2019 U17 World Cup cycle

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by kba4life1, Oct 22, 2017.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Carrera, Dietz, Dobbelaere and AOC in.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Scally’s been very good. Easily our best today, IMO.

3. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    63'

Carrera, Dobbelaere, Dietz, and Ocampo-Chavez in.

Gray, Leyva, Yow, and Pepi out

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Kayo is struggling a lot. He’s always a step late. He picked up a needless yellow just now because of it.

Saldana was doing much better, even with the own goal he scored.

Lookingforleftbacks and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    I like that Wicky is flexible enough to realize what wasn't working in the first half. Allowing the guys to go much more route one.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    AOC nearly scores off a Scally cross, but the goalie flattens him before he can poke it home. That’s the kind of call that goalies always get, but shouldn’t. That would be a foul, if the attacker initiated that type of contact.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Anderson and Armour are in.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1658 autobus39, Oct 19, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    Anderson on for Scally 76'

Armour for Bello

EDIT: I was wrong, see below Armour came on for Jasson.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    4-1. Great strike from distance.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Armour actually came on for Jasson and is playing LW. I’d switch Bello and Armour, if both are going to be on the field at the same time.

Thundering165 and autobus39 repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Kobe has defended well on the ground. Why is he playing CB? Move him to LB.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Bello has looked good going forward. The issues have been when he loses the ball and his defensive awareness and positioning.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    On second thought, Carrera is also struggling. His reading of the game to go along with his lack of pace is problematic. There might not be a good option between Carrera and Bello right now.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Talles Magno has started walking through our defense, and the final whistle blows. 4-1. We were completely picked apart in the second half. The first half was even because Brazil was bad in the first half. We posed little threat all game. Once they started playing well, they dominated.

Not many good performances. Scally and Gray were good. Pepi, Busio, Las, Saldana and Kobe weren’t bad either.

Patrick167 and Sufjan Guzan repped this.
  15. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4-1 Brazil FT

Second half was less then ideal. However, some people like to say the key to success is failing and so that you can learn from it. So maybe the second half was a secret success?

16. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We might not make it out of our group.

17. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Doubt we were ready for pissing rain and cool temps in Teresopolis. Disappointed in our defense which is supposed to be our strong point. Otherwise just seemed we were out of position too often and off a step. Good experience for a friendly, though.

18. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Brazil is really good. Very talented and they’re bringing their best. They’re my favorite to win it.

Obviously the team has to improve but the 1st half was toe to toe with Brazil. If they can do that for 90 minutes they’re a title contender.

deejay repped this.
  19. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    My impressions/takeaways are a lot different than most here...

Starters were:
    Jasson---Pepi---Yow

----Busio--------Leyva
    -----------Saldana

Bello--Kobe--Gray--Scally

Las

The first half was an excellent display (and I think that is the half that matters the most by far at this point in preparation -- fitness, subs, weather, and mainly lack of depth [amplified by number of subs] all affected the second half significantly). I don't see how watching this performance against a host Brazil would not give a fan lots of confidence in how the team is coming into this tournament.

The US completely controlled play throughout the half in spite of a flurry from Brazil toward the end. Pepi's goal was deserved, and the amount of possession in Brazil's half and the circulation of the ball in that half of the field was very good.

Busio was tremendous, and there's no question he's elite at this level. It wasn't just the possession that had the US looking so good, it was the tempo they were playing with, and that mostly came from Busio. @watke , an all touch would be worth it. I am opposite of those who say he's overrated -- I think he should actually be very close to the senior team pool. Speaking of players that caliber, if Reyna had started in place of Jasson, that first half could have been that much more entertaining. Other than the inclusion of Reyna, the other change that I would like to see is Leyva sliding back for Saldana, and replacing with a more creative player there. That ain't gonna happen (because that player [Fuentes] isn't on the roster), so he or Kayo will have to do. We hardly got the ball in to Pepi's feet, and that has to be a little bit of a concern, but this group looks capable of representing the US very well.

Of the players who could be expected to be rusty: Kayo didn't play very well -- but he also came in under really difficult circumstances. Great to see Scally fit, but he was not great. He had at least four or five giveaways in the first half alone. He was crafty on one really nice run and served a dangerous ball or two into the box, so it's good seeing him do the things he is capable of in those moments, but he was rusty. So was Kobe -- even though he still oozes class when he's on the ball. Interestingly, it was actually Gray who had the best pass this game from the center back position. Bello was good overall, but not as dominant at this level as he might be able to reach.

