2019 Week 14 MLS Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by ManiacalClown, May 29, 2019.

1. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    05/29/19

Atlanta United vs Minnesota United
    Mercedes-Benz Stadium (7PM ET)
    REF: Alex Chilowicz
    AR1: Frank Anderson
    AR2: Gjovalin Bori
    4TH: Ted Unkel
    VAR: Jorge Gonzalez
    AVAR: Jozef Batko

Montreal Impact vs Real Salt Lake
    Saputo Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Fotis Bazakos
    AR1: CJ Morgante
    AR2: Claudiu Badea
    4TH: Pierre-Luc Lauziere
    VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
    AVAR: Gianni Facchini

Philadelphia Union vs Colorado Rapids
    Talen Energy Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Tim Ford
    AR1: Brian Dunn
    AR2: Logan Brown
    4TH: Rubiel Vazquez
    VAR: Sorin Stoica
    AVAR: Tom Felice

D.C. United vs Chicago Fire
    Audi Field (8PM ET)
    REF: Armando Villarreal
    AR1: Apolinar Mariscal
    AR2: Ian McKay
    4TH: Matt Franz
    VAR: Geoff Gamble
    AVAR: Jeff Muschik

Sporting Kansas City vs LA Galaxy
    Children’s Mercy Park (8:30PM ET)
    REF: Robert Sibiga
    AR1: Ian Anderson
    AR2: Eduardo Mariscal
    4TH: Luis Guardia
    VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
    AVAR: Peter Balciunas

05/31/19

Vancouver Whitecaps vs Toronto FC
    BC Place (10PM ET)
    REF: Jair Marrufo
    AR1: Jeff Hosking
    AR2: Micheal Barwegen
    4TH: Elijio Arreguin
    VAR: Jon Freemon
    AVAR: Mauricio Navarro

06/01/19

Montreal Impact vs Orlando City
    Saputo Stadium (5PM ET)
    REF: Christopher Penso
    AR1: Brian Poeschel
    AR2: Philippe Briere
    4TH: Marcos DeOliveira
    AVAR: Peter Balciunas

Atlanta United vs Chicago Fire
    Mercedes-Benz Stadium (6PM ET)
    REF: Nima Saghafi
    AR1: Adam Wienckowski
    AR2: CJ Morgante
    4TH: Fotis Bazakos
    VAR: Ricardo Salazar
    AVAR: Jeff Muschik

New York Red Bulls vs Real Salt Lake
    Red Bull Arena (7PM ET)
    REF: Armando Villarreal
    AR1: Logan Brown
    AR2: Tom Felice
    4TH: Elton Garcia
    VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
    AVAR: Craig Lowry

Columbus Crew vs New York City FC
    MAPFRE Stadium (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Joe Dickerson
    AR1: Jeremy Hanson
    AR2: Jose Da Silva
    4TH: Rubiel Vazquez
    VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
    AVAR: Walter Heatherly

FC Dallas vs Seattle Sounders
    Toyota Stadium (8PM ET)
    REF: Baldomero Toledo
    AR1: Apolinar Mariscal
    AR2: Adam Garner
    4TH: Alejandro Mariscal
    VAR: Chico Grajeda
    AVAR: Jonathan Johnson

D.C. United vs San Jose Earthquakes
    Audi Field (8PM ET)
    REF: Tim Ford
    AR1: Jeffrey Greeson
    AR2: TJ Zablocki
    4TH: Ramy Touchan
    VAR: Jorge Gonzalez
    AVAR: Robert Schaap

Colorado Rapids vs FC Cincinnati
    Dick’s Sporting Goods Park (8:30PM ET)
    REF: Ted Unkel
    AR1: Ian Anderson
    AR2: Andrew Bigelow
    4TH: Farhad Dadkho
    VAR: Younes Marrakchi
    AVAR: Jozef Batko

Houston Dynamo vs Sporting Kansas City
    BBVA Compass Stadium (8:30PM ET)
    REF: Kevin Stott
    AR1: Claudiu Badea
    AR2: Diego Blas
    4TH: Dave Gantar
    VAR: Malik Badawi
    AVAR: Eric Weisbrod

