2019 U-20 World Cup Roster Discussion

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by ussoccer97531, Nov 23, 2018.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think the obvious omissions there are Gomez and Wilson. Letayf would be another big omission, but he's not yet eligible to play for the USA, and was going to play for Mexico in the tournament until an injury.

There are still some other good players in that team like Escribano, Che, Carrera, Garcia, Sealy, Rodriguez, Redzic.

He's not close from what I heard. I wouldn't expect him to be playing for our U-20's. Carrera is the player on that team who seems to be much closer to citizenship.

The overall point you are making is one I agree with though. His injury keeps him US-eligible until the next big youth tournament (U-20 WCQ), so he's at least relevant towards the USYNT player pool for another few years.

2. Lookingforleftbacks

Galaxy
    United States
    Dec 17, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure I’ve ever seen Akinola when he did look match fit :p

3. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wouldn’t surprise me.

4. USSoccerNova

USSoccerNova Member+

Sep 28, 2005
  5. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    What about Ledezma? Will playing in this tournament change his status in any way in regards to Mexico?

6. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    idk...on one hand a lot of the worst players on u20 have been college players but there have also been some really good ones too. it was always cool to see some unproven players "prove" themselves with youth national teams.

i'm definitely glad that the team is all pros now...but i still wish college soccer was still a legit avenue as well.

i think there are still college players out there who could be great u20 players but there are just too many pros and there just arent enough roster spots to ever consider them now. i think it would be a mistake to look at that graph and say college players have gotten worse or that they arent good enough anymore....its just now there are soo many more pros in that age group. even college players are being basically frozen out of mls now....same thing there, imo - there's just not enough spots left by the time clubs consider college players....homegrown and academy players take the spots college players used to fight for....but that doesnt mean college players of today couldnt become good mls players if nurtured and given chances like they used to get.

USSoccerNova and Luksarus repped this.
  7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Well, I will defer to @Sandon Mibut 's expertise, but as recently as CONCACAF qualifying (Nov 2018) we had multiple college players on the squad. A pro-only squad for the Finals makes sense for many reasons, but two of them are (1) college is out-of-season, so the timing is all wrong; and (2) promising college players may have gone pro between qualifying and the Finals (e.g., Rennicks).

xbhaskarx repped this.
  8. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    1-In fact its a perfect system because club football correlates with club football over time
    2-Some have not played their youth, many have. Its based on their talent vs other players on their team. Not the fault of MLS but the talent of the player. Again this is the better method to decide if a player is worth buying than playing 3 games vs 19 yr olds.
    3-Just not true. They do scout tournaments just they scout leagues. If someone looks promising during a short few game tournament vs youth players they then start scouting them with their club teams vs adults over a longer period of time because its more accurate. Many times they already know about the player and further scout them during the tournament.
    4/5-I don't even know what these mean. Players talent gets them on bigger clubs not some esoteric process of just getting on bigger clubs. Prove to me that you are good enough for first team top league football and it will happen, that doesn't come from a youth tournament for a few games.
    Are you confusing youth football with first team football?

don Lamb repped this.
  9. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I have never seen nor believe that CDM's can easily transition to outside backs.
    Just not similar passing angles, athletic needs, nor defensive responsibilities.
    I don't think Tab does either.

xbhaskarx repped this.
  10. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    They are going to get quality loans because they are good talented young players that everyone in Europe already knows about, not because they play well in a few US tournament games.

11. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    I also think Weah is a CF.

But do you sit Soto now and Sargent in the future even if Weah is the best CF of the bunch? I don’t think either of those guys can play wide and it’s not like there are top-rate wide players in the set-up besides Pulisic and a lot of people want him central anyway. Weah CAN play wide- he has a good work rate and a great right foot either to cross or to cut in on.

I don’t think it’s an issue unless our CFs prove to be consistently ineffective. That’s how national teams are. Only the world class guys (but even the likes of John Obi-Mikel and Michael Essien in their primes were moved off their spots to accommodate lesser players) get to write themselves into a lineup. It’s not a big deal.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I was mostly referring to the latter part of that tweet. Ramos shouldn't be preparing Weah to play winger with the senior NT.

If it makes a lot more sense in his team to use Weah as a winger, go ahead and do that. I don't have a big problem with Weah playing LW and Soto CF in the starting XI on this roster, as long as they aren't going to play with two strikers. I would hope he's not had discussions with Berhalter about using Weah as a winger because thats where Berhalter sees a team need with the USMNT, and wants him to get reps at. Berhalter shouldn't be instructing Ramos about how to run his team. Berhalter's senior team call ups should come purely from performances at the club level, so it doesn't make any sense for Berhalter to instruct Ramos to prepare Weah (in youth games) for senior NT games.

I also don't see the point in trying to move around the positions of 18 year old footballers due to the positions of 18 year old footballers. None of these guys are yet entrenched in the NT. Its possible some of them will fall off, and others will emerge. its possible they all fall off. Its possible they all turn into great CF's. If thats what happens, you figure that out once it does happen. If you need to use Weah as a winger in five years because of the other CF options, thats a discussion for five years down the road. Its not a discussion for now.

jjmack and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  13. LuckofLichaj

LuckofLichaj Member+

Mar 9, 2012
    I’m with you except for the last paragraph. If Weah is the best or second best winger in the side and Soto proves to be a good CF, they should play Weah on the wing.

14. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    How about Thank you

16. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He was pretty frisky with the u17's

17. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    SCSAutism, Balerion, Pl@ymaker and 3 others repped this.
  18. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha you really think talent is the sole determinant of playing time? okay.

in my opinion, talent can be developed in different ways that will lead to different outcomes. the environment a players is in matters as much as talent. if a player is favored by the coach or not rated by the coach makes a huge difference for example...and different coaches rate the same players differently. if a player goes too long without playing...they might have their long-term development jeopardized. the youth teams should try to help the players get into good club situations to benefit the senior team...that includes players like weah and de la fuente who are already owned by massive clubs....and it also includes players from mls and its academies as well.

we see it differntly....there's a lot more to who becomes successful than "talent"...although i agree that if you display a high enough level of talent, you will succeed....but there is so much more to it.

Soccerfan12435 repped this.
  19. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At playing soccer, or doing shots?

20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    When it comes to the World Cup...…………..all that matters is winning. And if playing Weah on the wing and Soto up top gives us the best chance to do that, then its what we should do.

I don't think its necessarily the best option. What I will say is that when I saw Amon left off of this roster, my first thought was that Weah must be there to play on the wing...………………….

I'm actually not so worried about this team up top. This team is going to score goals, and I have faith they'll score goals against good teams. I worry about the defense, which has been a thin pool since the start of this cycle. That's the way it goes. The last couple of cycle have been CB rich, this one is rich in other areas.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Do you feel satisfaction trying to spew hate towards an 18 year old kid on the internet?

I'd hope that every single one of you that does this knows the kid and he's wronged you personally in some way. Otherwise, it says a lot about your own psychological state.

deejay, btlove, Patrick167 and 1 other person repped this.
  23. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
  24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe my eyes are failing me more and more as the days go by but it is difficult for me to see anything in that tweet.

25. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    If you maximize the video (see lower right corner of screen) you'll be able to see it more clearly.

Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.