2020 player moves

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Oct 25, 2019.

1. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Still an amazing turnaround in a year thanks to a fantastic GM.

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    59Amerinorsk repped this.
  3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Massive amount of movement today from Seattle:

If, like me, this is the first time you've heard of "player elected leave", here's the legalese for it on the NWSL site:

59Amerinorsk, Blaze20 and blissett repped this.
  4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Houston also waiving two:

I'm guessing that at least Agnew (and maybe Jackmon too) are going overseas; the former would certainly fit the pattern of what the CSA is apparently encouraging its players to do.

5. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Despite what someone says on Twitter, if Weatherholt can regain her form next season, this could be a useful trade for Reign FC in my opinion.

59Amerinorsk and CoachJon repped this.
  6. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I agree. The way I look at is if Dani Weatherholt was in the 2021 draft she would be more than worth a late second round pick. Taking into account also that rookies are barely influential their first season, this was a smart move.
    Also with at least one expansion team joining next year, the Reign could still acquire some high draft picks by trading experienced players.

Ethan Frank, 59Amerinorsk and CoachJon repped this.
  7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    More moves from Houston: first use of allocation money to pay an official transfer fee (which was something spelled out in the initial release) as they get Erin Simon from West Ham United.

CoachJon repped this.
  10. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They traded Zerboni to Sky Blue for the rights to Mace , like two weeks ago.

11. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The figures for the allocation money that were a part of trades (Chicago amassing a good amount, which makes me wonder if they have a particular international in mind, but I've heard no rumors):

12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I believe Whisler himself came out after the draft to clarify that allocation money could be spent on things other than players, which makes me think that Chicago is probably trying to spend up their advertising efforts after the attendance success of their big game against NC last year - plus they now have the Bridgeview stadium to themselves, so it would make sense that they might be trying to increase their overall investment and really establish themselves. IIRC, Chicago had sponsorship issues in the past as well, so as one of the remaining independent teams, there may be the view that they'll need to gain allocation money from other teams to keep up with raising league standards in other areas.

That said, it's still fun to postulate about who they might try to bring on with extra allocation money. IDK who would be a good option, though... Most players that might command a $450k ($50k cap + $300 natural allocation + $100k accumulated allocation) salary are already claimed and not out of contract any time soon.

blissett and 59Amerinorsk repped this.
  13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    One of them being Ada Hegerberg who just tore her ACL today. :(

14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stop being so rational! It's not as much fun as speculation. ;) But seriously, I think you're probably right, but still it's a lot of money.

Also on a related sidenote, when the news came out that traded allocation money was able to be used for operation expenses, my first thought was, "If I was a veteran player hearing that, I'd be pissed." I get why teams (especially independent teams) would want more money in their pockets for operations, but if I was a player who had hoped to get some of the team's allocation money, then I wouldn't like it going into a different pot than salaries. But maybe that's just me.

Reign Man repped this.
  15. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    If Hegerberg is out of action, I'm not sure what other foreign player would be worth a big paycheck. Maybe Majri or Le Sommer would be worth a small salary bump from the slush fund. Or maybe Cascarino who was underutilized in my opinion in the World Cup -- but I may be too likely to fall in love with flashy wingers.

16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Wasn't sure if this was more appropriate for the Draft thread or the Moves thread, but:
    Apparently Lyon has come in late and is trying to woo Sanchez away from DC. I wonder what the management in Seattle is thinking right now. X''-D

blissett and Mills repped this.
  17. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    They think great send us Renard and Le Sommer in June...

Mills repped this.
  18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The deal with OL didn't happen; Sanchez is staying with the Spirit:

McSkillz, Mills, Klingo3034 and 3 others repped this.
  19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dash's Huerta and Brooks to Reign in exchange for Oyster and Groom plus a 2022 draft pick:

20. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Not sure how I feel about that trade. It's mostly a lateral trade I think. I think Huerta is a better finisher than Groom but Oyster is a top 10 centerback in the league.

Reign Man and blissett repped this.
  21. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think Oyster is top 10 in the world.

22. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  23. Reign Man

Reign Man Member

SEATTLE REIGN!
    Sep 28, 2016
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I bumped into Kop here in Seattle a few weeks ago and she told me she was considering Europe, so i'm not terribly surprised she asked to be waived.

I am surprised about Moros -- she's always been very good, very solid.

Monaghan was excellent last year, holding on to her is a good move.

Smallchief repped this.
  24. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree. I thought Moros was good -- and I'm surprised she's been waived. I also thought Monaghan was fairly good as a starter and was a sparkplug coming off the bench.