2019 U17 World Cup cycle

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by kba4life1, Oct 22, 2017.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #126 ussoccer97531, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Thats what I'm assuming.

One thing I really like about this cycle is that the defense is superb. We didn't allow any goals in these game. Aside from the Netherlands game at the Nike Friendlies where we played the back ups, we were severely outmanned by Brazil and England, but only allowed three goals in those two games.

Last cycle was better than Pulisic cycle when it comes to defending. That cycle was so talented, but Williams destroyed their chances of doing well because there was no defensive structure and he was picking the longest tenured players instead of the best ones. Last cycle was pretty good, except for the CB's problems (that as we see now are mostly on Hackworth's poor judgement of CB's) and his insistence to not use Booth in a starting role.

This team struggles offensively, and in the possession game. The talent just isn't there in those aspects, our full-backs are the best chance creators on the team, but we can keep teams off the board really well because Las in goal and a Scally-Judge-Alejandre-Bello backline is incredibly good. It also seems like we are building good depth in those positions. Different type of team this cycle than previous cycles, but there's a chance that they could be an effective team. If we can add Nyeman (if he becomes eligible this cycle), and he can have a Carleton-type of offensive impact, maybe the offense will be close to what it was the previous two cycles.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  2. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Best 23 (if/when everyone's eligible):

I try not to list players I haven't seen play, but I'll list Cervantes and Pynadath, as they seem to be very highly rated. I might be wrong about this list, as I haven't seen all of the best players yet.

GK: Las, Wilson, Cervantes
    DF: Scally, Cuevas, Judge, Alejandre, Gray, Bello, Tolkin
    MF: Atencio, Saldana, Letayf, Nyeman, Reyna, Redzic, Robles, Pynadath, Dunbar
    FW: Ocampo-Chavez, Lopez

Alternates: Trejo, Jones, Escribano, Daley, Shehata, Hernandez Foster, Farnsworth, Chifamaba, Casas, Anderson, Fuentes, Sealy, Robbins, Busio

Las
    Scally-Judge-Alejandre-Bello
    Letayf
    Nyeman-Reyna
    Dunbar-Ocampo Chavez-Redzic

TheFalseNine repped this.
  4. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vs. Norway:
    [​IMG]

Pl@ymaker and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  5. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Google translate actually works well for Norwegian --> English, but I'll assume most people haven't made the effort and still post my own version.

U16s: We were good today
    USA scored the winning goal in stoppage time, but despite the loss it was a good ending to the tournament for the Norwegian boys.

There was another loss against the US in Spain for the U-16 national team today, but manager Erland Johnsen is in any case happy with the way that his team ended the tournament

"Even if we lost it was a really good ending to the tournament. It was a few steps up from when we met the US earlier this week. If we play like that in the future, we'll win a lot of matches," he said to fotball.no

- We were good today
    USA scored the winning goal right before the end

"We were good today against a good team. The last few days we've practiced to stay a bit lower on the pitch and then to drive forward in transitions, and today we were good at that. It was back and forth until the last ten minutes. Then we let it slip away. We played two 45-minute halves today and it was tough in the heat down here*, but it was a good test for the boys both physically and mentally."

"We are obviously disappointed that we lost the match in injury time, but the boys should be proud of their effort today. We had two shots hit the crossbar. We were close to scoring and deserved a draw even though the US had a few more chances than we did."

Giovanni Reyna was the match winner for the US.

They came around on our left side (so down the US' right wing), then crossed into the penalty area before they got a shot from 15 meters. The ball went in at the near post.

- Important that we play tournaments like this
    Johnsen is happy with the result of the trip to Spain.

"It's been a great trip. We have been able to work hard in good conditions. It's really important that we play tournaments like this against good opposition on grass (most fields in Norway are turf, and it's an issue for players when they leave Norway). It's something completely different than what the boys are used to in Norway," he says.

"We need to work to be even better coordinated in the attack so that we produce more chances. We have a bit to go when it comes to how we play and the individual technique of the players when we play on grass."

