2019 Women's World Cup

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by firefan2001, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Like I said earlier, when analysis turns into cheerleading I find it completely obnoxious. You can be a homer and show enthusiasm without shouting “how is that not a foul”. Enthusiasm=good. Indignance=not good

2. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true. The closest I can recall to persistence of faking injuries was Brazil in the 2011 World Cup, and the women's team was roundly criticized for it. They've been on pretty good behavior in the last 2 tournaments.
    Every time I see teams circle round a referee to gripe about a call, it looks like mob bosses telling Jimmy Hoffa where he's gonna be buried.

3. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    This has gotten a little better, but it's been an obnoxious problem in MLS.

4. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Awful.

5. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I am going to collapse a lot of posts into one by saying that the PBP in this thread was done by some of the worst, least knowledgeable posters on all of BigSoccer and that says a LOT. Luckily some sane people came in at the end.

The US just won the world cup and there are some negative clowns on here talking shit. Holy moly.

6. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Not to mention, I'm not entirely sure what the point of it is. I've yet to see a ref change their mind because 7 guys surrounded him,

Elninho repped this.
  7. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    There are plenty of valid reasons to feel conflicted about this particular group of players winning the World Cup, and I don't really feel that any of the opinions espoused on the officiating and VAR throughout the tournament or the broadcast were "talking shit".

Bill Archer and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  8. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Considering I was mostly talking about you, it makes sense that you would say that.

9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's less that, more changing the next call. This is slightly different, but Gabriel Jesus doesn't get sent off for Brazil today if Messi doesn't accuse CONMEBOL of rigging the tournament.

Annoying as shit either way though.

10. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Yeah, I get the idea that constantly nagging the ref after every call makes him or her more likely to eventually call one your way because subconsciously they need to "even it out" or whatever, but that's always struck me as an ex post facto justification for just arguing individual calls.

11. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if there are refs whom players know to avoid crowding and arguing with? I can imagine there being refs known for being retaliatory. That is, whatever team, or a particular player argues annoyingly, the ref increases the chances of an adverse call for that team.

12. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I wouldn't mind if refs started handing out yellows like candy in a doctor's office for a year for stuff a lot of the gamesmanship stuff, just to get the players to back off.

What used to be a slow walk away from a deadball foul is now stand in front of the ball for 10 seconds until the refs whistle. It should a 10 yd retreat from the spot of the foul.

Elninho, ArsenalMetro, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  13. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    21,756 was the final average attendance. Attendance not yet matching the massive TV ratings.

14. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    The Copa America third place game was so cynical that I can see how it can make prime switch to the women's game. Players acted like they were out there to fight, not play. Referee should have ejected like 8 chileans because it looked like they were literally physically intimidating him. Disgraceful match.

Beau Dure repped this.
  15. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Did you see Copa America? Yeesh. If Argentina-Chile had been any other game, the ref could've picked up the ball and abandoned play.

16. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I was amazed at how uninteresting the Copa was this year. It was mostly relegated to background TV for me.

(btw, I appreciated the blog post from you today)

Ismitje and Beau Dure repped this.
  17. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the past one of the main reasons I appreciated the Women's competitions was the tendency to try and play a competitive game without the embellishment of fouls, etc. Some of that started to creep in.

Another interesting socio-cultural trend seems to be the adoption of tattoos. As someone that does not have tattoos, I thought the men's players were getting a little crazy with the phenomena. And, then I blink, and it seems like it is a growing trend for female players. Note: this is anecdotal and I did not perform an exhaustive study on the topic ;)

Ismitje and BalanceUT repped this.
  18. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do you think the announcers in the Netherlands called the game? How do you think they took the VAR call that overturned the call to a PK. Every home announcer are the same, in EVER sport. Is see no problem in how JP called the game.

BalanceUT and crookeddy repped this.
  19. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I think JP calls it too neutrally. He needs to call what he sees. If he thinks the ref is unfair toward the US that's exactly what I want to be hearing!

20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I don't want anyone who calls absolutely everything up to and including deliberate clearances a "block" telling me what's fair or not.

Also, one who says "going long..." for every pass over 20 yards.

Bill Archer repped this.
  21. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    JP wasn't the one yelling "how is that not a foul?" in the background. I have other problems with JP (getting names wrong constantly) but generally have no issue with him.

If you prefer FOX announcers to be blatant homers, to each their own. I just didn't think it added anything to the broadcast and IMO detracts from it.

22. eagercolin

eagercolin Member

Metro
    United States
    Aug 25, 2017
    Buffalo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would you want to hear something so obviously stupid?

23. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I want what I hear to match what I am seeing, not some sterilization.

24. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I want them to be more homerish. That way we can get the same passion from the broadcasts that every other country gets.

firefan2001 repped this.
  25. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004