2020 Breakout Youngster

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Patrick167, Dec 30, 2019.

1. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Villa did sign a 10 million pound striker from Genk yesterday. Can't say I know a thing about him.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shouldn't affect Vassilev as he's not a striker :)
    To me he's more of a midfielder, although can be used as a forward.

Its also fine if he's just getting into the squad due to an injury crisis. Sometimes kids just need an opportunity with the first team however it arises. Based on the Villa coach's comments, it appears that Indiana has taken advantage of the opportunity.

He appeared again last night for Villa in their win against Watford.

Patrick167 repped this.
  3. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #53 iad_22201, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    He may not be, but that's where he's been playing recently with the reserve team and now in his two appearances with the first team. So, theoretically he'll be competing for playing time with a guy like Mbawna Samatta (the guy they signed from Genk).

Eh, I wouldn't make too much of those comments. What would you expect him to say about a kid they have to throw out there because they've basically got nobody else, "he's not good enough, but let's hope for the best"???

I watched his appearance yesterday and wasn't very impressed. On the positive side, he worked very hard and hustled, but I can't imagine the folks at Villa are pleased they've gotten into a situation where they have to play him in a relegation battle.

4. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Of course, but I would amend it. They didn't have to play him. They chose him out of all the options they had. There is a difference and it is important. He is 18, not 27. It is significant when you can get on the field in the EPL as an 18 yo, no matter the circumstances. Even if it only shows he is their best U23 option at that position, that is significant.

And no, I don't think managers talk great about everyone all the time. Yes, the kid has some slack. But Smith could have simply said, "he answered the bell when we needed him and did his best".

Vassilev got minutes in two crucial games. That is actually better than Hyndman, who I believe just got the last minutes in the season with nothing on the line for Bournemouth. Hyndman was good enough to start for one of the best teams in MLS and is making max charge or TAM level money. So, while the guy from Genk and people returning from injuries will probably push Vassilev down the depth chart, he has shown a level that is already decent.

5. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    folks, what if he is actually you know a very good prospect? Not all players develop at the same rate and sometime its injuries that are the climax to a future stars career when they were never given that chance they needed.

Here is his chance and so far his team has been playing much better with him than with the other players and has drawn praise from the coach.

6. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it really isn't that important. Right now all they've got are a bunch of bad options. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a situation like this, a poor, desperate side has to field a youth player not ready for the PL for a handful of matches (and sometimes even a few more than that), and how many times that player ends up being forgotten years later, toiling in the lower leagues. Again, the kid is only a teenager and who knows how he'll develop over the next few years but, unsurprisingly, some folks here are making way too much of the fact he's featured in a few recent matches.

7. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    folks, what if he is actually you know a very good prospect? Not all players develop at the same rate and sometime its injuries that are the climax to a future stars career when they were never given that chance they needed.

Here is his chance and so far his team has been playing much better with him than with the other players and has drawn praise from the coach.

8. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    And I have seen regular starters on big teams eventually toil away down into lower leauges as well. Shit happens. Super-competitive environment. The difference between a champions League player and a mid-table player could be a matter of protien intake daily/ 1 hour of sleep extra a night.

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. For youngsters its all about taking advantage of opportunities when they come. Vassilev isn't some youngster that's coming out of nowhere for us. He was a US U17 regular, U17WC participant, and is now part of the US U20s. Maybe he's not viewed by the all-knowing prognosticators as having the upside of a Gio Reyna. But those prognosticators have been wrong a gazillion times.

He's the 2nd youngest American to ever make an appearance in the Premier League (after Jonathan Spector), which follows the debut of our youngest ever American in the Bundesliga. If folks want to get excited about the young talent we have being promoted to first teams in Europe..................please be my guest!

10. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Not being Reyna isn't some super slam. Most wingers aren't Sancho. Indy would never have been my pick to see first team minutes next from that U17WC but he's getting minutes and hasn't embarrassed himself or hacked off the coach. When the injured return he may get dropped again but the experience and the opportunity will help his game and his standing with Villa. If they drop he could be a regular in the championship and that's a good level for any 19 year old.

DHC1 repped this.
  11. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I've seen Pomykal first few matches in 2018. He wasn't mediocre, he was horrible. Nerves.
    All that "poor first touch" talk based on 2 touches (not from you) is a pure bs. He is pretty skilled very complete player. Might need work on his right foot though. He is also from professional soccer players family and that's a huge plus. I'm not sure that he isn't better than Paul Arriola (whom I like ) today at 18.