The next training for the U-16s is in Porsgrunn at the end of June.

* It always amuses me how, in Europe, you have to be a tough guy to play on a rainy night in Stoke, but somehow when it's hot the conditions aren't good for soccer and it has nothing to do with how tough and conditioned you are.

In any case, sounds like we were physically and technically ahead of the Norwegians. That we limited them well (even if they hit the post a few times, we still apparently had more chances than they did) and didn't allow them time to play how they're used to.

6. RiccardoSimone

RiccardoSimone New Member

United
    Italy
    Apr 24, 2018
    Looks like Jamie Dunning spent 2 years (2016-2018) with the FC Dallas MLS Academy as an attacking midfielder/winger. Evidently he played for FC Dallas U16 Academy team in Mexico against Atlas & Chivas Liga MX academies in a 2018 tournament [
    979765884620288000 is not a valid tweet id

Dunning appears to have also been called-up by the Canadian Youth National team [https://www.canadasoccer.com/canada...young-players-to-identification-camp-p160129) and to have attended the 2017 Generation Adidas ESP for the top 2002 MLS academy players [

TopDrawerSoccer shows Dunning played in the 2016 Mediterranean International Cup, the Copa Chivas Internacional, the Copa Rayados Internacional, the 2016 World Futsal Cup in Barcelona, and the 2017 Dallas Cup.

Interestingly, it appears Dunning was the only FC Dallas 2002 player called into the U.S. U\-15 national team camp in Bradenton Florida [https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...yer-roster-to-u15-bnt-domestic-training-camp) Seems FC Dallas Academy may have been attempting to hide quality players that have European passports...

7. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Why do you hate this Dunning kid so much? Your spamming this to 5 different threads turns everyone against him.

Anderson11 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Based on what I saw of the 03's in their own age group, here's who I would say could be worth a promotion to this team in the next few months.

Cuevas should be promoted. I think he will be. He was captaining the U-16's this week, and seems to be held in very high-regard at LAG and within US Soccer. I've been very impressed. I thought Casas, Freeman and Sealy were much more impressive today in what I saw than what I've seen of them with their club team playing up a year. If their performance with this team is closer to what they showed today than what they've shown with their club teams, I'd say they could be candidates to play with the U-17's.

But we already saw Sealy get a chance with the U-17's at the Nike Friendlies, and he didn't play particularly well. He wasn't called back in after that. For now, I'd hold off on promoting any of them. I'd also add in Sorenson, but I'd like to see more of him play before I say he should be called into the U-17's. Nyeman is an obvious call-up when he becomes eligible. Last cycle, the first odd year call ups came in August of the first year, so I'd say thats about when we could expect to see those call ups this cycle. Cuevas, Nyeman (if eligible), potentially one or two of Casas, Freeman, Sealy, Sorenson, Chifamba, etc, If they can get Pepi to switch back from Mexico, I'd call him up to the U-17's, I've been impressed by what I've seen from him.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It does?

Tactical Hipster repped this.
  10. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tbh I saw it in 5 threads and ignored it in every one

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Payback for Dunning?

12. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Not sure this is the best thread but in the Bolivia call up discussions our complete lack of strikers options was lamented. I'm not really up to speed on this U-17 cycle or the younger sets so can someone tell me about our current youth striker pool, minus Sargeant. What are some names and how deep plus wide do we currently think said pool is?

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Ebobisse ('97), Wright ('98), Vazquez ('98), Weah ('00), Sargent ('00), Soto ('00), Holcomb ('00)

Ebobisse is kind of like an Altidore in playing style. Never gets on the field because he plays for Portland. I think Wright is the most talented striker in the pool, but needs more playing time on loan next season. Vazquez is a target guy who Atlanta is developing really poorly as a winger. Weah is extremely fast, good finisher, good movement, but kind of limited, besides that. He's not good on the wing. You already said you know about Sargent. I've only seen Soto play once, and I personally wasn't impressed, but his goal-scoring record is pretty impressive. He's really emerging of late. Holcomb has a similar goal scoring record to Soto, although a tick or two less impressive. I have not seen him play yet, but the highlight video I've seen isn't that impressive.

