2019 U17 World Cup cycle

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by kba4life1, Oct 22, 2017.

1. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    '03 Ian Drake and '04 Wyatt Erber. Haven't watched them play but they're both highly rated

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    American players have semi-routinely trained with Feyenoord over the years, some of them YNT-level. Obviously, most of them do not end up joining -- many, I suspect, for (at least in part) the simple reason that they're under 18 with no access to a European passport or other eligibility.

Ayden Nocus comes to mind. He's evidently with FC Dallas now. And Austin Welch is with Columbus.

3. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
    Here's the most recent video I could find of Jamie Dunning from when he was 13. Seems to have US, UK and Canadian citizenship.

And similarly to Zyen Jones, I find it hugely promising that Feyenoord is interested in a player who seems to be a second-tier prospect (given @ussoccer97531's post above). Speaks to progress in domestic youth development that quality European clubs are taking an interest in these types of prospects.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Honestly I don't understand how this kid wasn't able to make A team. Starting to suspect that there are some internal issues in Dallas.

RiccardoSimone and USSoccerNova repped this.
  5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Why? Have you seen him play?

Dallas doesn't use many 02's on the U-17 squad. They only have 7 listed on the roster, one of which hasn't played. Only three of the 02's are regular starters (Wilson, Garcia, Redzic). Diego Letayf ('02) who looks like the best player on the team struggles to get playing time. They use a lot of mediocre 01's over better 02's, I wouldn't call that internal issues, its a team with a lot of players, and they can't give everyone playing time on the U-17's, so the younger players will have their playing time suffer. Thats the way it works at one of the best academies in the country. It might actually be easier to get playing time at Feyenoord than Dallas.

The "internal issues" seem to be higher up at the club, with the first team.

6. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Only clips, which I liked, but clips are deceptive. But I'm inclined to trust Feyenoord. They also missed on Parks, hard to believe he wouldn't switch to them if was seriously recruited. And especially the first team. All the youth that they are putting on the field amount to nothing so far except for hugely overrated Acosta. Will see what happens to Pax.

7. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Was looking around for torneo delle nazioni clips on YT and found some highlights of the CB Judge in the tourney -

He has a euro passport according to the vid

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Good: Players who start the cycle in the system don't get an automatic spot on the U-17 WC team.

Its been just over 6 months since the U-17 WC ended, and I feel like the best 21 of that age group is close to half different than the team picked.

Bolded weren't picked.

GK: Garces, Fowler, Shakes
    DF: Lindsey, Gloster, Dest, Richards, Araujo, Crain, Asensio
    MF: Durkin, Sands, Goslin, Ledezma, Carleton, de la Fuente, Mines, Acosta
    FW: Weah, Sargent, Soto

And I'm sure there would be one or two disagreements here about the best 21, but this speaks to the problem when 1/3 or more of the best roster just over 6 months out is different. Have certain players improved so much since September and others have regressed so much? I'd argue that these players probably haven't improved that much. Instead, there was too much invested in players who clearly weren't good enough. Certain players got spots because they were in the program for a few years. Players who had emerged didn't get a chance to work their way onto the roster.

I think this will be closer to corrected this cycle, given there's no Bradenton.

Bad: This team certainly seems to be playing a lot less games. I don't think they've yet played in any tournament this cycle. We might see closer to the best roster for qualifying and the U-17 WC, but will the cohesiveness be there? We've had such a big advantage in that department on other teams since Bradenton started. I don't know why there's not constant camps. Is playing U-17 and U-19 DA games so important?

RiccardoSimone and USSoccerNova repped this.
  9. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only tournament they've played is the Nike Friendlies, right? Feels like I'm missing one though.

10. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    U-17 camp held in spain is starting today or tomorrow

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Camp or tournament?

12. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a tournament. Here's the release, just put out by US Soccer:

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...-face-india-and-norway-in-2018-sportchain-cup

And the roster:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Aaron Cervantes (Pateadores; Chino Hills, Calif.), Damian Las (Chicago Fire; Chicago, Ill.)