Patrick167 repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup. Its all about giving youngsters opportunities. They can learn and improve.

Now, maybe Indy'll slide down the leagues in England like Lynden Gooch did. Maybe slide out of USMNT relevance. But Lynden Gooch is going to have a long career as a soccer player. May be in the Championship next season. We'll see.

What Vassilev has done over the last couple of weeks is push himself into the category of USMNT prospect where Mendez, Ledezma, Richards, Llanez, Gloster, Soto, etc. currently reside. Prospect being a latin word meaning "really hasn't done squat yet." He was kind of a youngster that youth watchers knew was at Villa, but feared he'd be there 5 years playing for the reserves. Then he'd come back to MLS at some point (Aka the Sebastian Lletget at West Ham treatment. Also known as the Mukwelle Akale at Villarreal treatment). But maybe there's more to him than we knew and expected. So he's pushed himself into our field of view, which is great.

And who am I to rain on somebody's parade? If folks want to get excited about young American players, then go for it!!!! I'd rather be excited about them, then think about the state of the USMNTers that are supposed to be in their primes.

Ghost, DHC1, Eleven Bravo and 1 other person repped this.
  13. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I think that's a good place to put Vassilev and Otasowie and it's also where Dest and Reyna were a few months ago.

However, there's a interesting frame of reference here. If we view the international game that the USMNT belongs at (WC level), then the best comparable is the major leagues and equivalents.

Therefore, minor league players such as Holmes, Green, Pomykal et al also "really haven't done squat yet" either. Plenty of players who play in the minors aren't good enough for the international game.

I know that you're a huge MLS supporter but the challenge to me is when the USMNT significantly advantages one path over the other - we should keep an open mind to both the high risk/reward of going to elite academies and taking the local path of staying in MLS. Both are options and I'm against creating false parameters that harms one at the expense of the other.

Patrick167 repped this.
  14. Sbey17

Sbey17 Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Australia
    Jan 20, 2020
    This is a good point. But I feel as though it is defiantly beneficial for them to go abroad and receive better coaching and play with better players, which will in turn make them better when playing for the national team

15. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    As expected, Bulgaria is being aggressive.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  16. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Why doesn't Bulgaria let the kid stay and train and lock down his place in the first team? ;)

In all seriousness, I doubt he will bail on the USA easily. He played up at the U17WC and was highly valued by the previous coaching regime. The smart play would be to wait a few years at least.

yurch10, Pl@ymaker and USSoccerNova repped this.
  17. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    oh but where is the fun without agenda pushers for the cabal here on bigsoccer?

Gregg does a Zardes defense interview around the same timeframe of Vassilev's push for U-20's.

18. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Almost lock will be reyna. Three dark horses are weah, indiana and osatasies (can we please give this huy a "gooch" nickname)

19. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Are you saying it might be a better idea to let him SETTLE IN, rather than risk him missing out on training with AV and the manager potentially forgetting about him?

Not smart.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I would say that Weah has already broken out.
    I mean, this guy already has 8 USMNT caps...................and made his first team debut for PSG almost 2 years ago. He also made 17 appearances for Celtic when they won the Scottish Premier League in 2018/2019.

He just happened lose out to others in terms of this "BigSoccer Breakout Youngster of the Year Award in 2018 and 2019. Just my opinion.

21. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #71 sXeWesley, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    I would be shocked if it isn't Reyna obviously, but the field after that is more competitive than I can ever recall. My dark horse would be Antonee Robinson, AC Milan was willing to invest some real $$$, maybe they come back in for him in the summer?

22. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think milan will address their issue of only one lb (when it becomes having zero lbs after the season) with a higher caliber player and most likely a more affordable backup.

robinson moving after a pretty likely wigan relegation is a safe bet, though. best case for me, personally- my fav club roma bring him in to split time with 63 year old kolarov. which means, if he reaches his potential- usa starting left back for juve by 2024.

23. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep an eye on De La Fuente. Yesterday he began to train with Barcelona's first team.

24. slider4CU

slider4CU Member

Borussia Dortmund
    United States
    Apr 12, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not enough PT this year to breakout imo

25. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most likely. I think the senior coaching staff wanted to take a closer look at him. I'm not sure if he did extend his contract. Last I heard he was offered a new contract with a substantial salary increase.