2020 Olympic Qualifying Team

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by AutoPenalti, Mar 29, 2016.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By the way, there's an added conflict in 2020 that is going to play a big role in this. It appears that the US is going to be invited to play in the 2020 Copa America (it may even be held in the US again).

This is impossible to predict from so far out. However, its likely that a number of our best players in this group aren't going to be available. Doyle obviously didn't include CCV and Pulisic. However, by 2020 a great number of these players may not be available for qualifying (if they're held back by their Euro clubs) or the Olympics (if they're with the USMNT instead). I mean.......................of the guys in that tweet I can imagine EPB, Adams, McKennie, Wright, and others not taking part. They could play in America that summer instead. With every cycle this becomes a bigger problem. And that's a very good thing...................

This is one reason why the USSF really needs to appoint a coach and starting building the pool this fall. We can probably find some U23 opponents in CONCACAF to start with. I'm sure Mexico and Canada will be on board for some friendlies.

I'd also add that its amazing how wrong we are when making threads like this early. Three years is eternity in soccer cycle terms. So much movement happens in the pool in that amount of time.

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, I see your point. I think a number of those players could definitely be in contention for the NT. There are many ways whoever is the next coach can approach the situation. Could just go with the best team, could go with a weakened Copa America team or he could choose to go with a veteran heavy Copa America team, and the experimental players are the best 95's and 96's with the younger players at the Olympics.

But as for that tweet, I was just posting it here because it fit the thread. Doyle actually does have Pulisic listed, but he does not have Carter-Vickers listed because he's a known critic.

4. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I used to enjoy putting together lineups for the future, but in reality with what just happened with the U20s and all the players that weren't released what's the use?

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    At the risk of overreacting based on some USOC games, I think Brandon Vasquez, Reggie Cannon and Jackson Yueill stand a good chance of factoring in the U23 pool.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  6. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost feels like they should've been with the U-20s...

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  7. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Unfortunately for Yueill he still plays for DOM. I was hoping he would get his debut the last few MLS games when they couldn't even fill a bench and had at most 2-3 offensive subs including him. No dice. Much more of an problem then Carlton imo, as SJ has no where near the talent of ATL in front of him.

Tom Collingsworth and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the cutoff? Acosta is only 21. BTW is getting to the point where there are so many Acosta's in the national team pool we need to start referring to them by their first name or do we wait until the younger one's get full team callups?

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    97's and younger. Kellyn is not eligible, but could play as one of the three older players allowed.

Danny Acosta could have a chance, given he plays LB, and is also versatile enough to play other positions. I don't think George Acosta is good enough for this team, and not many 00's will probably be in contention for the team to begin with.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  10. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, club teams don't have to release them.

MuchoTakeItEasy and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  11. alslammerz

alslammerz Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Staten Island, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point, let's call them all Kellyn instead.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There was a time on this board when we were talking about a Kellyn, Kelyn, and Kellen..............

[Kelyn Rowe, Kellyn Acosta, and Kellen Gulley]

Ah.................good times. As far as I know, only one of them has served prison time.
    At least all the names are spelled differently.

There was also the cycle of the Garzas. [Greg Garza, Victor Garza, and Sam Garza.]

mike4066 and sXeWesley repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #64 ussoccer97531, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Gonna go ahead and plug Brian's article for him on this subject.

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/could-the-u-s-men-win-the-2020-olympics-absolutely

I agree with a reasonable amount. I think this team could be very good, if every player is available, but regardless, it doesn't matter if they are. It shows some excellent improvement that even hypothetically those players are part of a four year generation, although I'm kind of a little skeptical on the early returns about '01 and '02 being anywhere near as good as some of the '97-'00 years, (that stretch also has '99, which isn't the best year, IMO, so maybe the early years of the next generation are only a bad start), so it might be a golden generation or maybe not, too early to tell.

I'd say for the actual content, I'm not sure full-back is such a problem. I think LB is looking pretty good, so RB is more of the problem. Acosta and Farfan as U-20 regulars/semi-regulars in MLS is better than what it has been in the past, and then I'd also say Chris Gloster needs to be on this team, so LB is looking decent for those years, and then even beyond that looks like Xuxuh and Bello as left-footed full-backs for '01 and '02, so LB is looking fine, IMO. RB does seem to be a problem. It looks really weak for the upcoming U-20 cycle, I think Jaylin Lindsey could factor into that team, maybe Sergino Dest. Where has Fossey went? Completely off the map. Would be nice to see one of the '98 RB's (Fossey, Olosunde, Cannon) emerge because that position definitely does look weak.

