2020 player moves

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by SiberianThunderT, Oct 25, 2019.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff reports that Portland may also have gotten the rights to Mace from Sky Blue.

2. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    This post is so so wrong.
    Rachel Daly has been with the Dash for many years so keeping her is not making the league or the team more foreign.
    She may have under-performed last year but she is still the best attacking option we have.

Which american players might have questions and what would they base it on?
    I love to have an American player who is better than Daly to come to the Dash, just send her over here. Do you have a name?

And please don't tell me it's Ohai.
    I love Ohai, she has been our franchise's face since the start, I still love her work ethics above every one (except for Daly) but Ohai has regressed after her injury and it does not look like she is improving.
    Strictly on the soccer standpoint, trading Ohai is a very good move. It opens a slot for someone else, someone who can help Daly up front.

3. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1214965346496589824 is not a valid tweet id

Mace deal is not official yet, and not likely to be announced in the next few hours.

So you're safe to go grab some food and the beverage of your choice and, for Portland fans, calming music.

4. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we have another trade: Stengel headed to Houston.

5. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    I love the Rachel Rodriquez trade to Portland. She will finally be able to shine.
    She was wasting away at Sky Blue.

6. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well there's another international slot open for them, which I guess is for Rocky

8. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    sonnett, foord, plus #7, plus #14?

in my view, too much for smith. it may exist, but I have yet to see evidence that she can perform against pros.

otoh, this screams macario. she scored twice & assisted another (i think) in the thorns preseason tournament last year.

Mills and Smallchief repped this.
  9. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Athletic breaks down the trades so far: https://theathletic.com/1521100/

For those behind a paywall (but really you should subscribe), a few key takeaways:
    -Orlando's GM says he is not done yet with a few more moves to come pre-draft.
    -Paulson said not to look at any of Portland's moves in a vacuum. They're doing an overhaul because "[w]e have been significantly inferior to North Carolina for two years, and that is going to change." But there is NO news expected this week on a major international signing for Portland. It could come later though.
    -Sky Blue still holds the rights to Mace and Julia Ashley and those have come up in conversation with trades with other teams. (Mace to Portland is not official yet.)

10. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree. Way too much for Smith. It must be Macario. And maybe it's too much for her.

11. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It's not. You have to factor into the trade the fact that Foord isn't staying in NWSL (known by Orlando at the time of the trade).

12. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    i accept your maybe. soccer is a sport of full of "maybe".

but macario seems like a generational player to me. she's a game changer. especially against the courage.

macario and (possibly) mace up front against the courage? more scary than williams and mcdonald/hamilton going the other way!

13. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    When I say "it's not", to be clear I mean it is not Macario. Smith was willing to leave school early, but only for Portland.

Mills repped this.
  14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston acquire Lindsey Harris (former UNC coach and won Keeper of the Year in Norway):

59Amerinorsk and soccersubjectively repped this.
  15. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too late to edit, but obviously that should be "former UNC keeper."

soccersubjectively repped this.
  16. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Foord is leaving the NWSL? Well, that makes the trade more comprehensible. Sonnett and a couple of draft choices for Sophia Smith? Okay, given Orlando's awful defense. And a bargain for Portland if Macario declares -- which at this point would be a surprise.

17. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    Sophia Smith not getting her degree at Stanford seems odd. Why now? In order to try for an Olympic spot?

18. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nikki Stanton is leaving Chicago to go to Norway (Klepp):

CoachJon and 59Amerinorsk repped this.
  19. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG, my jaw just literally dropped:

Zerboni to SkyBlue for rights to Mace. I really thought Zerboni would stay in NC until she retired, and I really didn't figure on NC making any big moves since they don't need to. But WTHDIK?

20. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also if its really true that Portland were after Mace, and NC just swooped in and got her (and she actually signs with them), then hats off to NC...they just know how to win. Also I don't know if this is what Zerboni wanted, but SkyBlue needs some veteran leadership with a young team, so I like to see how they are building. But is Zerboni the same player she used to be?

And Mace can be a young player that NC can continue to develop and build on (which they've done an excellent job of in the past), so good pickup.

CoachJon and Smallchief repped this.
  21. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    For the first time in her career, Zerboni wasn't an automatic starter for NC last year. Is she slipping? Or was it just impossible for her to dominate a midfield with competition such as Mewis, O'Sullivan, and Deninha. I suspect she's got another good year or two in her. And Sky Blue, having dealt away Rocky Rodriguez, needs her.

And for NC, the rich get richer.....

22. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    If Mace comes back. Think she come back to play NWSL? It is NCC that has her instead of Skyblue.

23. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    She appears to be coming back given she's had talks with NWSL teams about it since this summer. I'd assume she has no problems with joining one of the best teams in the world.

CoachJon and Klingo3034 repped this.
  24. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say from this trade, its a pretty sure thing that Mace is coming back to play in NC. And its why this is a win for SkyBlue, even if Zerboni isn't 100%. SkyBlue turned the rights to a player who was never going to play for them into a player who at least will give a young team veteran leadership.

25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mace just retweeted the NC Courage tweet announcing the trade. And followed that up with this tweet:

1215746522291138560 is not a valid tweet id

CoachJon, DynamoManiac and Klingo3034 repped this.