2020 Olympic Qualifying Team

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by AutoPenalti, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Call in Jonathan Klinsmann, it's not like St. Gallen is going to say 'no.'

2. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    The Olympics aren’t about development. They are about winning. I hope we bring the best team we can.

Winoman repped this.
  3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So according to that theory and based on how our leadership thinks of our players, you are ok with Michael Bradley being on the squad, correct? Just making sure you are consistent.

4. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Sorry but Ii don't see any GK whos gonna need an olympics boost to get a better club other than steffen and Horvath.

ChuckMe92 and don Lamb repped this.
  5. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I've never said Michael Bradley is in our Best 23, and I've certainly never said he's one of three overage players I'd bring.

But theoretically, if he was, yes, we should bring our best team. But since I don't think he's worth that slot, I'm perfectly consistent.

Frankly, the attempt to shoehorn Bradley into this is a pretty pathetic attempt by you to make the argument about something else.

The Olympics is the second most important competition out there for the US. I have no idea why we'd use it as a development tool.

deejay, ChuckMe92, twoolley and 2 others repped this.
  6. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Olympics is a development tool but it is something that our core for 2026 and 2030 need to be getting a lot of mintues at which is the 98's and younger. Our main young core (Pulisic, McKennie, Adams, Sargent, Weah, Llanez, Ledezma, Mendez, Reyna, Dest, richards, Edwards, CCV, both Robinsons, Gloster, Bello, Kobe, Pomykal) will all be in the pool in 2030 still as the 98's will just be turning 32. This would be their first tournament playing as a group and is a huge chemistry gaining opportunity.

7. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saucedo is in the November Spain camp, according to his IG story. He's been a regular U23 call-up.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    With another U23 roster apparently on its way, here's the current callup list, including a few asterisk types (Ferreira, Koreniuk, Zubak) and excluding some other obvious names:

Aaronson Brenden
    Acosta George
    Akale Mukwelle
    Araujo Julian
    Callender Drake
    Cappis Christian
    Cardoso Joao "Johnny" Lucas da Silva
    Carter-Vickers Cameron
    Cerrillo Edwin
    Dotson Hassani
    Duncan Kyle
    Durkin Chris
    Ebobisse Jeremy
    Farfan Marco
    Fernandez Omir
    Ferreira Jesus
    Freese Matt
    Glad Justen
    Gloster Chris
    Hamalainen Niko
    Herrera Aaron
    Jones Derrick
    Klinsmann Jonathan
    Koreniuk Kai
    Ledesma Richard
    Lennon Brooks
    Lewis Jonathan
    Lindley Cameron
    Maher Jack
    Marcinkowski James "JT"
    McKenzie Mark
    Mendez Alex
    Michel Benji
    Mihailovic Djordje
    Ocampo Chavez Alfonso
    Ochoa David
    Olosunde Matthew
    Parks Keaton
    Perez Josh
    Perez Emanuel "Manny"
    Pines Donovan
    Pos Lucas
    Reyna Giovanni
    Robinson Miles
    Robinson Antonee
    Rogers Sam
    Sabbi Emmanuel
    Sargent Josh
    Saucedo Sebastian
    Scott Kyle
    Servania Brandon
    Soto Sebastian
    Thomas Andrew
    Toye Mason
    Trusty Auston
    Vazquez Brandon
    Vines Sam
    Vom Steeg Justin
    Weah Tim
    Williamson Eryk
    Wright Haji
    Yueill Jackson
    Zelalem Gedion
    Zubak Ethan
    We're at around 60 guys and I would guess more are coming as Kreis tries to identify as many potential players as possible to offset various restrictions, availability, health, etc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zxurBh6g_Z5mIqWXUb6k7_rHxUnDstOKqTyLgnErln4/edit?usp=sharing

Winoman repped this.
  9. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    xbhaskarx and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I had to guess it's either because he's so much younger (He's eligible for the next U20's) or just back from injury and his team convinced them not to call him yet. Had he not been injured and scored the whole time like he has so far I think he'd be a no-brainer as he'd be our best winger prospect since Pulisic was that age. And like Pulisic he'd skip age groups because he'd earned it. He could still make the U23's if he goes on another tear and makes it impossible not to include him. I think if he keeps playing lights out he will move up to the first team and then if he keeps playing the way he is move on to the full US team.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Pulisic was already a first team player at Dortmund when he was skipping age groups. He made his Dortmund debut at 16.

