2020 Olympic Qualifying Team

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by AutoPenalti, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's just so unhealthy-we have players who have been competing Day in and day out in Europe at a professional level who deserve it over Sargent. The kid literally has played four games in the last 5 months

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I'm old enough to remember when people used to insist that a young player should be on our World Cup roster "for the experience!" (Edit: Not just ours. Other countries, too...)

Truly, it was a gentler time.

Tactical Hipster repped this.
  3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People wanted Weah, Lindsey and Durkin called up for this qualifier. I'm surprised at how angry people are over Sargent especially considering how awful our forward group is

4. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Which we are doing with Adams,CCV, Mckennie etc.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I would take Weah over Sargent everyday of the week. He's playing high level matches every week.

Josh hasn't don't anything since the WC

6. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Sargent may still make something of himself when he gets to Werder Bremen, but you're right, Weah is getting games at a good level, albeit U19, but probably also trains with the 1st team at PSG.

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Except that, ya know, it's not a World Cup roster.

8. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Giggsy, giggsy. Take a breath. We took Green to the World Cup. And it wasn't even an American coach. We have fragile depth at forward. That's all. I know. It sucks.

9. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes and Sargent is way down the list of our fragile forwards.

Altidore
    Dwyer
    Agudelo
    Wood
    Wright
    Ramierez
    Johanson
    Boyd
    Bunburry
    Sapong...

Ok this list is embarrassing...

onefineesq repped this.
  10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That list sucks

frankburgers, CTS26 and Brotheryoungbuck repped this.
  11. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm not saying it's right. I'm just saying it's going to happen a few more times. Indeed it's happened multiple times.

Juan Agudelo in 11/11/10 - only had 7 pro appearances
    Bobby Wood in 8/13 - only had played in regionlliga
    Jordan Morris in 8/14 - still in college
    Landon Donovan in 10/25/00 - only played regionlliga and oberlliga
    Charlie Davies in 6/07 - only half a season in Sweden and no goals scored
    Julian Green in 11/13 - regionlliga, rejected the call up!

The big constant here is that all these guys are forwards and all of them were seen as special. This call up is very much within the typical pattern for the US.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I thought the Bradley approach was fine. You'd prefer to not have to call up guys with only a few pro games, but they had regular roles in their teams, so it wasn't that much of a stretch. I really disliked the Klinsmann approach, didn't at all agree with his call ups of Wood, Morris, Green. Donovan is a different case as he turned into our best ever player, so its hard to fault Arena there.

13. Brotheryoungbuck

Jan 24, 2015
    parts unknown
    Dwyer, Agudelo, and Sapong are called up. Altidore is in the playoffs right now, red card or not you don't take him from the team now. Wood is nursing an injury according to the US Soccer call up announcement. Johannsson has 90 minutes in the 3rd Bund and 3 minutes in the 1st Bund, for a total of 93 minutes played this season. Boyd has had a total of 75 minutes in the 2nd Bund this season. Teal Bunbury had 7 goals total this season in just over 1000 minutes in MLS. I think Wright is better served stay with his team during this break. Ramirez I would have liked seen called in, but he doesn't occupy the same space as Sargent occupies, replace one of the other players for him.

Seems like you're trying to make a fuss, but it's just a little silly. I guess if you want to disregard context it's dumb right? an amateur getting called up to the USMNT without playing a pro game yet. But it's a camp where we're pretty short handed at a position we're short handed at. This is also a tournament focused on youth, who may be of age for the next World Cup. We also shouldn't pretend Sargent is some scrub, he was like bronze boot at the U20 World Cup, and he arguably was our best player at the tournament. He's about to go pro, for a decent club too it's just timing. Plenty players have been called into these meaningless camps for U20 performances, why is it a problem now.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  14. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

No, no national team player should be called in unless they're playing first team minutes or at least playing week in and week out.

Sargent has done neither - that is embarrassing and sets an extremely bad example. The kid is not even close to a sure fire prospect.

TarHeels17 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug. I don't think most care if the coaching staff takes a flyer on one of these youngsters to a camp like this. Its just a camp. He may not even play in the game. If Sargent doesn't develop and it turns out like a wasted camp slot..................so what?

I'm typically a person that says callups to the USMNT should be earned rather than handed out. However, the purpose of the USMNT has changed for the next 1.5 years. We're not preparing for anything. We're in expanding the pool mode and providing opportunities to a lot of players. I don't really care if we call up Gio Reyna or youngsters of any age that the staff wants to just give a taste of a USMNT camp to.

Frankly, I'm not sure we should think of these as USMNT camps and games. We have folders in our heads named USMNT players, U23 players, U20 players, U18 players, U17 players, etc. As far as I'm concerned we should throw all the folders away. There is no definition for what qualifies a player for the USMNT over the next 1.5 years until we're preparing for the 2019 Gold Cup.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  16. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Calling up a young player with no pro experience is not ideal but considering the fact that he is one of our best U17s at the moment and this is a meaningless friendly, whatever. Imagine if we called up Pulisic last cycle, before he made his debut with Dortmund.

Don't forget that this thread is about Olympic Qualifying, so we should not be having discussions about players who realistically aren't expected to be available for it.

17. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We can still call a ton of players up who have earned it within professional organizations in America and abroad. Sargent hasn't earned anything, that is my point - his game still has so many holes.

18. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    Isn't it possible that Sargent got called in because he hasn't gotten competitive games, and Weah didn't because he's playing? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Sargent in a kind of awkward situation right now, where he basically has to sit around until he turns 18 and can head to Bremen?

So, why not call Sargent in and give him something productive to do with his time for a little while? He probably won't actually play today. It's not hurting anything to keep him around the more established players.

deejay repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think this is a Sargent vs. Weah debate, but you are right about his situation. As best as I know, he can't play official games until July.

20. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of those call ups would be a waste of time. You can give Dom Dwyer And CJ sapping a cookie but they still aren't very good

21. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You completely missed the point. Dom and CJ have earned it at a professional level....

22. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm saying that's not a thing. Dwyer is tapped out on potential. Giving him a cap is just like giving him a cookie nice reward for him but pointless for us. There won't be a meaningful game for him to ever play for the US. Meanwhile you're basically angry that Sargent got called in to practice with the team.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    [​IMG]

mike4066 and TxEx repped this.
  24. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016

25. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Representing your country has everything to do with "Deserve" your comment shows a complete lack of understanding on development, locker room, and creating the right culture within the US Soccer establishment that would actually produce real results on the worlds stage.