2019 Week 20 Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by ManiacalClown, Jul 18, 2019.

1. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Dwyer got a total of two games for his blatant and vicious elbow (one game additional) and an additional fine for failing to leave the field.

I doubt Ibra gets suspended. There is enough subjectivity and wiggle room there to support a no red card.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  2. tog

tog Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Seattle
  3. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm probably more draconian than most. I don't see a problem at all or a reason this would generate discussion here. It's a pretty straightforward yellow card. Contact with the lead leg is low on the toe/foot. Contact with the second leg is negligible and there's no follow-through. And the tackled player gets up immediately, so it doesn't seem like his safety was that endangered.

To the extent there's any "scissors" action here, almost all of it has to do with the fact that the Seattle player sees the challenge coming and deliberately places more of his body in between the tackle and the ball than there otherwise would have been. Now, he has a right to do so. And it's definitely a bad challenge. But there's nothing in the nature of this challenge that makes it a red card. The first time I saw this, it looked like the Seattle player was trying to make this worse than it was or was going to be--I say that both due to how he moves to ensure there is more contact and how he immediately reacts. It still looks that way the next day.

refinDC repped this.
  4. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UEFA would call that a 6 or 7 on their scale. Right in the middle of reckless.

seattlebeach repped this.
  5. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd

Marrufo's approach has obviously given him a lot of success and there is a reason why he gets put on the biggest games in MLS, but I've never seen a referee just go out of his way to not give second cautions or red cards no matter how obvious it is or put on a platter it is for him. It's quite remarkable. I've never seen a referee just swallow his cards on such obvious decisions.

Take the no call on Vela just outside the box. It's such an easy foul call and such an easy caution to give. 100% he's calling the foul and giving a card if the defender is not on a caution. Why would Vela go down there? He's got a clear path into the penalty area with numbers in his favor. It's laughable and the commentary from the Instant Replay is even more comical about that incident.

He did something similar in a game last year where he gave another player a caution instead of one sitting on a yellow who deserved it.

You're a World Cup referee with over 200 games in the league and you just go above and beyond to keep some no name left back in the game.

At least to save some credibility, he gives a goal kick instead of calling the foul and not issuing the card. It's unbelievable. It's really match manipulation.

Also, the commentary from Warshaw and Weibe is as bad as ever. Some of the stuff is just laughably wrong.

GlennAA11 repped this.
  6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually love the call. You can make an argument that he had numbers, but Vela clearly goes looking for the foul. He's dragging his foot before contact ever occurs. He's looking to get his opponent sent off. That red card and man advantage is preferable to a (somewhat dubious) 3 v 2 from the wing. Professional players aren't idiots. You can say Marrufo would give the caution and foul if it was a first one, but then I don't think Vela goes looking for the contact in that case.

Vela is good at this. It's how he drew the penalty. But with the penalty he moves the ball and baits the goalkeeper into a clear foul; you can't avoid calling that and it was stupid from the goalkeeper because he took a careless swing with Vela going away from goal. But this? Much different for me. Vela is deliberately trying to get his opponent sent off as cheaply as possible. We shouldn't be rewarding that unless the foul is crystal clear and I don't think it was here.

The lack of foul call on challenge on Corona and the lack of a foul call on the Ibrahimovic elbow were big misses. I think those are your complaints on Marrufo in this match.

Q*bert Jones III and Ismitje repped this.
  7. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A note on the DisCo: if El-Munir was unable to return to the pitch, the disciplinary review is automatic. If he came back on the field, even for a moment, the automatic review is nullified, although the DisCo still has the discretion to look at it anyway.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  8. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Don't feel like creating a separate thread, but as @MassachusettsRef said, Alan Kelly was VAR on the Chicago vs. Cruz Azul match in Chicago and Kevin Stott was AVAR on the match in Los Angeles.

9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I created a separate thread for the tournament because there was some interesting stuff in the Galaxy match, at least!

10. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    as expected MLS takes no action against Zlatan for breaking his opponent's face

11. FootyPDX

FootyPDX Member

Portland Timbers
    England
    Nov 21, 2017
    Shocking, the organization that named him player of the week thinks it's ok for him to assault someone? I guess the official warning will be enough since he's never had a history of brutally attacking other players

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1154539240329379840 is not a valid tweet id

(In 2016 Gashi was suspended a game for entering the field celebrating a last second goal)

sitruc repped this.
  13. Midwest Ref

Midwest Ref Member

Jul 25, 2002
    The policy has changed since then. Back then, it was a black or white issue. Did he enter the field? If yes, then it was an automatic suspension. League felt that was too harsh, so there are now options for fines and warnings for incidents that are not egregious or confrontational. If a player steps on the field during a fight, for example, he would most likely be suspended. Goal celebration is normally a fine.

sitruc, Ismitje and JasonMa repped this.
  14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah since I posted that I was digging into the discipline rules for another reason (seeing if the rule about not serving suspension while on Nats duty was still in effect) and found that rule change about entering the field.