2019 Women's World Cup - the DEEPEST ever

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by WWC_Movement, Dec 7, 2018.

1. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    The 2019 Women's World Cup is the deepest World Cup ever.
    Truthfully, there are never more than 8 Gold Medal contenders in any World Cup.
    Until now.

There are now 9 nations who are realistically capable of winning a Gold Medal.
    And 13 total nations capable of getting to the Semifinal and winning a Bronze Medal.

Gold Medal Contenders
    USA
    Germany
    France
    England
    Canada
    Australia
    Netherlands
    Japan
    Sweden

Additional Bronze Medal Contenders (Semifinal Contenders)
    Brazil
    Spain
    Norway
    China

Additional Round of 16 Contenders (with an outside shot at a Quarterfinal)
    Italy
    Scotland
    New Zealand
    South Korea
    Nigeria
    Cameroon

All Others - Trying to get any Result or an Upset in Group Play
    South Africa
    Thailand
    Jamaica
    Argentina
    Chile

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  2. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Germany as gold medal contenders... as much as I’d like them to be competitive in the WC, I doubt it’s gonna happen lol :thumbsdown: With Hrubesch still coaching I’d been more optimistic but now we have MVT so let’s see what’s gonna happen then... I mean, will the best players actually play under her or will the stay on the bench/left home like we saw under Jones? :confused:

I’d love France to succeed, especially because of how good Renard is and I feel like she’s been let down almost every tournament of things she couldn’t do much about

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  3. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    In soccer Germany is always a contender, regardless of gender an age group. Their chances to win can vary but is always big enough that they can not be discounted.

Mojo Jambo repped this.
  4. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Holy cow the things I’ve seen from Germany this year suggests that they look much better than under Jones but now they get a new coach... she might surprise me but considering that she was head coach of a Swiss team that couldn’t qualify for the WC in a group where Wales I believe was their toughest competitor doesn’t look too good to me :rolleyes:

5. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    As a die hard Brazil fan for both men's and women's teams, I think in Group C, we should come out runners up to the Matilda's(Aussies), but I don't see us getting past the 2nd round!! A very sad end for Marta!!:(

6. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    So if the name's Germany, you'll be a contender
    alright
    I mean the women's team been so poor the last years and 2nd in the FIFA rankings is just a delusion of what the team really can do lol
    So if the coaches for once can pick the 11 best players to play and play them in a system that makes sense/works, maybe they can surprise as there's some unbelievable talented players in Germany

7. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Nothing to do with the name everything to do with the history, playerbase and organization. Those three are sound in Germany everything else is possible (but perhaps not easy) to change in a fairly short timefram.

Same crocodile tears as the Germans fans had before the Euro 2014.
    Germans fans claiming that their team has no chance just don't have any credibility after that.

8. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Have you watched Germany the last years...? :whistling::thumbsdown:

9. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    ?????????????
    do you mean the men's 2014 World Cup?. Germany usually wins it after every 20 year cycle(so they were long overdue. They did have a ton of players in their prime & Jorige still had his full mental capabilities in tact(obviously something he didn't have in Russia!
    it was Scotland that beat them in group play. Even though the Scots are only ranked #20th, their CB combo of Beattie & Corsie should be ranked top 10 plus they've got one of the best attacking mids in the business in Kim Littl Other notables, former Bundi & decent winger, Lisa Evans. Former top scoring leaders in the English league, Ross & Weir. Exciting newbies, Esmile & Chubard(spell check). I've always been surprised that they haven't previously done better, glad they finally made it

10. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Lets thinkm logicla here for a moment.
    I write Euro 2014. SInce there was no European chamionship in Soccer 2014, there must be a mistake in the written.
    So either I wrote Euro when I meant WC, not a very easy mistake to do. And a bit odd to cahnge a WoSO to BroSo withot mentioning it.
    Or I wrote 2014 when I meant 2013, which is a more easy mistake to do.
    Women's Euro 2013 in Sweden, I should have written to to make it clear.

11. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    You probably believe that Babett Peter is Germany’s best centerback xD

12. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    You know, Germany's a team that deserved to go home after a dreadful match against Denmark in the QFs of the Euro's with the worst coach I've ever witnessed. Then somehow losing to Iceland 3-1 the same year before DFB finally took responsibility and fired the mess called Jones. Then they hired Hrubesch as an interim coach but not to actually lead them to the WC where they finally landed on MVT but she had to coach Switzerland so she wasn't available before the last month like 8 months prior to the WC

So if Germany could win the WC with a coach who's coached the team for 8 months, I'd genuinely be surprised - If Hrubesch were leading them to the WC, I'd have some faith and hope really

SO I see that Germany has a very favourable road to the SFs so they might end up in the top four again if the coaches actually play the best players available which in a 4-2-3-1 system would look like:

Maier, Elsig/Doorsoun, Demann/Doorsoun, Simon
    Hendrich, Leupolz
    Huth, Marozsan, Däbritz
    Popp

I mean, how this formation hasn't ONCE been tried blows my mind
    Instead, we've watched the legendary backline: Blässe, Peter, Henning, Kerschowski

13. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Germany has a lot of good players, and certainly some good young players, but they do need to find a better striker than Alexandra Poop.

14. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I’d move Popp back to midfield where she’s excellent
    But Babett Peter is finally not nominated so I’ll give Germany a chance to qualify from their group now! :thumbsup: