2019 WWC Referee Discussion [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by lil_one, Dec 3, 2018.

1. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    MLS was permitted to use the shootout for a period of time, and then I believe revoked it. (The old NASL starting point was 35 yards out--which was the offside line in the old NASL.)

While I like it better, the fact that it has been around 40 years or so, including a relatively recent US revival, no one elsewhere in the world seems interested. Whether that is in the merits or because they can't stomach adopting a US idea about soccer, who knows.

2. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Garber killed it.

If you watch Once in a Lifetime, it's funny to see the foreign stars saying they liked it. Several MLS players did not.

It presents some other difficult decisions. Did either player leave early? Did the shot go off before the 5-second mark? It's a lot to take in.

3. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

While it's been a long time, if I recall correctly, Rodney Marsh was very good at it also...

4. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    No one ever gets hurt in the current shootout. The NASL style one? Seems like injuries would happen disappointingly often.

5. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That took way too long for such a clear PK in Scotland-Argentina in the 90th minute, but they got to the correct decision eventually.

6. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    This rule change for VAR / PKs is the absolute worst.

7. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now the PK is gonna be retaken. Crazy last few minutes in the Scotland - Argentina match.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  8. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Here we go again with the retaken PK in Scotland - Argentina. Ugh. Keeper doing the technique she's done her whole life.

9. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    And now after spending 5 minutes on the penalty kick VAR mess... they add a minute to the match.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  10. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Ironicallly, this retake could help Nigeria get through, who was victimized by the same call on the new VAR call the other day. Emotions are out of control in ARG-SCO now.

Ismitje and Beau Dure repped this.
  11. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahahaha. Shambolic.

kolabear and rh89 repped this.
  12. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Hopefully we get the goal line cam, because the angle showed with the VAR room was inconclusive since the keeper's foot was in the air.

kolabear repped this.
  13. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    So in the second half, four goals, two yellow cards, four substitutions all before the VAR check at the 88th minute, PK taken / saved and then VAR again, goal is scored at 90+4, kickoff at 90+5, game ended at 90+6... that's... huh.

kolabear and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  14. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    If the VAR PK retakes were your first introduction to the sport, you'd never become a fan. Miserable. 20 group games so far, and 3 of them ended with the biggest talking point being this call? And 10 of the other ones weren't close? Yuck.

Count Chocula, kolabear, rh89 and 2 others repped this.
  15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I literally don’t want to watch these games any more. And I’m a relative neutral who has loved the sport since I can remember. How is this appealing to the masses?

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

blissett and Orange14 repped this.
  17. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ball goes out of play and the restart is delayed at 86:04. PK is taken at 91:20. Play is stopped at 91:32. PK is taken at 93:15. Kickoff is taken at 93:50. Full time at 95:07.

Unreal.

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We had VAR in the Dutch league this past season and I cannot remember if there was ever a GK called for going off the line. FIFA has to come up with a solution to this as it will ruin the sport.

19. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Get rid of VAR GK encroachment reviews after the group stage and FIFA might be able to save the tournament. This is a grotesque abomination of the beautiful game.

blissett and kolabear repped this.
  20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    One on one with the GK; how is an injury going to occur??

21. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    Holy smokes! I turned the game off at 3-0 with 20 minutes left . . .

blissett repped this.
  22. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm now 100% on board with changing the Laws/VAR protocol to remove this from the scope of VAR. If the referee and AR can't call it live, then it doesn't need to be called. The Nigeria match and now this have turned the sport into a farce.

23. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    too late. They already ruined it. Maybe they can un-ruin it. But it won't happen any time soon. As much outcry as we've created here and as has come up in some media circles, can you imagine what would have already happened with everyone watching the men's world cup instead?

blissett repped this.
  24. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    FIFA will have to do a reset after the group stage with this retake of penalty kicks and with VAR? Surely? This can't continue.

Similar to what they did in the Men's World Cup. They limited the scope of VAR even more after the group stage.

At this rate, if they get a penalty shootout, it will never end...

Lloyd Heilbrunn, JasonMa and kolabear repped this.
  25. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    You're joking, right? One of the worst injuries I saw on a soccer field came on exactly that. (I was watching and heard the leg snap at midfield . . .)

Players take different tactics in the shootout--those who drive are creating potential collisions with the GK.

That doesn't make it a non-starter, but it is an actual consideration.

Ismitje and JasonMa repped this.