DEFENDERS (8): Axel Alejandre (FC United; Chicago, Ill.), Michael Barragan (Atlas FC; Guadalajara, Mexico), George Bello (Atlanta United FC; Douglasville, Ga.), Tayvon Gray (New York City FC; Bronx, N.Y.), Kobe Hernandez (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.), Mason Judge (Chargers Soccer Club; Tampa, Fla.), Joseph Scally (New York City FC; Lake Grove, N.Y.), John Tolkin (New York Red Bulls; Chatham, N.J.)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Luis Flores (Shattuck-Saint Mary's; Half Moon Bay, Calif.), Gilbert Fuentes (San Jose Earthquakes; Tracy, Calif.), Cesar Garcia (FC Dallas; Carrollton, Texas), Jack Imperato (De Anza Force; San Jose, Calif.), Andres Jasson (New York City FC; Greenwich, Conn.), Adam Saldana (Real So Cal; Panorama City, Calif.), Peter Stroud (New York Red Bulls; Chester, N.J.)

FORWARDS (7): Adam Armour (New York City FC; Cary, N.C.), Gianluca Busio (Sporting Kansas City; Greensboro, N.C.), Diego Lopez (Atlanta United FC; Chino, Calif.), Joshua Pynadath (AFC Ajax; Amsterdam, Netherlands), Benjamin Redzic (FC Dallas; Carrollton, Texas), Giovanni Reyna (New York City FC; Bedford Corners, N.Y.), Ray Serrano (Seattle Sounders FC; Graham, Wash.)

Namdynamo, ckajMonet, ChuckMe92 and 3 others repped this.
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe there will be streams for these games?

14. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had previously believed Barragan was a CB but apparently he is actually a FB who also has played some winger.

ckajMonet repped this.
  15. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see Redzic called up. Wonder if Ocampo-Chavez and Duke are injured.

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Ocampo-Chavez was sick or something like that at the GA Cup, which was a few weeks ago, so maybe he still is. Duke is an '01.

TarHeels17 repped this.
  17. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    Ocampo-Chavez had surgery recently, not sure what it was for

This tweet says they'll be streamed

18. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That twitter account is lacking information about the promised stream. The US Soccer website article doesn't refer to a stream. Its schedule page has stopped listing all matches, another downgrade in a world where technology is supposed to set us free.

I couldn't find anything from the India Football Federation. The Norwegian Football Association site is all Norwegian to me.

A web search for Sportchain Cup led me here: https://www.sportskeeda.com/footbal...ing-date-start-time-and-where-to-watch-online

"Date: 16 April 2018

Match: India U16 vs USA U16

Timing: 3:30 PM Indian Standard Time (IST) [6 AM ET, 3 AM PT]

Venue: Facsa Football Centre in Benicasim, Spain.

Television Channel: No telecast

Live Stream: No live stream"

I doubt there is a stream. I'm not getting up for a 3 AM kickoff without confirmation.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't know what this means because I can't figure out which language this is, but the person who claimed it responded to someone who asked about it.

20. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing on the Norwegian site about a stream, although it is telling that they had the full match list and squad list published on their website about 2 weeks before we did. They also have full match information, and each of their players names are hyperlinked to a database where you can see their full statistics for club and country. I guess they just have way more resources than we have... :unsure:

Anyways, this seems to be a fairly weak group for them. They've lost fairly convincingly to the Czechs, lost two to Serbia, and drew Slovenia (with a not-really-impressive destruction of Gibraltar thrown in there). They have maybe two or three who have had limited playing time with either the second team of a big club or the first team of a small club in the 2nd-3rd-4th divisions. That would be like top-level NCAA - regular division I - lower division NCAA level. Mostly though they play at their age level in the youth competition here.

21. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    #96 ckajMonet, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  22. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    1-0 win. I watched bits and pieces of the stream and thought we were middling. India could have taken this game in a smash and grab seeing as we had trouble breaking down their defense, but they failed to convert any of their chances

23. As part of the Feyenoord-St Louis Gallagher cooperation on a regular basis the best talents go to Rotterdam to be trained and progress evaluated in a week/two weeks stint at the academy.

24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I tried watching a few minutes, but you just cannot see anything.

25. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States