2019 Week 19 MLS Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by ManiacalClown, Jul 10, 2019.

1. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I genuinely agree with most of your points on this forum and I think you bring a lot of good insight, but you have this weird obsession with semantics in seemingly all these debates.

Your general point is just wrong. You can't gain any real or valuable experience by sitting home and watching video and saying to yourself "I recommend a review for a penalty kick." Being VAr is nothing like refereeing a match where experience at lower levels can prepare you for higher levels.

With VAR, it's all or nothing when it comes to gaining experience. You become ready to do VAR by being VAR or maybe AVAR. Watching videos doesn't come close.

There is no other substitute or gradual progression for experience like there is, say, in being an MLS referee. You can do international friendlies, pre-season games, USL games, Open Cup games, etc that can get you prepared to do an MLS middle.

2. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I think there is a bit more you can get--not from just watching videos, but from a more true mock. I'm under the impression that they have done something like that as part of the training--run the full game (or parts of games) through the VAR system so that the VAR team is acting as a VAR, manipulating the videos on the consoles, and talking to a with a pretend referee and possibly AR as they do reviews. That's much more than just watching videos and will help when the VAR actually does a game. But it is also much less than being a VAR.

Sport Billy repped this.
  3. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Well, I had two people essentially claim I'm arguing something differently than I clearly stated.

But I really don't understand how viewing videos of gameplay, giving an opinion what violations, if any, you saw, and then having someone with more experience review your interpretations with you wouldn't offer tremendous experience.

I've done the computer videos test of offside situations and then had my opinions reviewed by a much higher level AR. It was a great experience.

My point is that getting actual game experience may be difficult. We can still move the process along through videos + instruction.

I would think if you had two people assigned to VAR, the one that had reviewed hours of video, gave opinions, was reviewed, is in a far better position than the one who had not.

4. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    You actually thought they’d be banned for that? I doubt they even failed their assessment.

5. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019

Just a thought, can you imagine a coach saying something like this about a player? Of course not, they defend their players to the death.

6. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see any way to read that quote other than an admission that Kelly lied to the pool reporter.

You know who never lied in public about any particularly controversial incident he may have been involved with this season? Ted Unkel.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  7. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll note I’ve been skeptical since the beginning.

I just can’t believe PRO has said nothing officially, given past practices. But maybe they just realized Kelly put them in an impossible spot.

The only good scenario left is that the quote in this tweet is not properly contextualized. Still not a great scenario. But it might mitigate the consequences a bit from “lying.”

8. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, true. We should wait for the complete quote or other statement before passing final judgment.

9. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    If I was Kelly I'd be pissed and about to give that English ponce a Glasgow smile.

Glasgows in Ireland right?

10. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Pity Martinez would like a word ...

12. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Sure it does.
    As I’ve been saying all along, acknowledging they screwed up is what NYC really wanted.

To make it clear, Kelly didn’t lie. He said he communicated verbally. He didn’t say to whom he communicated. This does make Kelly appear less than trustworthy.

13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You really believe this?

Correct. As I noted at the time, if the language used in the pool report answers was the best honest answer he could give, it wasn't good.

That said, "I'm not a liar, I'm just not trustworthy," isn't exactly the place a professional referee wants to find himself in with teams (not to mention the press, his employer, and fans in general).

14. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

15. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Can you now clarify your position since they are admitting error?

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be 100% accurate, Kelly did verbally indicate it was a throw-in, which is what he answered. He just verbally indicated it to the AR, not the players. ;)

17. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    See the follow up quote from him though - the question was - was it verbally communicated to NYC players. The answer to that question should have been "no".

18. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    He may have thought that his verbal indication to the AR was good enough for the players...

But hindsight with video and listening to the comms might've told him otherwise.

19. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Most definitely. These players/coaches have been in this game their entire lives. How many times do you think they've seen a referee in a professional game change his call after dissent? zero. They know he's not going to change his call. They want him to acknowledge that his actions screwed them.

20. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Mr. Butler doesn't read well.

He said he communicated verbally. He did not say "to the players".

We know he communicated to the AR or the AR would have been waving his flag like crazy when the ball was thrown in. If he communicated with the players, even verbally, there probably wouldn't have been a problem.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Convincing you otherwise is going to be hopeless, so I’ll just make my point once.

In this case, if Kelly admitted error it was perfectly lawful for him to go back to the prior restart. They were trying to get him to disallow the goal. Believing otherwise seems incredibly naive to me. They didn’t want an apology. They wanted a do-over and the score 1-1.

As for the idea that players dissent to get acknowledged... I think I’d put that fourth on the list, at best. Referees do change their calls when alerted to major screw ups, so when “dissent” occurs to bring attention to such a screw up, yes, getting the referee to change his decision is the #1 priority in such cases. Letting off steam/frustration and setting a referee up to give you the next borderline call are probably #2 and #3 on the dissent “purpose” list—to the extent dissent is purposeful. Getting an acknowledgment/apology at the professional level as a top purpose of dissent? I don’t think you’d believe that if you’ve refereed a lot of these games. Those sort of human moments and understanding do not come out of situations like this.

22. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    That's a very generous interpretation. I think it's pretty clear he just had a brainfart on the whole thing.

Not sure what you mean by "doesn't read well". He asked a question - was it communicated to NYC players - and was told he communicated it verbally. It's splitting hairs to say that's not a lie.

The AR looked fairly surprised to me - but recognized that Kelly was letting it continue. Maybe it was communicated, but from what I've seen, the evidence seems to suggest otherwise.

23. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    The big problem was after the game. They were not trying to get him to reverse anything. He couldn't. They wanted acknowledgment.
    I don't think you factor in that these players are human. They know post-game nothing can change. But they want someone to acknowledge that they were screwed.

24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The defense of Kelly--both in-match and post-match--is mind-numbing.

It was pretty clear right from the beginning what happened:

1. He lost concentration/focus
    2. He realized the error and consequent confusion at a point where he felt it was too late to credibly fix (as a perhaps slightly worse alternative, he realized it somewhat quickly but thought it would be minor--so long as a goal wasn't scored)
    3. He gave the best possible cover-your-ass answer to a very good pool report question

That's it. That's what happened. Everything else is a sideshow. Whether the goal really wouldn't have been scored, whether it was objectively a corner or a throw-in, whether NYCFC wanted an apology or a do-over. From a refereeing job performance perspective, it all comes down to the three things above. And all three are black marks for Kelly. You can debate how bad each one is on their own and how bad a screw up this is overall and whether or not it's worse than some other episode.

But defending him on these points? C'mon.

Ismitje, seattlebeach, jarbitro and 3 others repped this.
  25. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Out of curiousity, if he had made them take the thrown in again, would you have taken issue with that?

MassachusettsRef repped this.