And then I'd say that Garces probably should be on the team. I have not seen Austin play, but I have a really hard time believing Garces will not be one of the two best GK's from '97-'00 in a few years. He brings a different dimension to the GK position for US keepers with how good he is with his feet.

15. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico is convening a U21 camp during the international window in what I believe is their first Olympic preparation activity.

Hopefully the USSF isn't asleep at the wheel again. Qualification is >2 years away so I don't think it's essential to hold an in-season camp during a FIFA window, but this winter? Let's make it happen.

Zinkoff and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  16. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I really respect Brian, but this is a poor article. It sounds like we have Pulisic and 10 good players. No, we probably won't have Pulisic and at most 3-4 of the rest will be good (and none of them will be called Adams). The rest will be traditionally mediocre to poor. The funny thing that we don't have any overaged players that would make the team that much better. There will be at least 5-6 teams way better than us and 15 more as good as us. Could we win? Of course: shit happens at this age. although not that often.

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    LMAO, I can't say I disagree, but I actually think this age group is way better than previous age groups. The previous age group contained '94 which is one of the worst age groups we've ever produced, and '96 isn't looking too good either. '93 and '95 are decent, but not anywhere near as good as '98 and '00 are looking so far. As I mentioned, it may just be a golden generation, the two years after this one don't look so great right now, but I think '97, '98 and '00 look excellent, 3 really good years in a 4 year stretch.

18. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Yes, but Pulisic plus 3-4 good players already would make it way better than previous age groups. Unfortunately, that's exactly why not much help from overaged ones will arrive.

19. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you guys are being awfully blasé about a team with a potential spine that includes Pulisic, Sargent, McKennie, Adams, EPB, and Glad/CCV and that has two more years worth of improvement and breakouts in the player pool.

Real Corona and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  20. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When was the last time our "spine" played together in a non-senior team? We may be lucky if we only get the MLS standouts. If our best players are good enough to start in a top league, then the player may not be released for such a tournament.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    NA based standouts would also be pretty good.

Garces
    Cannon-Redding-Glad-Acosta
    Durkin-Gonzalez
    Pomykal
    Lennon-Ebobisse-Carleton

Bench: Marcinkowski, Gloster, Farfan, Adams, Lewis, Mihailovic, Ferreira

Winoman repped this.
  22. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last two U20 WCs are the first time we've had trouble getting players from clubs. McKennie and Taitague this time, Horvath and Novakovich in 2015. Losing core players because they are needed for the senior team is a separate issue - Pulisic in 2017, Adu and Altidore in 2009 come to mind.

Assembling a roster for Olympic qualifying is definitely tough, but we should be able to get most or all of the players we want for the main event if we qualify. Even though the Olympics aren't huge in soccer, it's still a special once-in-a-lifetime experience for players. It's harder to be a dick about it to players like Schalke was about the U20 WC, especially because the 2020 Olympics are scheduled at a more reasonable time than 2016 for fall-spring soccer leagues (ends August 9 instead of August 21).

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  23. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    OTOH, I can't remember any previous team having 5 players with the quality of CP, Haji, Sargent, EPB and Weston. I also can't remember a previous team with the quality of depth either. Sure, Adams might be "mediocre" in this team but that's a significant shift of the term mediocre. I see him farther along than Kitchen and Trapp at the same age and those guys were cornerstones of their teams.

So will we medal? Eh. Don't know. But now it feels like we can at least dream.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    That 2008 team seemed destined to medal. And then...

(Which, I realize, wasn't the deathblow for the campaign, but it sure felt like one.)

25. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    That's youth soccer for you. In retrospect that was a really good US squad and a really terrible one from Netherlands. Yet they did enough to advance past us and gave Argentina a tough time in the knockout rounds. And that Argentina squad! Mamita querida! Messi, Aguero, Di Maria, Lavezzi, Mascherano, Gago, Zabaleta. It was mind boggling good.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.