2019 U17 World Cup cycle

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by kba4life1, Oct 22, 2017.

1. DanielS1085

DanielS1085 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    May 8, 2017
    In the US Open Cup. Came on as a 2nd half sub.

don Lamb repped this.
  2. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Gotcha. I thought you were talking about this weekend...

3. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm watching the USL championship and Louisville just did that play from the last U17 cycle where Carleton would pretend to get into an argument with the other free kick taker and then take an in-swinger. I guess it was Hack's idea the whole time.

Anderson11 and CommunityShop repped this.
  4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or the sensei stole it from his student.

5. mitrecondors4life

United States
    Aug 28, 2018
    Looks like it will be Turkey, Portugal, and Brazil at this year’s Nike Friendlies. Now if only we had a coach and roster announcement...

6. bpet15

bpet15 Member+

Oct 4, 2016
    Shambles.

7. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    Dates?

8. mitrecondors4life

United States
    Aug 28, 2018
    don Lamb, ckajMonet and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. BraveUpNorth

BraveUpNorth Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Heard through the local grapevine that Masango Akale , Mulwelle’s little brother, is one of 24 being called in prior to the Nike Friendlies. 20 of the 24 will play the games.

KUSA77, ChuckMe92, TarHeels17 and 6 others repped this.
  10. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you heard anything about Minnesota United getting U17 and U19 teams into the DA? It's pretty ridiculous that it's taken them this long. That's a marked sign of a dysfunctional franchise.

11. BraveUpNorth

BraveUpNorth Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Agreed on the dysfunction. The slow roll of the academy has been damaging in my opinion. They lost some real talent by handling it this way. Caden Clark (03) has been playing out at Barca Academy the last two years b/c he had no local MLS academy to play with. Ricardo Vera (03) just accepted an offer to go out a play for the Portland Timbers Academy. In addition to these that seem already gone, Tomas Piza (02)was identified through the Alianza program and received invites to trial from Pumas, Leon, Pachuca, and Santos and is currently with Santos trialing. Jack Morris (03) has been training with Columbus and Portland during the last year. If MNUFC is not careful, they may miss out on these boys too.
    But it does seem they are finally getting their act together and will field a full academy next season. Rumor is that MTA will be leaving the DA to make room for MNUFC. A recent change in a FAQ on MNUFC site bears this out too:
    Will you add older DA teams?

Yes, we will add U16/17 and U18/19 teams for the 2019–20 year. We are working closely with US Soccer on phasing in additional teams.

https://www.mnufc.com/academy/faq

Hopefully this will not be a case of too little too late for these older teams.

12. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    The guys at Scuffed do a good job of reviewing the U17 pool leading up to the Nike Friendlies. The podcast is lengthy, but worth a listen.

Check out @zlebmada’s Tweet:

13. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any more info on these friendlies? I will be in the Tampa Bay area for part of this (if the dates are indeed Nov 28 - Dec 2) and can report on one of our games.

14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Probably a Wednesday-Friday-Saturday schedule. We've always played the late game on each day. Usually around 7 the first two days, and then during the day on Sunday. The last game is usually also against Brazil.

15. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wednesday Friday Sunday ... if the Brazilian article is to be believed. I'm just trying to figure out IF the article is to be believed. I will be staying within 15 minutes of the games, on Friday, November 30, if it happens then.

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Typo, thats what I meant.

17. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rayo Vallecano's Andre Costa is apparently in the squad for the Nike Friendlies.

18. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ocampo-Chavez, Odunze, Saldana, and Yow are on their way to Florida too. Odunze seems to be considered the firm #2 to Las, preferred to Cervantes, Wilson, Wady, etc.

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #494 ussoccer97531, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Last year there was a camp prior to the tournament where 24 players were called in, and four were cut, so I wouldn't be sure that every player that is joining the team will play at the tournament.

My preferred 24 man roster:

GK: Las, Wilson, Cervantes, Odunze
    DF: Scally, Cuevas, Judge, Gray, Alejandre, Hernandez-Foster, Bello, Gomez
    MF: Atencio, Stroud, Saldana, Panagos, Nyeman, Yow, Freeman, Dunbar, Costa
    FW: Ocampo-Chavez, Pepi, Reyna

Preferred cuts: Odunze, Cervantes, Hernandez-Foster, Costa

Atlanta's first two LB's are now both available, so I think Bello will be available to play here. Busio is still regularly making the bench for SKC, so I don't think he'll be available. Its hard to know for sure though. It might not be known until after this weekend's games.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  20. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gilbert Fuentes

don Lamb repped this.
  21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Bringing a guy in from Europe for his first-ever YNT callup just so you can cut him a few days later is some serious commitment to whatever process it is that is going through your head when you write these posts. Surely you are either the coach himself or the most USYNT-obsessed person ever to grace the internet. Either way, nice to make your acquaintance!

22. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing that this is rumored to begin next week, when will the games and times be OFFICIALLY acknowledged??? Enquiring minds want to know (in order to plan my time down there).

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Its usually announced the week of the tournament. I'd guess Monday or Tuesday.

Last year our games were

Wednesday: 7PM
    Friday: 7PM
    Sunday: 5PM

Winoman, Pl@ymaker and onefineesq repped this.
  24. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the information. But damn, they don't give much advance notice at all. But I will report back here on the Friday game against Turkey (the Brazilian site says that Brazil plays Portugal that day, so we would have to be playing Turkey).

Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  25. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #500 ChuckMe92, Nov 24, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    Roster so far: Alejandre, Armour, Costa, Cameron Dunbar (believe it's his first U17 callup), Gray, Hernandez-Foster, Ocampo-Chavez, Odunze, Reilly, Reyna, Saldana, Scally, Yow.