2019 U17 World Cup cycle

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by kba4life1, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    That is to say that we are 3 days from the beginning of the tournament and there is not yet an official list. Surprising

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunday seems to be the day more lineups come out than any other. Can't be high profile enough to come out at halftime of one of the MLS playoff games is it?

3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Bello isn't in the 18 for Atlanta today. That means he should be released for the Nike Friendlies.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is quite an assumption on your part. I would not be that confident.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I am saying I think he should be released.

6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1066850238323937285 is not a valid tweet id

Peretz48, LouisZ, Namdynamo and 4 others repped this.
  7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If nothing else, Costa has quick feet on the ball. That is good to see.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And good size.

9. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the US can replicate the absolute SMASHING that Portugal handed to Brazil. Probably not though ... I don't think anyone saw that coming.

10. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I hope they don't. There is nothing dirtier than Brazil youth teams. Honduras and Salvador are nice gentlemen compared to them. I'll take any result over broken legs. I wouldn't even play Reyna in that game.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  11. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol some of you always say this kind of stuff.

Who was the last USYNT to suffer a serious injury due to an opponent's challenge? (I'm 100 knocking on wood as I type).

Zelalem tore his ACL - but it was the bad pass from a teammate that did it.

It's soccer.

12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    No, Brazil youth teams fight for their lives. Actually they ruined Renken's career.

13. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10 years ago.

It's international soccer. Youth at the elite level.

If you're not fighting for your life, you shouldn't be a part of the spectacle.

14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Let's return to that after the game.

15. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honduras injured 4 players in the last U20 CONCACAF Championship. Every sub was for an injured player, and the last few minutes we had EPB hobbling around.

I don't think of Brazil as particularly dirty, but it's almost like you've never watched El Salvador or Honduras. Easily 2 of the dirtiest teams in the region, and not just to us, but any team stronger or equal to them.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #517 ussoccer97531, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Preferred team following Nike Friendlies.

GK: Las, Wilson
    DF: Scally, Bello, Carrera, Gray, Alejandre, Gomez, Cuevas
    MF: Stroud, Atencio, Penagos, Saldana, Nyeman, Reyna, Busio, Dunbar, Freeman
    FW: Ocampo-Chavez, Pepi

Goal is simple enough. Las is the clear #1. Wilson is the clear best alternative. I've added Nico Carrera here at CB. I received reliable info that he is probably eligible for the USA. If so, he's good enough to play here. He gives the team a bigger type of CB who can play, despite being a little on the slow side. I've seen enough of Judge. He's depth-level. Gomez and Cuevas are the best back ups at the FB spots, but they are 03's, so they aren't getting the same chances. Enough of Armour and co. Get rid of the mediocrity. Atencio needs to be brought back into the team in CM. He's the best holding mid in the pool. Penagos might be needed with Saldana's struggles against high level competition. Nyeman, if fit.

Dunbar has earned his spot in this team. I don't know why he got so few minutes at the Nike Friendlies. He was good when he played. I'm no Busio fan, but the other options are even worse. Yow very much disappointed. I had seen him play a number of times, but hadn't been paying such close attention to his game in those games. Upon further review, I'm less impressed. Decision making and playmaking is worse than I thought. Freeman takes the last attacking mid spot, although I think he's gaining on Busio. CF is also simple enough. AOC with Pepi as his back up. Reyna and Busio can also be options at the position, but are more likely options as attacking mids.

I'd like to see some experimentation in the lineup. Put Scally in CM as a box to box guy, and see how he plays. Cuevas can cover his role at RWB. I also think Gomez could be a good LCB. Carrera and Gray fit a three CB formation better than two. Give Bello as much offensive freedom as he needs. A lot of the attacking creativity will come from him.

Las
    Gray-Carrera-Gomez
    Cuevas-Atencio-Scally-Bello
    Nyeman
    Reyna-AOC

17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nico Carrera and his father both have twitter feeds. His father, Juan Carrera, has in the past talked quite a bit about USYNTs. So it does seem to be something they are watching...…………

Based on a bunch of comments on Juan's twitter feed, I wondered if they left Mexico due to a citizenship issue.

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    ShaftBrewer, KUSA77, Namdynamo and 4 others repped this.
  19. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    You don't think Fuentes is worth a spot?

Pl@ymaker and don Lamb repped this.
  20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I finished watching the Sacramento Republic match against Richmond United from the Winter Showcase. Mario Penagos is the best natural #8 in the U-17 pool, IMO. Very good player. He's been excellent both times I've watched him play. He makes a lot of plays that'll play at any level. The U-17's need an attacking style of #8 who can connect the defense to the attack. Thats what Penagos does best. You could make argument's for some other players in that position (Scally, Reyna, Nyeman), but all those options revolve around playing those guys out of position or in a position that isn't their usual position.

Patrick167 repped this.
  22. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How come Penagos wasn't invited for the last tourney?

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think his lack of call ups is one of the biggest oversights in this age group. He was called into his first U-17 camp in September, so maybe they are starting to watch his game closer. It might also have something to do with him playing outside of an MLS academy. Only 2 of the 20 on the roster play in the USA for non-MLS academy teams.

LouisZ and TheFalseNine repped this.
  24. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Holy propaganda piece. Of course Mexico wants more US youth players to fill their league's rosters and enlarge their national team pool.
    What will they give us in return? More Car Parts?