Reynolds ('01), Stojanovic ('01), Butler ('01), Ocampo-Chavez ('02), Reyna ('02), Toure ('04)

Among younger age groups, Reynolds could be a poor man's Wright, if he develops well. Right now, thats not happening. FC Dallas is using him as a RB because they don't have enough depth at that position. Stojanovic has showed well in his YNT age group. Good height, moves well, scores goals, good target play. I think he's underrated, not such a highly regarded player by many, but I wouldn't be shocked with an eventual breakthrough. Butler plays at Bayern, and is doing pretty well in their academy. I haven't seen him play, so I can't comment on his playing style.

Ocampo-Chavez might be the next big name to come through at the position. Reminds me some of Sargent with better technical ability. Reyna could probably end up in any of the front 4 positions. Hard to know at this point, but he's a very good footballer. One of the best in his age group. Toure's the top '04 talent right now. He's playing up a year with YNT's, and is playing with much older age groups at the club level. Really fast, left footed, can dribble some, scores a lot of goals. Wait and see, considering his age, but he's very highly regarded.

gunnerfan7, KUSA77, Namdynamo and 5 others repped this.
  14. OneGoodKnee

OneGoodKnee Member

Jun 5, 2003
    SLC, UT
    I’ve seen a bit of Soto and got to watch Holcomb play RSL Academy and Soto last Saturday.

Soto is the more complete player, drops into space, can play with his back to goal, combines well. Appears plenty fast and quick. In my limited viewing a deadly finisher. Appears that he could fit in a number of systems/roles.

Holcomb needs service and want to run on, very little combination play. Not sure if his team was just overmatched but he couldn’t find the ball. Had one golden chance when rsl botched a restart, in alone on keeper straight down the heart and missed wide. He was very frustrated with ref, teammates and the game in general. To his credit he did put pressure on RSL and he was the only player mentioned by m Vasquez at halftime, essentially about how to deal with his runs. From my perspective pretty one dimensional and didn’t finish his one clear cut chance.

15. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve been down on Reyna as a wing or a 10. But if he sticks there, I’d really like him as a CF. He doesn’t seem fast enough to me to be effective at higher levels at the wing or 10, but his finishing, shooting, and ability to create around the box make him a perfect CF prospect, as long as he keeps growing

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He's already 6'0+.

17. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey out of curiosity, do you have any links to archived games of these players? I feel like I’m falling way behind in my youth evals cuz video has been much harder to come by than years past.

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I can't find them now, but I'll get back to you on this by the end of the week.

19. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I especially want to see Soto if you have links for those. But all the other guys, too

20. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And btw not just the center forwards. I’ve seen plenty of Ebobisse, Weah, Sargent, Wright, and Vazquez. It’s the other guys and most of the U17s and younger that I haven’t.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Kevin Bright an '03 CM at AC Milan seems to be doing pretty well. Maybe he could be in contention for a call up to this team eventually.

gunnerfan7, KUSA77, TheFalseNine and 3 others repped this.
  22. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...oncurrent-training-camps-in-bradenton-florida

U.S. U-17 Men’s National Team Roster by Position:

GOALKEEPERS (5): Aaron Cervantes (Pateadores; Chino Hills, Calif.), Damian Las (Chicago Fire; Chicago, Ill.), *Chituru Odunze (Vancouver Whitecaps FC; Calgary, Canada), Marzuq Puckerin (FC Greater Boston Bolts; Cambridge, Mass.), *Ethan Wady (Chelsea FC; Surrey, United Kingdom)

DEFENDERS (9): Axel Alejandre (FC United; Chicago, Ill.), Michael Barragan (Atlas FC; Guadalajara, Mexico), *Erik Centeno (Sacramento Republic FC; Stockton, Calif.), Amir Daley (New York Red Bulls; Elmont, N.Y.), Tayvon Gray (New York City FC; Bronx, N.Y.), Owen Guske (Portland Timbers; Saint Johns, Fla.), Kobe Hernandez (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.), Mason Judge (Chargers Soccer Club, Tampa, Fla.), John Tolkin (New York Red Bulls; Chatham, N.J.)