Gacm32, USSoccerNova, Luksarus and 2 others repped this.
  20. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Where is Reyna?

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I mean...…………..Brazil is Brazil. These South American powers take these youth competitions seriously. This a very strong Brazil squad with everything it takes to win the whole tournament.

But the gap between our starting XI and the Brazil starting XI wasn't so great. We stood toe-to-toe, and that gives me hope.

I don't know who could have watched that first half and immediately thought we can't advance in this tournament.

Once we starting rotating in kids, bringing in subs, etc...…………...we completely lost momentum. There was some talent coming in as well. AOC and company. It just seems like in some positions our depth is a problem.

We've talked about certain problem positions all cycle, and they still look like problem positions.

22. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    think he has a game this morning (US time) with D'mund U19's.

Pl@ymaker and Winoman repped this.
  23. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    Definitely the first half was good. The team looked good.The second half was the opposite. I think the substitutions Wicky made were incorrect (maybe something positive to define the team). 2 of the 3 goals scored by Brazil in the second half were the responsibility of the defense and the goalkeeper. The fourth goal was an incredible long shot.
    I think this team can get good results but only with team A. I worried about the lack of depth and I think that will be a big problem in the tournament.
    A detail. A year ago played USA vs Brazil. The result was a victory of USA 3-2. The teams?
    USA: Las; Judge, Scally, Kobe, Armour, Gray; Stroud, Robles; Ocampo Chavez, Yow, Jasson
    Brazil: Bruno; Alysson, Yan, Eduardo, Henri; Kawan, Reinier, Silva, Talles; Jorge, Veron (almost the same team yesterday)
    Our coach was Tsakiris.

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  24. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I was only able to see the first half. There were a few times when I saw Busio drop really far back to collect the ball which can be a bad sign when it happens early -- and a clue that the defensive pressure and shape were causing problems.

Naturally, a defense that can keep the U.S. midfielders from receiving and turning is going to be tough to play against, since that basically requires either perfect movement and passing in response, or going over the top to relieve pressure.

With that said, I think that teams are not going to want to risk letting the U.S. go over the top with Reyna, Pepi and Yow/AOC. Too much of that and the U.S. puts four goals past you.

Gacm32, TarHeels17 and Winoman repped this.
  25. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, depth was a problem in the regional championships. That's why Wicky was compelled to do little rotation and ultimately the players wore out in the second half of the championship match.

I skimmed thru the first half.

- That was my first time seeing Jasson. Mediocre at best physical tools and didn't see take-on ability.
    - The team badly needs Reyna. Yow can maybe be second fiddle but can't be your playmaker. Pynadath will be missed, at the very least in a super sub capacity when the squad is having trouble creating.
    - Should play AOC at a-wing or 2 fw's in lieu to get best players on field.
    - Pepi is a monster prospect and really good player at this level. Good physical tools, great effort, and some dynamism + technique on the ball. The last steps will be filling out, fully controlling that lanky body he's probably new to, and being more anticipatory than reactive.
    - Gray was impressive. He seems to be growing technically and mentally.
    - I get the rust assessment for KHF. His passes were a little inaccurate. You see the audacity to even try that stuff and come close though. And he's so smooth on the ball. Plus smart player. Wish he wouldn't be partially wasted as a cb. Ideally would be lb or somewhere in cm even, maybe play a diamond and put him at lm.
    - Bello reminds me of Yedlin now. Physical gifts, adequate technique and awareness will make him sufficient usually. But will he ever get to that next level not being able to control a dribble or pass w/ any oomph on a sprint? Some real over-cooked crosses there.
    - Leyva was good from what I saw. Held up athletically because of those long strides and thinks the game a half step ahead.
    - Busio was a mixed bag. He's not adding a lot of ball-winning or creativity. But he connected defense to attack well and evaded pressure to maintain possession.
    - I guess Berhalter passed down the disease to Wicky of obsessively playing out of the back w/ everybody including your keeper, even against the toughest opponent possible. But you did see actual collective pressing, which was heartening.