I don't think any of us would have had any issue if Llanez was called in. But I'm also fine with Lewis (who had an impactful season with Colorado), Sabbi (who's been impactful at Hobro), and others.

Players like Mendez and Ledezma are going up against adult professionals in the Dutch 2nd division. And succeeding. Uly playing in the German U19 league isn't the same thing. Not yet anyway. Maybe the analysis will change shortly.......................

12. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    I don't really know what Mendez has done in the Dutch 2nd Division that could be considered successful.

dougtee repped this.
  13. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are any of these games from the United Intl Football Festival being televised? Kind of more eager to watch this group play than the USMNT.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  14. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is not true. Pulisic moved to Dortmund at and made his debut in late January 2016 after he turned 17. It is very common for Bundesliga clubs to promote youth players right after the Christmas break, be expecting Uly Llanez and Gio Reyna to follow this path and KHF in 2021. Pulisic didn't get called into the first USMNT camp after his debut because JK held him out to keep getting minutes at Dortmund.

Also Mendez and Ledezma are not necessarily lighting up the ereste divise. Richie is doing better between the two and should get his first team debut in the Spring as well but his stats are not the best. Mendez has a bit to go before he moves up to the next level. He'll need a solid Olympic qualifying and Olympic games performance to get his USMNT call up as his Jong performances aren't exactly showing that he's ready for it.

16. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Pulisic was not in January Camp, of course. But JK did call him in for the first FIFA window that came, March 2016, after his debut.

18. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1143 autobus39, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    1194642245720379392 is not a valid tweet id

Hamalainen says Kreis remains in contact with him. I am curious as to if the Olympics have cup tie (separate from the preliminary cap tie rules) rules with the U-20 and U-17 World Cups since he played competitive matches for Finland in the last U-21 cycle which served as Olympic 2020 qualification for UEFA.

19. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they would. Hamalainen came to a US U23 camp but didn't play.

20. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Snip:

FC Dallas forward Jesus Ferreira and Kilmarnock FC defender Niko Hamalainen are not yet eligible to play for the U-23 MNT. While Ferreira has obtained his U.S. citizenship, the process continues to finalize his eligibility. Dual-national and Miami native Hamalainen also remains ineligible to play as he has previously played for Finland and would need to apply for a change of federation.

“Regardless if they’re eligible to play in games, you always want to see those players up close and how they interact with your group” Kreis said. “So it’s been really nice to have them here this week.”
    https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...ic-qualifying-preparation-camp-in-chula-vista

ussoccer97531 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Just because I enjoy reminding people, Hamalainen also played at FC Dallas :).
    He was a backup. I'm not quite sure why it didn't work out for him there.

Pegasus repped this.
  22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting about Ferreira. he has citizenship so now he's waiting for FIFA to ?

23. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was LAFC. I haven't seen him play, but we shouldn't overhype a player from the Scottish league. It's equivalent or probably worse than MLS outside the Old Firm.

It's a very odd situation where our best left back prospects are all U23 and someone like Lovitz who has no business being in the national team starting games in official competitions.

For Hamalainen, it's a difficult choice as Brian points out because he's not a Dest-level talent where we could give him any guarantees. Most likely scenario if he does a one-time switch is that he would still be cut for Robinson or Gloster. Finland is about to qualify for the Euros and have historically had a shallow player pool. He could be a mainstay for Finland after some of their current best XI age out.

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #1149 Clint Eastwood, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    He played at the FCD academy in the 2013/2014 DA season, and then went over to Europe (QPR). Finnish passport of course. QPR later loaned him to LAFC.....................

I don't think FCD ever offered him a contract, so I don't think they owned his "homegrown rights" in any way. In fact, he was sorta an afterthought for FCD academy watchers at the time.

He's from Florida originally. Moved to Dallas from FC Florida in Palm Beach if I remember correctly.

25. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So.. over the last 4 youth US games I have watched (3 U17 WC and 1 U23) we have scored a grand total of 1 goal. The 1st half of the Brazil game was ridiculous... the U23 squad couldn't even seem to complete a meaningful forward pass. The subs brought on at half seemed to improve things and I thought they played OK based on the quality of opponent. But I am struggling to see why this style of play is being pushed on all of our teams because we look completely lost offensively.

On a related note... for those that think we still lag behind a lot of the world w/ respect to player skill.... I would point you towards watching this last U23 game.... because the skill level looked really poor. You may have a legit point.

Patrick167 repped this.