Portland Timbers vs Los Angeles FC
    Providence Park (10:30PM ET)
    REF: Robert Sibiga
    AR1: Frank Anderson
    AR2: Nick Uranga
    4TH: Victor Rivas
    VAR: Jon Freemon
    AVAR: Joshua Patlak

06/02/19

Minnesota United vs Philadelphia Union
    Allianz Field (4PM ET)
    REF: Allen Chapman
    AR1: Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho
    AR2: Gianni Facchini
    4TH: Kevin Broadley
    AVAR: Ian McKay

LA Galaxy vs New England Revolution
    Dignity Health Sports Park (10:30PM ET)
    REF: Alex Chilowicz
    AR1: Brian Dunn
    AR2: Jeremy Kieso
    4TH: Ismir Pekmic
    VAR: Dave Gantar
    AVAR: Cameron Blanchard

2. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notes: 1st whistle of the season for Kevin Stott, MLS debuts for Elijio Arreguin and Walter Heatherly, first AR assignment for Tom Felice.

frankieboylampard repped this.
  3. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    You have to think this could be Stott's last season on the field. He has been struggling to pass the fitness test which is just understandable due to his age.

Still absolutely quite remarkable that he will continue his streak of being on the field for every MLS season ever.

4. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Ted Unkel finally out of 4th Official jail

5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So part of me asks “how do you not send off Hamid for what he did on the game-tying goal tonight?”

But another part of me responds “how do you send off a goalkeeper for a foul as he concedes a goal?”

Then I realize the part of me responding lives in the past, in an era where we weren’t hyper-sensitive to head injuries. Also in an era without video review.

In the here and now, I just don’t know how a professional officiating crew doesn’t draw a line there. It’s a deliberate blow to the head well after the ball is gone. There’s no excuse. “Well it’s 3-3 now and the goal is punishment enough” doesn’t cut it anymore. And I say that as someone who would have likely fallen back on that argument through much of my career.

https://mls.app.link/5rnYoXSi6W

IASocFan and Scrabbleship repped this.
  6. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was far from impressed with the challenge. It really looked like Hamid lined him up.

7. WrathofDog

WrathofDog Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Mar 12, 2019
    Interesting discussion around the crazy flurry of activity in Guzan's triple "save" in last night's AUFC v. Minnesota game. https://streamable.com/ee89k

Between a handball/ball to hand that could have ended the play after the initial save and the ball possibly crossing the line before Guzan's final control - seemed like a whole lot for VAR to take a look at. There was a bit of delay after it all sorted out, but appeared that VAR and Saghafi were ok with the no goal result and did so very quickly.

Would be interesting to know what all they looked at / thought about. Also begs the question, "Why is MLS leading the way with VAR, but not doing goal line technology?"

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing for VAR to look at in that situation is goal/no-goal. If they determine no-goal, that's it. Nothing else matters.

If they had determined the ball had crossed the line, then you start working backward. First they'd have to check the handball situation to see if it was a clear foul in the attacking APP. If they determine that isn't a clear foul, then they'd have to go back to the close offside decision right before that.

Obviously they determined the ball did not cross the line (because, otherwise, Chilowicz would have either awarded the goal or been called to an OFR to assess either of the two situations above). Knowing some of the available camera angles and taking into account Chilowicz's position, I can imagine they were pretty confident in that assessment.

But yes, it does make you wonder about MLS and GLT.

Ismitje repped this.
  9. oldmanreferee

oldmanreferee Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Mountain View, ca
    he does not even make a play on the ball. How is this not Violent Conduct.

10. WrathofDog

WrathofDog Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Mar 12, 2019
    I didn't think of that, thanks. There are a lot of cameras in MBS, it's likely VAR had a goal line view that wasn't shown on broadcast and the slight delay was a "never crossed the line".

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  11. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    VR is sexy; GLT is boring. VR gets used (in varying degrees) in every game; GLT matters very rarely. (Is there another MLS instance this year where it would have mattered?) And VR can (sort of) do what GLT does. I think all together it makes it pretty easy to decide to spend the money on VR and not GLT. (And I say that as someone who likes GLT and hates VR.)

12. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I thought VAR was supposed to reduce dissent. Pretty farcical scenes. Guzan screaming at Chilowicz for handling, I'm assuming, while he already made the save and then the Minnesota attacker chasing after him saying that the ball crossed the line.

