2019 USWNT

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by puttputtfc, Feb 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    It's a World Cup year and there is a mini tournament now. Thought it deserved a thread.

2. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will we be any good?

3. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Not sure. We tied a Japan team yesterday that was far from full strength. I can see us bombing out early in France but I'm not sure I can see us winning the whole thing. I'm not betting on us.

4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Do we still have the same group of older women keeping the younger ones out?

5. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Pretty much. I'm not a fan of the contracts and think they do far more harm than good on multiple levels.

6. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were many steps up from Japan in the first half. Didn't watch the second.

7. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    I dunno but She Believes...

chr1st repped this.
  8. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Worst. Name. Ever. For. Anything.

9. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Second half was much closer. What's worrying is Japan found huge holes all over the field but didn't have the skill or experience to exploit them. Other teams in the WWC won't be as forgiving.

10. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    It's tough to beat although New Fast Automatic Daffodils deserves a mention.

11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    8 PM kickoff for the SBC final game. If there is a winner in the England-Japan game US doesn't win the women's version of the Carolina Cup.

12. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Contracts?

13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Basically a number of the players do not have to qualify for the national team on merit. They have a contract. That blocks younger players--and I fear this team will get their heads handed to them at the World Cup--like Germany did in Russia last year.

LaMacchia repped this.
  14. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #14 Bill Archer, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    National team pool players are paid a salary by USSF.

Every December, USSF announces the roster of "allocated players" who they, not their NWSL team, pays to play soccer. It's a one year contract.

This year, although USSF has not for some reason made an official announcement (no one understands why) there are 22 women on the list, and they are the US Women's Soccer team for2019. Period.

(Note: Mexico and Canada were originally part of this arrangement; Mexico has since dropped out, Canada is still active.)

Players can be and are cut that one time.This year four players were cut.

You don't have to be in NWSL to be included in the US Player Pool; for example, center mid Lindsay Horan, for my money the best player on the team, (NWSL MVP last year) was with PSG's women for a few years; these women do not get the USSF subsidy but are paid when called in, like the men. But if you play overseas it's very very hard to get Jill Ellis to call you in; Horan gave up and came back even though it probably meant a pay cut and she loved it there)

Anyway, to your point: players are contracted for one year, and can be dropped.

However, this creates a lot of tension since when you're dropped from the list you take a huge pay cut (NWSL league max is, in theory, $40k but nobody gets that because it would mean pretty much everyone else on the roster has to make the minimum $15k in order to get the entire team under the salary cap).

So when someone is added, she has essentially turned the girl who got cut into a pauper who has to go back to asking Mom & Dad for help with the rent. That player's friends are angry and the new girl is not entirely welcomed.

Mostly though, if Ellis cuts you and you don't think you're going to get re-signed, you quit the game.

And players who Ellis doesn't like - like the openly Christian girl who is probably the best left back in the world and certainly our #1 by a mile, can't get on the team because Ellis, a lesbian, doesn't like Christians. So the US plays the wonderful Chrystal Dunn, a speed demon striker with mad ball skills, at left back because there isn't anyone else who's left footed.

There are stories like this all around the field.

Meanwhile, it's very hard to get onto Ellis' radar because you've got to really blow NWSL up and you have to do it quickly because you're a college grad making $15,000 a year to be, in a very real sense, a practice dummy for the USWNT players. Mostly, the whole league exists so that 22 girls can keep in shape.

A whole lot of players quit after a year or two because they're tired of being poor and it doesn't appear that Ellis gives a crap about you. And they don't get called in like the men do -bring a couple guys into camp, work them out, play a couple freindlies, see what they have. You're either on the team, getting the USSF salary,or you're not.

Basically - and there's a lot more - the system is rigged.

POdinCowtown, Timon19, DGA57 and 2 others repped this.
  15. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has been from the start when the NCAA let Dorrance run both the US team and North Carolina, which gave him an NCAA dynasty (mind you, he might have done it anyway). There were some decent players who had a hard time getting a sniff of the Nats (like Christie Welsh) because they didn't go to UNC.

16. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy sh*t.

I had no idea. My affinity for the "pureness" of the women's game just absolutely evaporated.

17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Yeah, that's a load of shit that a bunch of people manage to delude themselves into.

18. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18 Bill Archer, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    It's a closed system which lies to ambitious young women and keeps a select handful of players living well while everybody else struggles to eat.

Young women of some promise graduate from college, get drafted, play a couple years and quit because it stinks. But the federation and the league don't mind because every year there's a new crop of grads with dreams to exploit. And since they're only practice dummies for 22 other women, nobody really cares if they stay or go.

And the whole deal is orchestrated by USSF.

Edit: the big scandal this year is Sky Blue, the team in New Jersey. Their practice field was so dangerous that visiting teams refused to use it. They had no shower facilities so players had to drive home in their sweaty training gear. The apartments they had to live in had cardboard and/or plastic trash bags for windows. They have to wash their own uniforms. There is no equipment manager. The only sanitary facility they have is a porta potty.

It's an outrage.

Their top draft pick,a New Jersey native, told them not to pick her. They did anyway. She signed in Sweden. Their second draft pick took a coaching job rather than play in NWSL.

USSF made $160 million last year.

DOGSO, soccerncbus and LaMacchia repped this.
  19. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has an episode of HBO's Real Sports written all over it.

TKyle and Bill Archer repped this.
  20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except that it goes against the "common wisdom" of our modern society, so they likely won't look at it (basically that the "oppressed" cannot be "oppressors"--and vice versa, however you want to draw that). But people are, well, human. We're a mix of good and bad. So it happens. But it messes with some folks' carefully thought out theories about life, the universe, and everything.

The difference between practice and theory is that, in theory, there's no difference. But often, in practice, there is.

21. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, Socrates.

I still think it would be good TV.

LaMacchia repped this.
  22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt. I just don't expect it to happen.

23. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Don't know if I agree with part of his. I have no clue how much say Ellis has in her rosters. The players have had coaches canned before (Sermanni,Heinrichs) and other coaches could not drop players they didn't want (Pia). Ellis' job is part corporate stooge, part babysitter with a little soccer thrown in the mix. Her main job is to hold things together on a few fronts and not make a stink about it.

Bill is referring to Jaelene Hinkle, LB for Carolina and hands down best LB in our pool. Hinkle is Christian and decided to decline playing in friendlies where the USWNT was wearing rainbow numbers in support of the gay community. This caused quite the uproar in certain circles and I think USSF is more afraid to play Hinkle than Ellis.

Another thing about the contracts is how the players crap on NWSL. Lloyd went AWOL for a month after the US crashed out of the Olympics. Her club coach had no idea where she was or when she was returning. Rapinoe has no problem calling Washington's owner a homophobe because he didn't play the national anthem when she wanted it played so she could kneel. Never mind the money he is losing or her contract under FIFA rules which ban political protests while in uniform. Throw in an equal pay performance and it's easy to see how much power the players have. It also glosses over the real reasons Rapinoe, Lloyd and Morgan shouldn't be on the team and certainly not automatic starters. They're not good enough.

LaMacchia repped this.
  24. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    28 USWNT players just filed a class-action suit against US Soccer:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/08/sports/womens-soccer-team-lawsuit-gender-discrimination.html

25. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States