2019 Week 7 MLS Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by ManiacalClown, Apr 10, 2019.

1. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    So Diego Costa got 8 games in Spain for insulting the referee's mother.

Yet this guy almost took a fan's head off and almost started the MLS' own version of Malice in the Palace and he gets, essentially, a VC or SFP red card suspension in Europe (three games).

Remarkable.

JasonMa repped this.
  2. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also the same suspension Dempsey got for destroying the referees notebook. It's really a joke.

3. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The real joke is MLS continuing to make the starting point for SFP and VC send-offs one game. If the standard was three games like in England, then an additional two games would make it a five game suspension.

Three games for what Kaku did is ridiculous. He's REALLY lucky the fan wasn't seriously injured, and his suspension is half of Dempsey's suspension for ripping up a notebook.

GoDawgsGo and JasonMa repped this.
  4. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Dempsey's suspension was for six games.

5. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like it was three MLS matches plus six matches or two years of Open Cup games.

JasonMa repped this.
  6. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    Hmmm next time predict, divide by 2, and round down.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 games is a joke and an insult. As pointed out, this isn't even in line with things like the Howard incident, much less Clark or Mullan.

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    At first I thought it was three brought up to five. Its only three? As a RBNY fan, I'm tickled, but that is way too lenient. I was expecting between 6-8.

9. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlike most other professional leagues, MLS still sets the standard bar for VC and SFP reds at one game. The supplemental discipline is added to the one-game suspension. I'm not sure about the other "big four" European leagues, but England's standard VC/SFP punishment is three games. Now I believe that England's punishments can extend to any FA-sanctioned games, so a player receiving a straight red for VC/SFP in the Premier League can also miss Carabao Cup or FA Cup games. Since MLS is not as intertwined with USSF as the EPL is with the FA, I think they couldn't do something similar.

I do think VC/SFP needs to be two or three games to be more in line with the punishments in England. That would hopefully crack down on some of the bad stuff we see in the league.

10. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any discussion of the lack of the three-match auto-ban for SFP/VC is a distraction, in my opinion. It should have nothing to do with what happened here.

Kaku indiscriminately assaulted a fan with a ball, striking the fan in the head and reportedly leaving him bloodied. The outcome could have been so much worse. The punishment doesn't fit the crime, period.

If you want to introduce a bunch of mitigating factors and assert he was actually just dissenting and he meant to hit the sign board and he apologized, etc.... fine, go ahead. But those types of factors should be bring an otherwise lengthy suspension down to the 8-10 game range, in my opinion (whereas a premeditated attack should be something like a season-long ban).

Debating two additional games on top of the auto one-match versus two additional games on top of the traditional auto three-match is accepting MLS' apparent position that this was slightly worse than your average straight red card. It wasn't. It was a lot worse.

JasonMa repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. MLS has made this equivalent to Tim Howard's "your mother" insult which, come on. Yes, both involved interactions with fans but "sticks and stones" here. There is no legitimate way to defend this as anything else than a complete failure by the league and RBNY.

12. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree at all. The penalty should have been 8-10 games, as I've stated before. Unfortunately, the realistic thought process of many disciplinary committees is to take the "standard punishment" and tack on additional punishment on top of that. It's not right, but it's often reality.

It's lazy thinking to dole out punishments like that, but it is what it is. This penalty just screams "Two games of supplemental punishment on top of the standard red card punishment." That's reality, regardless of whether it's the right way to think about it.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting take on this from Twitter. How many games would he have gotten if he had smashed the ball and hit the AR (intentionally or not)? Months, right? Why is a fan any different? Arguably hitting a fan could be considered worse.

sitruc repped this.
  14. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a plausible argument was made that he did so unintentionally? I bet two games. That's where the evidence points for me.

GlennAA11, jarbitro and JasonMa repped this.
  15. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't that happen a few years ago? I can't remember the details, but I thought a guy blasted AR1 after a close in/out call. He got a caution, iirc

16. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    I wanna say it was Brek Shae? Which is funny to me cause a couple years later he was sent off for saying "******** off" to the center ref I believe.

jarbitro repped this.
  17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  18. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    jarbitro repped this.
  19. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So turns out that the MLS did follow their precedent. 3 games for kicking the ball at the AR, three games for kicking it at a fan. Obviously both are pretty lame.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

GlennAA11 repped this.