Asking for a dissent card while the ball is in play is a tough ask there especially in the age of VAR where you look pretty silly if your decision is overturned.

VAR has essentially ended referees giving cards for dissent on big decisions as they plead to the players that it's being checked, but VAR hasn't actually reduced the amount of dissent by players.

13. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Villarreal is never giving that. I can see maybe Toledo giving and maybe Elfath and that's about it in MLS.

The fact Hamid doesn't even earn at least a yellow is pretty ridiculous. It's at minimum reckless.

14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAR has had good moments and it's working a lot better in MLS that it is in many other competitions, but it seems like we're settling into a zone where a lot of the "I told you so" things from skeptics are happening. The U20s are not helping and FIFA just has to be thankful there's not a lot of attention on that tournament generally (and almost none in Brazil, Germany and England). The WWC could make it worse, unless Makkelie-Irrati-Vigliano save the day again.

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Old habits die hard and I agree with you, essentially. But Gamble is probably one of the best VARs in MLS; I'd be very surprised if he didn't at least look very closely at it.

The bottom line, when you take the individual officials out of it, is that you can't seriously say governing bodies care about head injuries if they are allowing their referees to not sanction this behavior. If you don't want to criticize the individual referees in this moment, fine. But this has to be a teaching opportunity. That play cannot happen again. The DisCo suspending Hamid would be a good step, otherwise the entire league has sanctioned Hamid's act and you can't put that back in the bag.

16. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I really think how the EPL does VAR next year might be the line of demarcation for VAR.

There is a reason the EPL was the last major league to implement it and there is a reason they aren't doing OFRs in the EPL. The English love game flow and don't like delays and I can't imagine the public will be accepting of some these reviews of four or five minutes like we are seeing in MLS sometimes and in the U20s.

If VAR turns sour in the EPL, which there is a good chance of happening, and they maybe decide that the headaches aren't worth the positive results every now and then and they decide to scrap VAR (highly unlikely again) then maybe other competitions decide to follow suit.

I genuinely don't believe that VAR has added that much to the game. There have been some positive moments, but overall I think the game can go on without it.

17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're right in principle, but I think they are going to be a lot less accepting of VARs making decisions on their own that lack a feel for the game. Unless VARs are just unilaterally extraordinarily conservative, I can't see how the "no OFRs" protocol will work well. And if VARs are that conservative in England, you'll get commentators saying "what's the point?" a lot more than they have been elsewhere.

The FA might have been crazy like a fox by waiting. I actually think they've backed themselves into a corner where VAR is ubiquitous enough that certain expectations already exist and the FA isn't prepared to deliver on them.

GlennAA11 repped this.
  18. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you guys see Alex's position on this play? He was on the goal line. Honestly, I'd trust his decision more than triangulated VAR goal line at this point. That was a great piece of refereeing...I'm glad VAR didn't mess it up.

19. WrathofDog

WrathofDog Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Mar 12, 2019
    I hadn't really noticed the way he stuck with that play, getting closer and closer to the action without getting in the way. The slight delay in restarting on the throw in may well have been just a matter of the distance to the ball out and nothing to do with VAR at all.

20. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Crazy to think he’s a year older than mike dean.

21. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently PRO has chosen to reach out and apologize to DCU because Calvo was offside and the game-tying goal should have been reviewed and disallowed. Glad to see the focus on player safety after Hamid tried to take Calvo's head off. Oh wait.

IASocFan, JasonMa and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  22. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So IDFK coming out and Hamid sent off? Hockey has gotten very serious about the illegal check to the head. It's the defenders job to make sure the head isn't the main point of contact. In soccer it's the defenders job to not put their studs into the opponents leg. Why is it so crazy to tell the keeper it's their job to not punch an opponent in the head?

On the other hand, this is a pretty rough miss by the VAR. Although to be fair, before I put the line in it looked a lot closer.

[​IMG]

23. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think your line is quite in the right spot, but regardless because of the position close to the top of the six, it's clear and obvious that Calvo's foot is closer than the defender's feet or shoulders. Wherever the line should be.

24. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But yes, I think the best call here would be offside and a red card to Hamid for VC.

socal lurker and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  25. bluetooner

bluetooner Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Carteret NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland