2020 Not Rapids Related Stuff

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by COMtnGuy, Jan 16, 2020.

1. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess it's time for a new thread for 2020.

NWSL had their draft today and 3 of the first 6 players are all Colorado products.

Congrats Ladies, Hope to see you in some Red, White and Blue soon.

1- Sophia Smith
    3- Taylor Kornieck
    6- Aleandra Watt

22SteveD, AlbertCamus, m vann and 2 others repped this.
  2. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  3. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-...son-not-included-on-olympic-qualifying-roster

Whoa! I did not see this coming. Mallory Pugh has been left of the Olympic Qualifying roster. Tough week for her. She was also surprisingly traded from Washington Spirit to Sky Blue FC. At 21, she will bounce back but it's a setback of sorts after being a regular contributor for the USWNT. Andonovki is sticking to his hard line of "you gotta earn it".

TheWarmBurger and COMtnGuy repped this.
  4. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weird that Mal will continue to practice with Olympic squad. It will be total BS than if he adds Alex Morgan to the roster.

Morgan, who won the Silver Boot (given to the tournament's second-leading scorer) in the most recent World Cup and has said she hopes to make the final roster this summer if the U.S. qualifies

m vann repped this.
  5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda weird. It's only a roster of 20 for the qualifiers so they have to "practice" players to make a two 11 v 11 sides to train. Still it must suck to train for no gain.

On Morgan...... I mean she is one of the best players in the world. I can't argue that. She will have a baby soon. It' s race against time. If she can do it, great but i say the odds are against her.

To be honest.... I would love to see the Olympics as a time to transition from older to younger players and see likes of Rapinoe, Sauerbraun, Krieger, Lloyd, O'Hara, Heath, and Press step aside. But not because those players can't complete anymore. They can, evident by the WC but it's time to hand over the reins to the younger players. We need to integrate younger players in sooner than later as the world has closed the gap on the US.

meanderingjeeper, Totoro and JasonMa repped this.
  6. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Seems like there's a good argument for bringing along youngsters. But since those vets are all on the qualifying roster, it seems like they're not doing it? Hard to blame Andonovski, I guess. I'm sure he'd like not to be fired. At least they still have that young/in prime World Cup midfield. Only one forward under 30, wow. The average ages of the keepers and the forwards are about even.

I don't follow the NWSL at all and didn't watch the victory tour. How had Pugh been doing? She seemed to have such promise when she first made the team. She looked creative and always seemed to be looking for that unlocking pass in the final 3rd.

She's seemed underwhelming the last couple years I've seen her, like she's not developed from that point. She's had some injuries, right?

7. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    #1 and #2 on this list are d-mids, it will be interesting to see the influence they have this season. Still wonder if it would have made sense for the Rapids to have included a guy like this given the depth of attacking players.

Five top under-the-radar signings in MLS this offseason

8. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I know we have given the rapids a ton of crap through the years for jersey designs, but at least we didn’t bust out Columbus crew 2.0 with our jerseys:

Nothing like Fluorescent Yellow with black stripes as your inaugural jersey. Yikes.

9. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle vs. Nashville should be sponsored by 7-Up or Sprite.

SccrDon, COMtnGuy and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  10. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, MLS needs to fix this kit stuff

1218948888184414209 is not a valid tweet id

AlbertCamus and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder

AlbertCamus and COMtnGuy repped this.
  12. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, Could be out for 4 months.

13. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    The irony is that they couldn’t resign Benezet because they spent too much money resigning Bradley...
    https://lfpress.com/sports/soccer/m...t-gm/wcm/5c0a662c-a40f-49ac-8493-b88d0fc72ce5

Also, he probably would’ve started more games for TFC if they didn’t have the purchase clause in his loan contract. In the article he’s quoted as saying how he desperately wanted to get to six starts, but TFC couldn’t afford / didn’t want to buy him. Feel bad for the guy. He got stuck on the wrong end of an awkward situation, and now with Bradley’s issue, just gets more awkward.

I certainly won’t complain that TFC handled the Benezet situation poorly tho. More “disgruntled assets” for us!

COMtnGuy and Rod1916 repped this.
  14. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're a disgruntled asset, come to the Rapids and succeed with us!

If you're a successful asset, come to the Rapids and become disgruntled with us!

Dom. FC and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  15. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta just shipped Julian Gressel to DC United for a truckload of TAM. That could change the dynamics of the season opener. I wonder who Atlanta has incoming. (At least they aren't on the Rapids schedule this year.)

I miss the days when the east was least and the west was best. The east-heavy first-fifteen-match schedule this year could be a bit testy.

16. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if Atlanta brings in a big new name I'm not sure one player can address their roster gaps. They need 2-3 signings now.

fortcollins repped this.
  17. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    COMtnGuy, TheWarmBurger and AlbertCamus repped this.
  19. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    In other news:

Atlanta United partners with America's VetDogs. This dog - aptly named "Spike" after the Golden Spike ATL uses at all home games - will be donated free of charge to a vet in need after it completes it's training.

Some nice 'non-soccer' stuff right there.

20. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about players who never were gruntled? :D

21. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Interesting view from one of th newer owners. A very different perspective than some of the origin owners (like kse). His advise to the krafts is priceless - if you are going to build downtown, build big and market like crazy. In other words, soccer can appeal to a large number of people, don't hamper just to save a few dollars.

Sorry for those without an athletic subscription, here is the link: https://theathletic.com/1580104/202...-can-do-it-at-any-place?source=shared-article

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a nit, KSE isn't an original owner. Anshutz (LA), Hunt (Dallas, kind of), and Kraft (NE) are the only original owners left. Kroenke is the owner with the longest history outside of those three though.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  23. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't Anshutz also the Rapids owner before KSE?

JasonMa repped this.
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct, I was just listing their current teams. All three originals owned multiple teams in the past (Anshutz owned 6 I think).

COMtnGuy repped this.
  25. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    And yet they have the perspective being called out.