2019 Week 10 MLS Referee Discussion

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by ManiacalClown, May 1, 2019.

1. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Trapp handball was actually the third overall review (second on field).

The first was for the Trapp foul (or whatever it was) since the restart was at midfield.

There was a second review after DC scored shortly after the first on field review. Unkel was on his mic a solid 2 minutes before it was deemed a good goal.

The third was Trapp's handball. I'm not sure how he avoided a 2CT for that, or how Unkel missed it originally.

There was ANOTHER on field review in the 2nd half for potential handling on United's Birnbaum. That was ruled to not be handling.

Unkel's 2nd half was better than his 1st. The VAR reviews in that half took forever, and his foul recognition seemed off.

sitruc repped this.
  2. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Caleb Porter statements after the game.

3. jarbitro

jarbitro Member+

Mar 13, 2003
    N'Djamena, Tchad
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hearing that Unkel had 8 minutes for reviews, and added only four minutes? Wonder if that's really what happened? 6+2 is the word on the street. I didn't see the game, but looks like people here did. Was that review really six minutes? What did he add?

4. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He added 4. I did not time all the reviewing.

5. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    8 minutes of reviewing is about right...with 4 minutes added to the first half and 3 to the second, which I think he blew early...The second review was needlessly long for the Acosta offside review, I feel....

sitruc repped this.
  6. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just as a note for clarity:

There were two on-field reviews and two extended checks (finger to the ear without going to the monitor).

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  7. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could have sworn Unkel went to the monitor for the Birnbaum review in the 2nd half.

8. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't remember that, but you could be right. I was at work while this was all going on.

9. oldmanreferee

oldmanreferee Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Mountain View, ca
    He might be since his wife is going to WWC as a rules analyst!
    Wonder how she would analysis that Trifling foul. I mean I know VAR has ability to get involved if they are careless fouls but if that is a foul he should have had about 50 more fouls.

10. oldmanreferee

oldmanreferee Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Mountain View, ca
    did they do a ofr for the Acosta goal? why? or did i misread that?

11. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No on field review but there was definitely a lengthy check to see if Acosta was offside (he was when Rooney served up the free kick but not when he scored the goal).

12. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I double checked and you were right - he didn't go to the monitor for the potential Birnbaum handling. I could have sworn he did, but what do I know (and I was at the game!).

13. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, he probably needs it. He's had a rough couple of weeks. May be best to let him clear his head a little bit. It can happen to anyone in any walk of life and work. A week or two off might be the best thing for him, plus it can give some of the younger officials a chance to work games.

14. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless something changes, he won't be having any time off soon. In fact, you'll see him a lot in May. Plus, the "younger officials" are getting plenty of opportunity to work games right now!

I also think the audio and video from this weekend is going to vindicate Unkel, to an extent. If PRO is transparent, this isn't going to end up being what a lot of fans probably think it was. From a procedural perspective, everything is going to look pretty good.

The big question PRO will have to answer is on intervention threshold, particularly given its conclusion on Minnesota-DCU. But that falls on the VAR--not the referee.

15. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I certainly hope that's the case. It would be nice to clear up a lot of that. I just know after the Seattle game where he clearly wasn't happy with himself (or at least not happy with the situation) regarding the PK/DFK - DOGSO situation and then this situation, he's been in the headlines a lot more than officials like to be in the headlines.

16. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    Do you really think that matters? Everyone is really pissed off and the last time Unkel had a big controversy he got Doxxed. The fans and coaches will just see it as PRO defending their guy, they're too angry to see reason anymore.

17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Matters," how?

If the question is "will something PRO does actually placate aggrieved fans?" then the answer is "of course not." Nothing really matters if that's the standard.

If the question is "did Unkel objectively screw this up and is this a situation where he needs to get thrown under the bus?" then yeah, I think what actually happened here matters and the facts are going to make him look pretty good. Not perfect, but pretty good.

Still think PRO will say this shouldn't have been overturned, but the focus will be on the threshold for intervention--not whether or not this is a foul.

18. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    You're right about the fans, I wonder if there's a tipping point to where if he keeps making mistakes coaches start black listing him.

The Legitimacy of PRO is kind of important though, I don't see how the mooing mob can be ignored forever. Especially if they've proven to have no qualms about posting personal info about referees.

19. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
  20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nevermind. I think PRO is going to go in a different direction on this. I'll shut up for a bit and watch how things play out the rest of this week.

LampLighter repped this.
  21. LampLighter

LampLighter Red Card

Bugeaters FC
    Apr 13, 2019
    That sounds sooo intriguing that I'm certain it's not.

22. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas

Here you go, at about 4:12 into the video clip. Called back due to by a foul by Dallas.

23. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    that's really painful to watch. It's a shame MLS can't do better than this.

24. seattlebeach

seattlebeach Member

AFC Richmond
    May 11, 2015
    Not Seattle, Not Beach
    I will simply note that PRO has regularly publicly (via Twitter/their site) named the MLS referees on for the upcoming week on Tuesday midday (around noon PT), about two hours after announcing the referees for USL Championship. No MLS announcement today.

JasonMa repped this.
  25. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's interesting since there are 4 games tonight, but you can at least get most of the info for tonight's games off MLS's website.

According to the MLS site, Unkel is the 4O for Chicago v New England.