MIDFIELDERS (8): *Simon Carlson (United Futbol Academy; Norcross, Ga.), Luis Flores (Shattuck- Saint Mary's; Half Moon Bay, Calif.), Gilbert Fuentes (San Jose Earthquakes; Tracy, Calif.), Jack Imperato (De Anza Force; San Jose, Calif.), *Harrison Robledo (New York City FC; Greenwich, Conn.), Adam Saldana (Real So Cal; Panorama City, Calif.), Ray Serrano (Seattle Sounders FC; Graham, Wash.), Peter Stroud (New York Red Bulls; Chester, N.J.)

FORWARDS (7): Andres Jasson (New York City FC; Greenwich, Conn.), Diego Lopez (Atlanta United FC; Chino, Calif.), Alfonso Ocampo Chavez (Seattle Sounders FC; Fresno, Calif.), Joshua Pynadath (AFC Ajax; Amsterdam, Netherlands), Benjamin Redzic (FC Dallas; Carrollton, Texas), *David Rodriguez (FC Dallas; Irving, Texas), *Griffin Yow (DC United; Clifton, N.J.)

ChuckMe92, gunnerfan7, Pl@ymaker and 5 others repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Does anyone else have a problem with the coach of the team not attending the camp? That seems so counterproductive. It'll be his job to pick the qualifying team and the U-17 WC team, if we qualify. How can he properly assess the newer players? This shows how poorly organized our federation is that they can't get someone else to sit on the bench at the senior level. They need to disrupt a U-17 camp due to a lack of USSF coaches.

Interesting roster though. Wady from Chelsea gets his first call up in goal. Odunze has been in a Canadian YNT camp before. He's the starting keeper for the Whitecaps U17 team. A lot of competition at the keeper position, and its likely just a battle for spots 2 and 3, anyway, but its good to see we have a lot of keeper options. Some of the regulars (Bello, Scally, Busio, Reyna) aren't here, so its certainly more of an identification camp. Yow isn't a bad shout for a call up. Don't know much about the other new call ups. In total, there are 6 new call ups for this cycle, two of them the keepers mentioned above. Rodriguez at FC Dallas is listed with Mexican nationality.

IHSSOC, Pl@ymaker and TheFalseNine repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The DA season is pretty much over. Here's my best 23 for this age group. Harder to get a good read on this age group due to the lack of U-17 camps, but I've seen all these guys play (besides Pynadath, Wady, Barragan and Quieroz), so I think I have a good read on my preferred squad.

GK: Las, Wilson, Cervantes
    DF: Scally, Cuevas, Hall, Judge, Alejandre, Gray, Bello, Gomez
    MF: Atencio, Saldana, Letayf, Panagos, Nyeman, Redzic, Pynadath, Dunbar, Sarver
    FW: Reyna, Ocampo-Chavez, Pepi

Alternates: Trejo, Wady, Centeno, Escribano, Barragan Nielsen, Hernandez-Foster, Stroud, Chifamba, Fuentes, Robles, Quieroz, Yow, Busio, Lopez

Notes:

I'lll start with whats controversial. Fuentes and Busio (already on professional contracts) are not in my best 23. I've never been a big fan of either. This '02 age group has really struggled with attacking creativity and possession. I don't think these two are the main reasons for it, but there needs to be an overall clear out because a lot of the regulars were not getting the job done. I don't think this group is great offensively, but I think the players I named give the team some needed possession and creativity.

My squad has 6 03's. I doubt that many will get picked because the older players usually get preference, but a number of the 03's I've seen are better than the 02's who've been getting called up. The two '03 RB's Cuevas and Hall are seasoned competitors. That squad has 3 RB's, but its that way on purpose. The lack of CB options means I would use Scally at CB, if needed, and I'd also like to see how he'd do as a #8. I'd keep him as the RB starter, but use him at other positions when needed, and let the two talented '03 back ups take the rest of the minutes. I don't see much quality among the '02 back up LB options, so Gomez as an '03 LB comes right in. I was thoroughly impressed by what I've seen of him. Looks like a complete difference maker.

