2020 Olympic Qualifying Team

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by AutoPenalti, Mar 29, 2016.

1. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen enough of Durkin. I should make it a point to check out his game.

2. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I have trouble answering it because he answered his own tweet?

The results are hardly random and the draw is random because thats how its set up and the good teams always seem to survive.

3. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    mckennie isn't the kind of player that would cause a huge swing(for the record pulisic wouldn't either) and its good to remember that with that line of thought that mbappe would play for france...so everyone is missing someone. The good old line of 'we didn't have...' is a popular line for americans so they can justify a quarterfinal loss to an average looking team year after year.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Just a reminder that the Venezuela team was good, well-prepared, and beat us fair and square with a good performance that might well have beaten a better U.S. team.

mike4066 and Winoman repped this.
  5. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    ???

Venezuela mowed through everybody in that tournament. France was missing Mbappe and some other countries were missing some big players, but it seems that Venezuela had all of their players, including one who I think had already gotten minutes in Serie A.

6. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    And I would add well-rested. In tournament knockout rounds, teams are ideally bracketed with even rest, though scheduling considerations (due to travel/TV/other factors) often necessitate a one-day difference in rest, which can be a distinct advantage. IIRC Venezuela had two days' more rest than we had, which I would call a definite advantage. That's not an excuse, nor a complete explanation, but it is a factor to be considered.

7. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    france was missing both mbappe and dembele....only the two best u20 wingers in the world.

venezuela had all their guys sure and I like herrera I thought he played really well with nycfc. Though they didn't have anyone playing in italy I mean you can literally look this stuff up on the net you don't have to make this stuff up to feel better.

Venezuela wasn't a great team the us performance reflected its abilities. People always try to find a way to justify why the us didn't win but really was the best team in every tournament. I mean the us b- team without pulisic got a draw against france right before the world cup...its hard to see how they wouldn't have atleast made the semi.....had they qualified lol.

8. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus, Venezuela were playing together for the past 3 years.

9. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adalberto Penaranda had already finished his time in Serie A (where he indeed did play minutes), had been bought by Watford for 10 million pounds, and was loaned to Granada in La Liga in the winter where he played a few matches, including against Real Madrid, Sociedad, and Barcelona. He then became the starter the next year after his U20 time was done.

You don't always have to be such a jack*ss. If you stayed civil people would engage with you and have discussions, but you don't. You're abrasive for no reason, and when you're wrong, like right now, there isn't a single redeemable quality about your posts.

10. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Sorry, it was La Liga, not Serie A. Does that change anything, or are you just trying to be difficult? The point is that Venezuela DID have all of there players -- That disputes your point that suggested that most teams were playing without their top players.

Not exactly sure what you were going for with this paragraph, but it sounds like you get too caught up in what other people are thinking.

11. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    The difference is that they don't have top players.

they weren't missing an mbappe type player.

they were not dominate at all and they were not elite at all.

12. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    my bad he did get those 155 minutes there I am glad he played against teams in his league.

He also had a disappointing u20 wc but we won't get into that.

If you don't want threads to be about me then stop talking about me in every thread. People get annoyed you keep doing that the rest of us dm each other. We joke about posters(especially the top notch 'scouts' on the board...there i a new one too he is a great follow he only scouts for the big clubs lol) and things all the time. You attack me it doesn't bother me at all, I was threatened it didn't bother me at all I don't take it so serious. This is why this place is dying you guys complain so people leave.

13. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    If they don't have top players, and our top players were not there, isn't that something to consider when comparing the two sides?

14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    No, there is no difference at all. You play the team in front of you. There is no extra difficulty because the other team is missing players.

Also, you can't pronounce that the US YNT was bad because they lost in the QF and yet summarily say that they lost to average teams. In 2015 we lost to the champions. In 2017 we lost to the Sub-champion.

15. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I am not saying there was extra difficulty because they were missing players I am saying it was easier because teams were missing players.

I am saying a france team with mbappe and dembele destroy the average venezuela team at the u20 world cup.

I can say the us team was poor because I watched them...they dominated terrible teams and were poor against average/good ones.

16. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    not at all because there top players were head and shoulders ahead of the us.

17. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Why don't you say that a US team with Pulisic and McK would have made the final? See? Still having it both ways.

18. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, go and DM the "rest of people". I have to say, though, talking to yourself usually isn't a good sign.

I'm not threatening you, this is a website. I have literally no ability to do anything on here. I'm not trying to bother you, or rile you up. I'm telling you to stop being abrasive for no reason. The "lol" at the end of your snarky comments comes off as incredibly pompous, and you do it every time. No one else's posts on this website have the same self-important tone as yours.

You obviously have a good knowledge base about youth prospects, which is why I wish you would be more civil.

19. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Nothing I've see from this guy suggests this.

20. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    '97 Jonathan Suarez, is a player I think that would at least make the bench for our U23s. He should be getting more first team minutes in the 2nd half of the current Liga MX season. He is a left midfielder, who is a good play maker, decent dribbler and very unselfish.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    My occasional reminder that the conversation is better when it's about players, rather than posters. To be honest, even I'm only somewhat interesting, and then only when I've had a full night's sleep.

22. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    my bad

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    With the Generation Adidas class featuring two American 98s (left back John Nelson and target forward JJ Williams), two 99s (M Siad Jahi and F/M Griffin Dorsey) and one 00 (M Frankie Amaya), the prop pool of Olympic-eligible players continues to get deeper and deeper.

Toss in Manny Perez (99) going to Celtic, the Union signing Matt Freese (98) and Orlando signing Benji Michel (97) and we've gotten a lot more pro depth the last few weeks.

I also think we'll see several more HG signings of Olympic-eligible talent.

And that's before any of the college seniors who are 97s turn pro later this year, of which there will be many.

It will be interesting to see if these kids who turn pro a little later can play catch-up enough to move past some of the players with more pro experience.

Luksarus and Sombrerito repped this.
  24. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it depends on whether they are really top prospects, what position they play and how long they were in college. One year doesn't seem to make much difference especially to defenders. My example would be Cannon who also barely played at all his first year pro but just defended Pareja in an interview I saw on twitter today that praises Oscar for not throwing him out there before he was ready. Kind of goes against what I thought about his situation.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

One source indicated that in addition to his deputy role with the senior team, Wolff is also in contention to coach the U.S. under-23 squad that later this year will attempt to qualify for the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. Wolff starred on the American side that finished fourth at the 2000 Games in Sydney. The U.S. men have not reached the Olympics since 2008.