2019 U-20 World Cup Roster Discussion

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many U20 camps did Yedlin go to?

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    #1452 Dave Marino-Nachison, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    A number that still makes Cerrillo's callup historically unusual. We're talking four times (including twice this cycle) in four U20 cycles across more than 300 players. (Edit: And Weah arguably doesn't count, since he was already MNT-capped.) Looking at the actual numbers, it's about a 1-in-100 shot.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    FIFA lists Araujo at 5'10. I'd keep him full-time at CB, and don't think about moving him to RB or CM. Even if he was only 5'9, he's very strong and good in the air for a player his size. His quality is wasted not using him at CB.

4. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    U20 Americans playing regularly in MLS is historically unusual. Having a US U20 player playing ahead of the US U20 Qualifying starter at one club is historically unusual. ;)

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  5. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Did Zelalem attend a single camp before his U-20 debut?

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, @Clint Eastwood - this is good insight. I agree with you, and it seems like we still have ample depth at the wide forward positions with Weah (assuming Soto starts as the #9), de la Fuente, Llanez, and Pomykal should Ramos choose to play him there.

I still would've loved to have seen Jonathan Amon on this squad. His pace and direct-ness would have created real problems for defenders at this level, and I think he would have been the ideal pacey attacking sub on the wing. I would have taken him over Rennicks, and relied on Weah and Soto as the #9s. I think Amon is a better player today and a better prospect than Akinola, for example.

LouisZ repped this.
  7. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    Will appearing in a U-20 WC game have any implications for Ledezma, Mendez, Llanez, Soto, et al's ability to switch to Mexico on the senior level?

They would have to already be Mexican citizens, right? Are Mexican citizens' kids automatically citizens themselves? (I know that varies by country.)

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    He did not. He's the one not already mentioned here (Weah, Edwin C., Yedlin).

IIRC, Ramos didn't even play him in the tuneups in 2015!

9. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They all have Mexican parents and all but Ledezma appeared in the CONCACAF Qualifying tournament which provisionally cap-tied them. This tournament won't do anything else in terms of tying them down.

10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This is an alarming quote from Ramos. This is not something new about his skill-set. Isn't his job to know this type of thing?

http://www.espn.com/soccer/club/uni...dream-now-hes-ready-to-star-at-u-20-world-cup

11. frankburgers

frankburgers Member+

May 31, 2016
    hoping for:

--------weah------soto-----KdlF

-----------Paxton---------mendez

---------------------durkin

gloster---richards---Mckenzie----dest

------------------ochoa

slider4CU repped this.
  12. ShaftBrewer

ShaftBrewer Member+

Jul 18, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Namdynamo, TarHeels17, Starman* and 3 others repped this.
  13. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    What am I missing with de la Fuente? I’m fine with his inclusion and even okay with him bagging a few starts but I don’t see him as all that talented. He appears to have a good first touch and physical strength but doesn’t look special in terms of speed, dribbling or final product. Doesn’t look to be the most versatile guy either.

If he’s fit I prefer Llanez out there.

14. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Huh? Those 3 things are literally his strengths lol

15. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    I’d be shocked if he gets 10 career appearances in a big 4 league. He has one pullback move that takes him to the end line for the narrow-angle cross. He doesn’t possess anything else that catches the eye. I don’t see him out-running anyone who is decently pacy.

Not a terrible player and he could be a factor for us in the Cup but I don’t think he’s a top 5 prospect in the side.

16. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think this is because he's right footed playing rw. He did say his best position is LW

TarHeels17 repped this.
  17. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ??? The kid has everything you think he doesn't have. This tournament will be a good measuring stick.

jjmack repped this.
  18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    These are the tournaments where we find out. Last tournament we figured out Adams was good, Zelalem was fragile and that Klinsmann didn't suck. Until then it's guess work.

19. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bsky22, Namdynamo, twoolley and 2 others repped this.
  20. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apologies if I am misinterpreting the conversation, but Yedlin was called in to the U20s before the U20 WC.

IIRC, Yedlin had a bad camp and was tossed out of the picture until he worked his way back in with a hot start to his pro career.

(Cached version because the article link on Google Search got redirected on the USSF website. It seems they have yet again redesigned their site to make it more "mobile-friendly". In layman's terms, that means "worse".)

https://webcache.googleusercontent..../ft-lauderdale-camp+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  21. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    You're right. That was the only time he was called in before the Finals, and we got to spend the entire cycle talking about snubs. (SNUBS!) Serves me right for not reading my own tracker more carefully and for trusting my own memory. Who could forget all those SNUBS?!?!

Of course, that just makes the Cerrillo pick that much more ... wait for it ... "historically unusual."

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Cerrillo is undoubtedly unusual. For a kid's first USYNT callup of any kind to be the U20 World Cup roster...........................

Talk about one that NOBODY saw coming. A year ago not even the most die-hard FCD youth watcher would have predicted it.

When was the first time that the name Edwin Cerrillo was even named as being "in the pool" in the U20 threads?

23. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first time Cerrillo was highlighted in a post was in April 2018. That poster must be an extremely stable genius because the first 12 mentions of Cerrillo in this forum are all from him!

The first time anyone even hinted at Cerrillo and the YNTs was in early February 2019.

Fake edit: Since this forum relishes in misspelling Edwin Cerrillo's last name, I looked up "Cerillo" and found a middling review of his work as a FCD U17 left winger in 2017.

eneste, Namdynamo, olephill2 and 2 others repped this.
  24. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    I don't get this reasoning. You don't have a program that prepares for big tournaments like a Youth WC without having an experienced idea about how your players stack up BEFORE the whistle blows. If you're finding out which one of your guys can't compete in the first group match, there's a problem.

25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    If coaches and managers were always right, whose firing would we demand?

(Probably still Tab's.)

matabala repped this.