Nyeman is a lock IMO, and probably the team's best player. If he is eligible and doesn't make this team, Hackworth is committing malpractice. Its not even close whether he should make the team. Sarver could easily be left off, but his pace is much needed in a wide midfield role. Not as a starter, but off the bench. Pepi wasn't in the last Mexico '03 camp. He has been in the US set-up not that long ago. He was playing with our U-16's in January, so maybe he's not committed to playing with Mexico. If he's not, call him up. He's deserving of a spot, and I wouldn't say we want to just hand him over to Mexico. I was considering Lopez and Pepi for a back up target forward role, and while I'd say they are about even right now in overall ability, advantage to Pepi for being younger, the recent Mexico call up and I think he's a bigger talent.

The big weakness in this team I see is a lack of center back depth and the unproven attack. I haven't every player who could be good enough to make this team, so I don't claim to have complete knowledge of the possible players for this team, but from what I've seen, I just don't see any CB depth. I would've added a 4th CB, but there wasn't a player who really belongs on this team. Nielsen might be the next closest guy, but I'm not sure he's good enough. Its good that Gray has emerged as an option 3. For option 4, I'd consider Scally and Atencio in that role. I think thats somewhat sufficient depth to get by, but in terms of actual CB's, we have 3 I've seen with any level of quality.

And the other weakness is the attack. The players Hackworth has been using don't get the job done against better teams. They can't keep possession and don't create attacking chances. He could stick with them and hope to bunker his way to results or he could change the group completely, like I suggest. Thats not a great option either. A lot of really unproven players, but its a youth national team, and I believe the aim should be to call in the best prospects. Maybe by qualifying this group could be integrated and ready to play well.

The strength of this team is the back line. IMO, this cycle will have the best keeper we've had at this level and the best two full-backs we've had at this level. I also think the two starting CB's are solid. They aren't spectacular and might not even be among the better pro prospects on this team, but considering the CB problems we've had the last couple of cycles at this level, they aren't all too bad.

There are a lot of options in midfield. To narrow it down, I don't think its smart to use Nyeman as a #8. He'll make his biggest difference as a #10. This team needs all the difference makers they can get offensively, so keep him there instead of in a more defensive role. I think what I'd do for the starting holding mid pairing is Atencio and Letayf.

They somewhat fill the same role as #6's, but neither are pure destroyers. They have decent feet and can pass the ball. I don't think they are going to make runs into the box, but the way I'd situate this is they can play a double 6 role (mostly a L-R thing), which'll allow Nyeman to have almost no defensive responsibility. You could bring Saldana in for one of the two as a #8 option. Really reliable #8 who does a lot well, but he's not a must start player, IMO. Panagos is there towards the end of the roster. Need a second #8, but not in starting consideration right now.

For the front four, Nyeman, Reyna and Ocampo-Chavez all gotta be in the lineup, IMO. I'd probably go with Redzic for the last spot. I haven't seen Pynadath, so given I'm not sure, I'm not going to put him in the lineup. Dunbar, I'd call him in, but need to see more. Sarver is not a starting option yet. I'd have Nyeman as the #10, Reyna at RW, Redzic at LW, Ocampo-Chavez at CF.

Lineup would be this.

4-2-3-1

Las
    Atencio-Letayf
    Reyna-Nyeman-Redzic
    Ocampo-Chavez

TheFalseNine repped this.
  25. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Isn't Nyeman a prototype #8 who can actually play defense? Reyna isn't good defender.
    I'd pull Nyeman back to #8, left just 1 #6 and played something like.
    Las
    Atencio(Letayf)
    Pynadath-Nyeman-Redzic
    OC Reyna
    Morphing it into skinny diamond, what Scally, Bello at FBs are asking for