2020 Grade 6 Changes

Discussion in 'Referee' started by code1390, Mar 11, 2019.

1. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got the following email from our SRA today

2. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does "classic" U19 mean?

frankieboylampard repped this.
  3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a NC thing. It's the term for the general upper level travel league.

4. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    The USYSA league in MN also uses the term for competitive leagues above the recreational level but below "premier".

5. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Interesting... our state allows games as long as they’re 40 min + halves. But they require either 1 youth and 1 adult. Or 2 adult matches.

I got my two assessments on adult matches last year so I don’t have much to worry about. But it will definitely weaken some assignors who have drawn referees to their events because they can get an assessable match on a U15-16-17-18-19 matches. And then continue reffing their events.

6. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Also the new requirement for fitness test to be a "regional referee" is to pass the women's FIFA fitness test which was the case, I think, several years ago.

I've lost track of how many times they have changed so I could be wrong.

This really doesn't change much if anything other than changing the letters on your badge.

More nonsensical changes for the sake of change with no long term planning or foresight.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  7. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll probably cut down on the total grade 6 refs in areas where they don't have sufficient U19 and adult games. There's plenty of U17 everywhere to use for an assessment.

8. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This on top of the Law changes is really ruining my day. Can we just have a few years of status quo before we go and try to reinvent the wheel.

YoungRef87 repped this.
  9. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lack of sanctioned adult leagues is going to be killer for certain areas.

swoot and Geko repped this.
  10. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As it should, frankly.

If there are no solid amateur leagues and you're not traveling to do DA and/or professional matches, I'm really not sure what the need to be a "Regional Referee" is.

With that said, I mostly agree with @RedStar91 . Other than maybe weeding some referees out who were able to make it to Grade 6 based purely on youth matches, I don't see much of a change here other than re-branding.

Baka_Shinpan and Geko repped this.
  11. fairplayforlife

fairplayforlife Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes and no. Let’s face facts. There are just as many “adult” games out there that aren’t even on par with U-16 games as there are the reverse.

And unless DA has changed drastically to be a true stepping stone to the next level from what I’ve been told by the people that go it’s more a way to gather the “who we want to see” refs in one place then fill the rest of the slots with warm bodies, all while not want to help cover any expenses and then slap brand restrictions on the refs to boot.

Geko repped this.
  12. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true. I was thinking about truly competitive amateur leagues.

Also yes and no. It's a lot of what you say, but it also is the stepping stone to the next level. These are the players who will go on to play D1 college and professional, after all.

Geko and fairplayforlife repped this.
  13. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I hope they change the fitness test. Our state (along with a few others) still uses the 2 intervals 45s standard. So making the fitness a bit more accurate to the level you’ll be working is fine by me.
    Just to add while DA is a stepping stone for a lot of players it just doesn’t have the same management issues amateur leagues do. Players behave more at events imo, than back at home Bc their coaches remind them that national scouts are observing games. As well as a host of D1 colleges.

My opinion on events are if you aren’t from a big state or backed by a national assignor don’t expect worthwhile assignments. Or you can expect Montaña FC v. Alaska FC.

14. VariableFeedback

Aug 3, 2009
    While this change doesn't impact me (I wasn't using youth games for assessment), I wonder what it will mean for DA game coverage. While I don't have any evidence to back it up, I always felt that allowing DA games to be used for state assessments was just a way of making sure referees of that level were working the DA games.

15. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My SRC wouldn't send an assessor to anything younger than U19 anyway so this isn't really a change.

16. Geko

Geko Member

Sacremento Geckos
    United States
    May 25, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "State" to "Regional" rebrand is a good thing. It gives a more accurate representation of where that referee is going. If the fitness test is changing across the board, that would be good, too. Most of the requirements seem to be tests that you have completed something rather than tests to prepare you moving forward. A Grade 7 should be tested on a low-level adult match, and have the 45s fitness test. That's what you're getting ready for.

Is there any reason to let a state referee do a 45s fitness test knowing they should be working games that demand more than that? Or get assessed on a U17 match that, to be competitive enough for an assessment is probably a sterile environment anyway? (DA, ECNL, other showcases)

I've seen a few states moving their FIFA fitness tests to the summer, as well, which makes sense. You don't need a 50 degree mild tail-wind to help you out in a fitness test. You need 90+ zero cloud-cover. And maybe they should ask you trivia questions while you're running. Every one you get wrong you run another interval. Ok this sounds more like reality TV now.

frankieboylampard and ArgylleRef repped this.
  17. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I heard that they are also doing away with the emeritus badge level. No more state and national referee emeritus.

Is that correct?

18. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These changes need to stop. First, I got reclassified from a State 5 to a State 6 a few years ago. Then they said no emeritus until you are 45. Now it might be no emeritus at all. What the hell?!?

fairplayforlife repped this.