BBVA Stadium, to all the exclusive member events throughout the season, we hope you had just as many fun and exciting moments this year as we did!

Yesterday was a great way to cap off the season, from celebrating the retirement of LegenDMB to getting our 10th home win of the season and knocking off the Galaxy on Decision Day – again. We look forward to building off a strong finish to the season and carrying that on to 2020 and beyond!

Thank you again for your continued support and we look forward to seeing you at BBVA Stadium to cheer on the Dynamo in 2020!

Go Dynamo!

So, the highlight of the season is that we knocked down the LAG one spot? That's it? And a "strong" finish? That wasn't a strong finish... we were dead months ago. But I knew they are going to try to spin this... They should've written an apology letter instead.

I don't see any change coming... it's going to be more of the same. This just reinforces that my decision to "opt out" of my "membership" in July was the correct call.

They have a lot of work to do, but seem fixated on ignoring the obvious and have set sail in a direction that will lead to even more misery.

17. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately I must admit that this take is exactly what we are all witnessing.

18. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently the ambition of the club is do nothing other than attempt to spoil the Galaxy's season each year. So as long was we beat the Galaxy on "Decision Day" (or non-Decision Day for the Dynamo since we are usually eliminated from the playoffs by then), the season can be considered a success?

1180972628342956033 is not a valid tweet id

There won't be much meaningful change but the odds are the Dynamo will make the playoffs in 2020 simply because the odds of missing it 6 out of 7 years are pretty low due to the nature of the league and parity.

*rey* repped this.
  19. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Orlando City and Chicago Fire laugh at your assertion.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  20. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    the deal is that if you want feedback and to change things, you have to get out your checkbook, primary issue, get a good coach, up there as an issue (but we see with almeyda it won't fix it all), and then you need to be willing to speak with the sort of fan who WAS a STH but now has quit and has their hair on fire. if you can't talk to and then take action for them, you're not really trying to win back the old fans.

if you talk to current STH or SG people, you're talking to kool aid sorts who remain in the tent and will pull their punches, or may say mean things but still buy the tickets. you want the 7000 people who have quit the past few years.

to me it's PR, "I feel your pain." except if they want you to vibe with your own torturer that's stockholm syndrome, not meaningful adjustment.

21. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    part of the problem with "building off of" USOC or late season upsets is the team in general sucked, and it's the general pattern that puts you in the playoff hole. to me the worst possible scenario is you buy your own late season one-offs and keep too many players "because well we got better at the end of the season." yeah, a lot of teams at this point are either resting people for playoffs or smartly assessing their kids as opposed to fielding their regulars for another game. i am sure if you run out 10 starters plus deric you might win a game or two against teams half trying. only an idiot takes that seriously. only an idiot brings back a team for next year that in general couldn't cut it, got their coach fired, because we upset someone at the very end whose mind was probably elsewhere.

i think we fired cabrera for roughly the same ppg this season as got him extended in the usoc year the season before. that is how grasping for straws we are.

22. nbrooks503

Jun 1, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are not the least bit interested in talking to former season ticket holders.

They brought in this new management team to fix things and apparently bought their BS as how they intended to do it. Out with the old (long time season ticket holders) In with the new (millennials who will orgasm over the blazingly fast WiFi in the stadium.

This organization is down from around 12k season tickets to 6k for the 2019 season. the renewal rate for 2020 was around 80% as of the cut off date.

I'm no genius, but I would have though a good way to determine why so many dropped their season tickets would be to contact them via email (assuming they kept them) and ask them to fill out a simple poll which addressed the team, and perhaps the stadium.

Of course if you know that ownership has no intention of opening their wallets to improve player acquisitions you're not going to ask because you don't actually want the answers.

Here's my divorce letter to the Dynamo - I actually got a response a couple of days ago thanking me for my input and telling me they will continue to seek improvement in the team on and off the field. Didn't address any of my points or the polling. They can't because they know exactly what the problem is.

I'd be willing to bet these folks will have moved on in 18 months. I've kept the poll and will probably do it again around the same time next year.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iur6p4vvcg9c16m/LettertoDynamowithpolling.pdf?dl=0

Danwoods and CeltTexan repped this.
  23. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nigel--

I didn't realize you lived so close to me (yes--i read your letter). I genuinely want to buy you a beer (or four) when ever you free for such revelry. As a STH from the first second of this Orgs birthing, I'd like to say thank you for both your engagement and passion. I'd love to shoot the sh^t with you at your leisure.

PS

If this isn't your thing--I understand. Thank you

nbrooks503 repped this.
  24. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, this tactic of theirs is becoming more obvious day after day.